No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, is this bus stop famous or something? It isn't at all obvious to me where we are (other than somewhere on the Scottish coast, possibly on an island)

Comment

Same as Fussbudget, except I wouldn't have even known Scotland if jdsx hadn't said it.

Comment

The bus stop isn't famous (but as bus stops go, there are certainly worse places to wait for a bus) and the location might not be immediately obvious, but is (evidently) findable.

To narrow it down I'll confirm it's on an island (and I don't mean the big island many of us are sitting on).

Comment

Another view of the car park.

Comment

I wondered if it was where Local Hero was filmed, but that doesn't seem right now.

Comment

Isle of Arran

I did enjoy the Shetland News headline 'Airport car park full' though

Comment

Also what the hell has happened in Stornaway:

August 2009

June 2022

Am I missing something here? Is it full of Brexiters?

If someone's got one ready feel free to step in by the way. Otherwise I'll put one up in a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  Another view of the car park.

Heh, I just followed the road around to try to experience the view from the bus stop, but when you get there it runs away!

That is, as soon as you step into the car-park the StreetView changes from 2021 to 2009 – at which point it wasn't in its current position by the layby on the 'shoulder' of the headland, but 30 yards further inland where the car-park meets the road. So you can only stand by where it was and see it now from a relative distance, but when you try to go and see it up close you find it's shifted back to where you just were.

Comment

Western Isles voted 55% Remain

https://www.electoralcommission.org....egion-scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                      Indeed, and because I don't usually pick spots at random, I can reveal it is the start point of the Isle of Arran Half Marathon (the finish is the small playing field behind the butcher's shop, after a 13 mile loop round various roads in that end of Arran). Post race drinks can be had in the bar of the hotel, and then they shuttle you back to the ferry from that bus stop.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Yeah that seemed an unlikely explanation. I thought it might be full of well-off English retirees like Shetland seems to be
                        #notallEnglishretirees

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                          Oh I feel bad now! Are you not too young to have had cataracts already? Rotten luck
                          Only just catching up from yesterday – thanks for the contrite thought Fuss but don't worry, just one of those things.

But yeah, I was first diagnosed with cataracts when I was only 19 or 20. Very unusual indeed, needless to say – though at least I had really stonkingly good ones, apparently, so they borrowed my eyes to use in textbooks. Um, via photographing them in the opthalmology lab, I mean. I had that first one operated on when I was 21, but the second one only developed much more slowly so it wasn't until I was 33 that I 'finally' had it done as well... although even that would have been exceptionally young for cataracts as a rule. Both my grandfathers had had theirs done in the interim, for perspective!

Usually of course when you have your eyes' own focusing lenses replaced with fixed-focus plastic ones, they at least give you a pair that roughly match each other – but since my brain had shown it could evidently cope for fully a dozen years with its visual input coming via one eye with a focal distance fixed at around arm's length and the other one working-normally-though-gradually-clouding, the consultant for the second surgery decided I'd continue to bodge along OK if he gave me a completely different 'prescription' so that I could continue to have a range of distances accessible.

What this means though is that whilst the first one (my left eye) is focused about 3 feet away, my right eye's is now somewhere off in the middle distance. The amazing thing is that even though consequently neither may have much of a sharp view of something at any one time, my brain somehow puts all the mangled information together and generally gives me an actually pretty good and perfectly normal-seeming stereoscopic portrait of the world.

But when it comes to specifics, I can't read stuff up close at all with my right and can't make details out in the distance with my left. Since no one pair of glasses can cope with the full range of conflicting needs, it means I need one pair for distance viewing and a separate varifocal pair for reading and up to computer distance (in theory) – though in practice the 'sweet spot' for getting things to look sharp at screen distance is small enough I find it more comfortable not to wear any when I'm on the computer, as I say. Otherwise I'm forever leaning in and out to get just the right position.

This does however mean my left eye is doing the bulk of the work at this range, though I don't generally notice this unless I shut it and see just how blurry the monitor looks through the right one alone. That factored-in blurriness though is what will have stopped me noticing that errant 'Tucson' in the last pic I posted, unfortunately...!

Comment

Fascinating. Also, it appears, this is close to the way they now try and fix long-sightedness in old people who want top-up laser surgery. At least, that's what I understood when I went in last year. I had my laser-eyes done a decade ago, and apparently they're still tip-top quality of seeing things a long way away. But because I'm an old man, I'm rubbish at reading stuff close to me without reading glasses. So I asked what could be done.

