"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Where am I?" Game

There is a game on a, well, another message board I might read that looks like everyone here would really enjoy. Basically, the winner takes over each time, and you have to share pictures of a location until someone accurately guesses the answer. It is typically google streetview, but it gets moved around a bit for decent troublesome pictures.

For a very quick example - the last completed round was on this:

Guess22.jpg

So it can be quite a nightmare. But loads of you like looking at maps and stupid time consuming games to do while on Zoom / Teams. This was the second photo as jack was happening after pic 1 beyond some continental profiling.

Are we game? Because I have a little work done towards a location...

Before someone wants to question what is "accurately guess", current performance it to provide something like:

https://www.google.com/maps/@0.21039...!7i5760!8i2880

Comment

Now I’m confused. The link begins with the photo in your OP, but if I click on it I’m somewhere else entirely. Is this the game Various Artist shared a week or two back?

Comment

I'm probably in, but I don't really understand it yet

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          Now I’m confused. The link begins with the photo in your OP, but if I click on it I’m somewhere else entirely. Is this the game Various Artist shared a week or two back?
          It sounds like it works the same sort of way as that 'other' Worldle, but I don't know how sophisticated this game is. Do we just get shown a still photo of, say, a road junction from StreetView and have to divine from that alone where in the world it may be, or do we get some sort of 20 questions?

Comment

The game is such that if people aren't making progress another view is provided from the same location - typically the same sort of general area but with maybe a clue or two more in there. There are normally one or two considered hints in the pictures (rather than giving something as awful as possible)

Comment

OK. So you can basically chat and try and work out what City this is, or agree to ask for another reasonably local pic from giving more info.

ibb.co/fpdXCS9

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

So, to looks both foggy and sunny, on a hillside. Which suggests it could be somewhere near here in Northern California. The house style with the siding suggests it’s not in Europe but perhaps that’s not right.

But the cars look pretty old so perhaps not in expensive NorCal. They definitely drive on the right. The stop sign at the far right looks American to me. The truck seems to have a donut on the rear left which suggests people being cheap, and would imply somewhere less “first world” Actually, looking at the blurred out license plate on the truck it could be Pennsylvania?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    So, to looks both foggy and sunny, on a hillside. Which suggests it could be somewhere near here in Northern California. The house style with the siding suggests it’s not in Europe but perhaps that’s not right.

But the cars look pretty old so perhaps not in expensive NorCal. They definitely drive on the right. The stop sign at the far right looks American to me. The truck seems to have a donut on the rear left which suggests people being cheap, and would imply somewhere less “first world” Actually, looking at the blurred out license plate on the truck it could be Pennsylvania?
                    I wondered about Alaska

Comment

I think further north in Cascadia, though Fort Bragg and further north in California could work.

Very much not Chicagoland.

Comment

Having just spent a week staying overnight in 5 different places in 6 days, I woke up from a nap just now and thought "where am i?!" before remembering I was at home...

Comment

That still happens to me even though I am no.longer traveling anywhere near as much as I used to (as well as getting up during the night more often).

Comment

Are we waiting on Caja to give us assistance? Or are we just meant to somehow magically resolve it on our own?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Having just spent a week staying overnight in 5 different places in 6 days, I woke up from a nap just now and thought "where am i?!" before remembering I was at home...
                              Is there anything worse than waking up in a darkened strange room, not knowing where the light switches are nor where the door is, while your need for a slash is overwhelming?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                Are we waiting on Caja to give us assistance? Or are we just meant to somehow magically resolve it on our own?
                                I can throw another picture up if you like? It is rather a fun part of google maps where you turn a corner and suddenly the car was there on a less foggy day.

Comment

But you don’t supply any additional direct info like: are we even vaguely guessing the right part of the world? I’m not sure I really understand the game. There don’t seem to be a ton of obvious clues and I can’t check every single street on earth in Google’s streetview

Comment

You are wrong - you kind of can. Alright - there is evidence of being on the right track. Some more than others.

Comment

Trying to follow up from SB's useful thoughts, the vehicles do look old - especially the delivery van and that one two cars in front of it. The stop sign is too blurry to see if it is USA ish - could it be Canada? Some small town in the middle of Saskatchewan or somewhere? I don't understand the comment about a "donut".

But beyond that I have no idea, and probably until we've done a couple of these I won't really understand how we're supposed to get closer than we currently have. I feel like a child being introduced to a new card game who feels like they don't really understand the rules or how to play or what techniques they need to use to play, and as a result they're on the verge of throwing the cards down on the table and walking out

This
                                      ​​​​​
                                      Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                      You are wrong - you kind of can.
                                      for example, seems totally designed to piss the game learners off.

Comment

Where's this stop sign? I can't see one at all.

Comment

Screenshot_20220728-130231.png

Comment

Thanks Sheep. Good eyes. II think San Bernadinhault mentioned the far right so I was looking in the wrong place entirely.

Comment

I echo ad hoc's comments on the "rules".

I believe that the donut reference is to the lack of a hubcap and jury rigged approach to a wheel, but the term is not in my lexicon.

I'm now leaning more to British Columbia after noting again how the houses have all or virtually all of their windows on the side with the view of the valley/water. That is almost always the result of zoning/building regulations that limit the percentage of frontage taken by windows and such rules are generally more robust north of the border.

Both the Pennsylvania and BC licence plates are primarily white (as is Nova Scotia's for that matter).
                                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 28-07-2022, 12:16.

Comment

Donut is the term I’ve learned for a spare wheel that’s carried in a vehicle and isn’t meant for more than driving to the tyre shop at 40mph, yet people drive a long way on them thinking they’re actually spare wheels rather than emergency wheels. Generally, it means people can’t afford to pay for the replacement, which is why I assume it’s not a wealthy locale.

I also echo ursus and ad hoc on the rules.

And I apologise to Jon for my getting left and right confused.

Comment

Ok- can’t tag on my phone but adhoc and ursus’ points are taken on board. From my view - and obviously this is just one perspective - I don’t want to add another picture when people are still sleuthing (which is hard to measure). As you can see here there is a bit of collaboration and sharing of what has been uncovered. I would note that this is turning out to be quite a challenging image that I am using in the other game and it might have been better to start with a much easier one (e.g. Warrington went in a few hours due to the power station).

the next pic will help solidify things and get you exploring a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X