No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is over behind those apartments over on the left, looking back at the field.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Thanks, Fussbudget

A bit more on my process:

The youth baseball field is 100 percent North American, and the combination with the football/soccer field is very USIan.

The flag on the right in the third photo is a New York State flag.

The beige sign on the right of the first photo was a bit of a red herring, as it looks very much like a California State Historical Marker

though the surroundings are very much not the Sierra Nevada, the locus of the only ski jump in California.
      A landmark marker?

Why not mark the landmark?

Comment

It is presumably a pitch that has feautured on one of the this week's matchgoing threads. Also, given the railway line over the back, on BB&F's trains at football twitter account (I can;t remember what it;s called)

Comment

I've had a quick look round - was quite hopeful Cricklewood Wanderers would throw up something useful, but no luck so far!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            It was the Manor Place Baths (which included an industrial laundry) and was also used for public meetings and boxing matches. Sadly and unsurprisingly, it has now been converted into flats, offices and retail

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor_Place_Baths

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/b...od-23-05-2018/
            Ooh, thank you very much. I didn't do a very thorough job there did I. From a distance I thought it was a particularly fancy-looking factory but closer up it looked more residential/hotel-like and I couldn't work out where the chimney came in. It makes complete sense now

Comment

I lived around the corner from it and never really knew what it was, or if I had known back then I'd so completely forgotten that even Ursus's links didn't trigger any residual memories. I did think it was interesting enough in Streetview that it might be something some of our SE postcode dwellers might recall walking past, but that was it

Comment

I have some thoughts on the train from the new one but I need to sit down and look at it properly

Comment

The livery is quite hard to make out, but the catenary looks very much "four track main line".

Comment

It's made more difficult by train operating companies failing changing so often that if the StreetView is a few years old it could be an old livery. Also the line is electrified but this particular train might not be so again hard to narrow down the type of rolling stock. The windows remind me a bit of old Mark 3 carriages but not sure any current livery matches that.

Agree that it looks like a mainline, or maybe the approach to a largish station

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      It's made more difficult by train operating companies failing changing so often that if the StreetView is a few years old it could be an old livery. Also the line is electrified but this particular train might not be so again hard to narrow down the type of rolling stock. The windows remind me a bit of old Mark 3 carriages but not sure any current livery matches that.

Agree that it looks like a mainline, or maybe the approach to a largish station
                      Even if StreetView is fairly up to date it could still be an old livery. It can take ages for new branding to appear on some trains.

Anyway, it certainly looks like a four-track main line and the gantries holding the wires look quite substantial - those for more recent electrifications such as the ECML are lighter in structure. This has the look (to me) of the West Coast Main Line out of Euston, possibly in NW London somewhere.
                      Last edited by Capybara; 06-10-2022, 14:49.

Comment

OK - I thought this one made it too easy(ish). Back at the starting spot to look at those trainlines.

Comment

Oh. I hadn't actually spotted that there were two railway lines in the first photo.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4485...7i16384!8i8192

Comment

Yes, a rather heavy traffic one at that. The house with the white door was my grandparents home (where my mother grew up) - sleeping there was an interesting adjustment due to the trains. The field opposite has been one of BB&F matchday fields and was very popular for picking magic mushrooms.

Comment

So I should hand over to someone else now as I don't actually know what to do next.

Comment

I used to live under half a mile from that but didn't recognise anything, including after the apparent easy give-away last one.

Comment

You can't compete with the railway folk, San Bernardhinault. I actually started looking nearer whereabouts you lived (I would expect) but I didn't find anything too fun to work with. Though the Streetview was all shot at a time that makes the Toastrack almost invisible until you are right by it.

Comment

The place I lived was a little further south, equidistant from the toastrack and your location.

Comment

Ha, I lived on Moseley Road when I was at Uni, so less than half a mile away. Didn’t recognise it at all!

Comment

OK, since nobody else has put one up lately, I'll have a go.

Comment

I originally thought that what looks like a French flag was a red herring (the light and vegetation isn't very French), but the street markings look to say "PAYANT"

Has the grey vehicle taken that turn at 100 kph?

Comment

And the street signs are dark blue so we're probably at least technically in France. I'll be honest, I wouldn't have pegged this as a French location at all without those clues and suspect we're not in metropolitan France. The building and vegetation on the right look like something you'd find in a colonial location/overseas territory and the cars also seem too big. The quality of the image suggests somewhere that doesn't have a lot of good quality StreetView

Comment

Bingo, we're in Nouméa, Nouvelle-Calédonie

Comment

Didn't think that would take that long, particularly once Fuss took a look.

Comment

The light almost threw me because it doesn't look like somewhere especially warm at first glance

On your scooters:

Comment

As you have said, you have a type.

could be a lot of places on a number of different continents, but is unlikely to be North America.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X