Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most recently Russia, I believe

Comment

Just noticed I was wrong about that first location, if you move a tiny bit and turn around there's more scenery and - get this - a car!

Comment

Someone is collecting street lamp prototypes.

I was going to suggest Central Asia, but the Beemer is giving me pause.

Then again, it is only one vehicle on an essentially empty road.

Comment

Ha! I saw that faded yellow triangle on blue sign on the first image as a giant mural on the building, not a close-up signpost.

Comment

Some pretty barren looking mountains in the background, which would match with a Central Asian vibe. It also has the feeling, perhaps, of a bit of a university campus during a part of the year when students are at home.

I'm not sure that the parking entrance under the building in the first pic is very helpful but might imply horrible winter weather.

Comment

Good news lads, we've found all the cars.

We're slightly foward from the first picture, just past the intersection

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                Ha! I saw that faded yellow triangle on blue sign on the first image as a giant mural on the building, not a close-up signpost.
                Heh, I did that too at first glance. It's funny how powerful the optical illusions can be when you've got no clues otherwise as to what exactly you're looking at.

Comment

Looking left of that last picture:

Comment

Ooh OK, things just got interesting, in a heroes-of-the-revolution kind of way.

Those figures are fun, are they embracing in a manly fashion? Trying to work out what the one on the left is wielding – a cutlass? A small digeridoo? A 9-iron?

Comment

Frustratingly I can't get any closer but I've zoomed in so you can have a better look. It's clearly a very long hash pipe, or maybe a Nike swoosh

Avid readers of Commando might be able to work out some stuff from the hats or uniforms, it's well beyond me whether they're any help

Comment

One has a scimitar/sword and one has a Kalashnikov

They aren't heroes of the Revolution. They are a Central Asian patriot and his Soviet era 'comrade" It is a type withore than one example.

Armenia or one of the Central Asian republics, but I have to do some work now.

Comment

I believe that we've come across tree painting (so far) in most ex-USSR countries, Luxembourg and Mexico

Comment

Yes I've been trekking around central Asia myself trying to find a likely spot – it's definitely got that ex-Soviet-state, 'planned capital' kind of feel, but I'm blowed if I can find somewhere that fits the sort landscape and actually has StreetView coverage to any degree.

Comment

Yerevan has yellow crosswalks.

Comment

...though they all appear to say "STOP" in red on the first stripe, so maybe not.

Comment

ursus has very much the right idea about the statue but bizarrely (having now seen a better picture) the Russian lad has a uniform and weapon from the Napoleonic Wars, for reasons unclear to me. Not that it's any help like, just as a point of accuracy

Comment

Here's the other side of the monument just for the sheer weirdness of it

Comment

Ah, you are right

That makes Armenia, especially Eastern Armenia more likely because of Russian Armenia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...ia?wprov=sfti1

And means that he is a Russian not a Soviet (see also the headgear)

Comment

The disembodied head is a separate monument by the way, to a writer and poet particularly important to this place

Comment

...so important in fact that they named the town after him...

Comment

It must be Abovian, then

Comment

Very possibly...

Comment

Ahh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2784...i5500?hl=en-GB

Comment

And here's the empty junction with all the strange lampposts and yellow zebra crossings:
                                                  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2782...i5500?hl=en-GB

Comment

I can claim very little credit for finding that one, of course, the legwork having all been done already – but if I might offer up the next one:

I'd go and try to find a second shot to leave here before I go to sleep, but I presume that during the 90 seconds or so that will take me someone will look in and instantly recognise the spot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X