No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some googling, I'm pretty sure that the script is what you'd expect for the location, and isn't Khmer.

Comment

OK, well having compared it doesn't look to me like Thai, Lao or Vietnamese, so maybe I was in completely the wrong part of the world. I did wonder if it could be subcontinental, but it also doesn't look Bengali, Mayalalam, Gujurati etc.

Tamil, then, maybe? Gonna go and have a poke around Sri Lanka for starters.

Comment

This is not too far from the next upstream crossing of the river (at least that I can find on Google), though there is a dam or 2 between and it appears to be about 30 miles away by crow (the next downstream one is only about 10 crow miles).

Comment

Oh, that last was from a photosphere.

Comment

I think that's probably a Sri Lankan ground - the blue kit the guys are wearing looks SL but could be India. The disruption in the fabric of the universe at the bowler's end suggest we're all going to die as the everything collapses in on itself.

So, the obvious places are Galle, Kandy and Colombo, I guess. And if we're going upstream to the cricket it has to be Kandy.

Comment

So, for the tap in:

First image

https://goo.gl/maps/2EkwzA2woqoBg8vu7

Comment

And the one with the recycling instructions:

https://goo.gl/maps/GFzhQ3QCpU1MZuPn6

I won't bother hunting down the photosphere

Comment

Comment

Well I assume we must be in London, although those rooves (roofs?) at the far end remind me of East Anglia/Suffolk....

Comment

The state of those bins. There's some right scruffs around

It's not obvious to me that it's definitely London although it's plausible, especially with that hint of skyscrapers at the back

Comment

Looking back the other way

Comment

The Met's vehicles are similar , but look to feature yellow more prominently when viewed from this angle

Comment

Comment

Right and left

Comment

Fine, London then. Including some nice railway arches

The two sides don't look like they've got very much to do with each other but I suppose London is like that

Edit: wow, we've moved on since that second picture!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The Met's vehicles are similar , but look to feature yellow more prominently when viewed from this angle
                                  I assume it's the bright light making the yellow look washed out, because I struggle to think what other city it could be

Comment

For a second I thought there was a helicopter on top of that skyscraper on the left and then I wondered if it was unfinished, but it looks like it's actually Highpoint in Elephant & Castle and the stuff at the top is, how you say, a feature

Comment

...which takes us to this junction

Comment

Nice job Fuss.

Nearby:
                                        https://goo.gl/maps/7T7KHEz2dmSUwR9x6
                                        Click one step forwards and giant towers magically appear!

Comment

Well done. Thought the skyscraper might be the giveaway. It didn’t exist when I used to live in the flats in the opening pic (which I think is the only “notable” thing about this location)

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                            Nice job Fuss.

Nearby:
                                            https://goo.gl/maps/7T7KHEz2dmSUwR9x6
                                            Click one step forwards and giant towers magically appear!
                                            Ooh, quality Sunflower Effect there!

Well done on finding the Sri Lanka one – I spent a long time earlier hunting, but I think I spent so much of that circumnavigating the coastal regions somewhere more or less right in the middle of the island eluded me alas.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              Well done. Thought the skyscraper might be the giveaway. It didn’t exist when I used to live in the flats in the opening pic (which I think is the only “notable” thing about this location)
                                              Ta! I'd actually started looking for that nice Victorian building at the end but moved to the skyscraper as I was getting nowhere. Good thing as that building appears to be a complete dead end, even having found it I still can't tell what it's called, what it was or even if that industrial chimney belongs to it or not.

I won't be able to do a new one until tomorrow afternoon at best so someone else should have a go

Comment

It was the Manor Place Baths (which included an industrial laundry) and was also used for public meetings and boxing matches. Sadly and unsurprisingly, it has now been converted into flats, offices and retail

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor_Place_Baths

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/b...od-23-05-2018/

Comment

Alright. I am gonna throw this one up. It is not a unique appearance on OTF.

Comment

Had to go back to get you all fine resolution.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X