They said they'd chop open one of my eyes and put a big lump of glass-lens in so that I'd basically have an in-built reading glass in one eye, but not the other. They said it would hurt and take a while to recover. And then I would have to completely re-learn how I see, so I use one eye for far away and one for close up. This is how far science has advanced.

I decided that it sounded like a pretty foolish idea to do voluntarily.

Comment

Hello lamp post fans reading this

Comment

My son has one eye that's very short sighted (like both of mine) and one that's slightly long sighted. Which currently doesn't bother him in the slightest as he can happily use each eye for different activities. The problem's going to come if he wants to get a driving license, as there they check your eyes separately and he'll need to get glasses (or contacts) for the short sighted one, which will cause a different issue as then everything will look a much different size in each eye.

Comment

Not a lot to be going on in Fuss's most recent. It's a lovely lamppost. I think they're driving on the right. That's about it so far for me

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    Fascinating. Also, it appears, this is close to the way they now try and fix long-sightedness in old people who want top-up laser surgery. At least, that's what I understood when I went in last year. I had my laser-eyes done a decade ago, and apparently they're still tip-top quality of seeing things a long way away. But because I'm an old man, I'm rubbish at reading stuff close to me without reading glasses. So I asked what could be done.

They said they'd chop open one of my eyes and put a big lump of glass-lens in so that I'd basically have an in-built reading glass in one eye, but not the other. They said it would hurt and take a while to recover. And then I would have to completely re-learn how I see, so I use one eye for far away and one for close up. This is how far science has advanced.

I decided that it sounded like a pretty foolish idea to do voluntarily.
                                    Wowzers, yes you're not kidding there! At least my mismatched bionic eyes are something that 'evolved' out of circumstance rather than me deciding to do something quite so radical voluntarily.

I have to say, I rather like glasses: I've never quite lost the original sense of wonder at the near-magical effect of plonking these things in front of your gaze and seeing the world suddenly snap into focus. And they make my frankly quite dull face look slightly more interesting.

So all being equal, I'd not only never have chosen the invasive option, but I don't think I'd even have tried contact lenses. (I certainly don't fancy them now, and equally to the point I don't think there's any type available that could cater for my particular combo of opthalmic needs – at least, none that wouldn't cost a bomb.) I've always dismissed the idea of them as being too fiddly and easy to lose, I couldn't be arsed with sticking my fingers in my eyes twice a day to apply and remove the things, and you obviously have to either stick them in cleansing solution every day or – if using disposables – keep buying them, as opposed to the largely one-off investment in a pair of specs. Certainly the minor inconveniences of having to find/carry the correct glasses and giving them the occasional clean, and in my particular case having to juggle two pairs, don't seem like much hassle in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                      he'll need to get glasses (or contacts) for the short sighted one, which will cause a different issue as then everything will look a much different size in each eye.
                                      This is something that's really obvious once you say it but I wouldn't really have thought about otherwise! My instinct is that his brain, like mine, will learn to combine the different images it's receiving so as to make a 'logical', comprehendible picture of the world around him... but obviously when behind the wheel the precise sizes of things – and, by extension, their precise distances – are a matter of rather more pressing importance. I hope he can find a workable solution in due course!

Comment

The yellow crosswalks probably narrow it down, but I'm not sure how to easily find out where to. Switzerland has ones like that, I think, but then probably so do other places.
                                        The washed-outness of the speed limit sign opposite makes me doubt that the yellow diamond is really that colour to try and match that up, and the other two signs aren't clear enough.

Comment

Sorry for the sidetrack, all.

I love that lamppost in Fuss's image, but not getting far with where we might be as can't even tell which way the traffic flow is. The big open roads and the style of building visible made me tend towards the US at first, but I'm wondering if it could perhaps be somewhere like Canberra – which I know is built on a rather inhuman, or at least impersonal, scale as a rule.

I feel the yellow zebra crossings ought to narrow down the options somewhat, but don't know anything about that subject off the top of my head.

Comment

Hahah, your first sentence and my last one just said almost the same thing verbatim there!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              Sorry for the sidetrack, all.
                                              No no that was interesting, although I'll admit I haven't closely read all the eye-related discussion that followed because I'm incredibly squeamish about eyes (the words 'chop open' jumped out at me from SB's post when I scrolled down and I thought 'nah, not reading that')

Comment

Meanwhile in our mystery location

Comment

I should say that I've moved slightly because there was not a lot else going on at that first position (basically more trees and zebra crossings.) From the first picture we've turned left and are looking at the next intersection. Apologies that this place looks like a complete ghost town, I swear it's not on purpose

Comment

We've seen white painted trees before!

Now, if only I could remember where (I am not reading all 184 pages of this thread to find out)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X