"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    And here's the empty junction with all the strange lampposts and yellow zebra crossings:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2782...i5500?hl=en-GB
    Last mile delivery! Well done.

It's just outside Yerevan so I thought Staph might have reached it a couple of hours ago but he probably just lost the will to live long before then

Not that it matters but did anyone notice there was some Cyrillic writing at the top of the tower in the 21:43 picture? It says Sipan which happens to also be the name of a nearby village so I thought it might have tipped you off earlier about the country

Comment

Oh, now you see I did immediately think that was writing when I first looked at that – but I equally immediately convinced myself I was just seeing things and it was in actual fact merely a line of windows. So I didn't even get around to opening up the image separately and zooming in on it to check!

Comment

No idea about the new one. It feels... Portuguese maybe? Really not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Last mile delivery! Well done.

It's just outside Yerevan so I thought Staph might have reached it a couple of hours ago but he probably just lost the will to live long before then

Not that it matters but did anyone notice there was some Cyrillic writing at the top of the tower in the 21:43 picture? It says Sipan which happens to also be the name of a nearby village so I thought it might have tipped you off earlier about the country
          I had to take my daughter shopping and pick my son up. I'd far rather have been poking around Armenia on google maps than doing the former, though there's no guarantee that I'd actually have found the place.

Comment

Some good mirror action in the latest. It also looks like they've blurred the dog's tail to prevent identification.

Comment

OK, since my new one still seems to be live as I type, here's that second shot.

We've crossed over the water diagonally and off to the left of the first shot, and are now facing away from it on the far side. I chose this particular spot because you get a terrific view of a vintage silver Fiat Panda in the foreground. In fact, there's even a second, mint green one of similar age in the background too – draw an imaginary line straight up from the first one's left headlight, and you'll find it parked at a rather rakish angle on the far side of the street:

Comment

I can't quite tell if that's writing on the building just to the right of the trash can or not.
                edit: in the first shot.

Comment

One of the restaurants on the other side looks like it's called Gusto so maybe Italy? Or just an Italian restaurant called Gusto somewhere else which isn't exactly rare

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                    Some good mirror action in the latest. It also looks like they've blurred the dog's tail to prevent identification.
                    Yes I liked that mirror too – alas there doesn't seem to be an angle where it'll show the camera car, though!

I suspect the dog may have got ahead of the game, privacy-wise, by blurring its own tail... but you never know, it may be that Google's Canine Advisory Trust is very proactive when it comes to making sure their cat nemeses can identify them online.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      One of the restaurants on the other side looks like it's called Gusto so maybe Italy? Or just an Italian restaurant called Gusto somewhere else which isn't exactly rare
                      Good eyes, Fuss!

On the other hand, good luck with narrowing that one down:

(I'll give you a hint – it's not any of those autocorrect suggestions...)

Comment

Found the town, just looking for the exact position

Comment

Here we go for the first one:
                          Bosa, Sardinia
                          https://goo.gl/maps/SzqtFmf7LnVTTtGD7

Comment

...and here are your fiats:
                            https://goo.gl/maps/NgLQ8wzdAUKT7c8Y8

Comment

Was the castle on the hill coming up next?

Comment

I don't think we've had one of these yet:

where230.jpg

Comment

Hmm, let's try that again:

Comment

Looking left from mid-stream:

Comment

...and right:

Comment

The truck here is turning onto the road that leads down to the ford.

Comment

Sorry to miss you getting my one just after I logged off last night, well done! The castle on the hill would indeed have been a good next shot, though I confess I hadn't actually thought any further ahead. Good work on finding the man and dog, that would have been compounded by them only appearing in that specific shot i.e. if you go up and down the street it switches to a different day I believe.

Seeing yours now, I'm immediately getting 'South-east Asia', but no further than that at first glance...

Comment

Hah, I should have reloaded first, hadn't seen your new addition! I think that looks like Khmer script on the sign, which would place us in Cambodia.

Comment

I've seen green tuktuks in Bangladesh, but I have a feeling that isn't the right script. My ability with non-latin scripts is basically zero, so I'll trust VA on this.

Comment

Oh blimey, I wouldn't if I were you. I certainly had no luck searching Cambodia earlier, but then again it's not the smallest of areas so – even allowing for the relatively low density of StreetView coverage – I could very easily have missed it. And that's assuming I've even got the right country.

Comment

Well, I also am not great with scripts, so can't vouch for what language the sign is in. I will say that we're not in Cambodia, though.

Comment

Bugger.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X