"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    Still getting over discovering that Hoek van Holland is known as Hook of Holland in English, what a great nonsensical 'translation'. The thing is that Holland sort of does have a hook but it's right at the other end
    Wait till you hear about Vlissingen

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      If it's Chile it's likely to be in the north, I'd think. I'd have thought there'd be more green in the south, and that the sun wouldn't be as high in the sky. I'm also wondering whether it's near the coast, given the way the horizon just seems to disappear into haze in that first photo (which, if it's looking towards the sea, would be looking west).
      This is mostly correct, though worth noting that whilst Chile has a long expanse of the western coast of South America, not all of that coastline faces West.

Comment

I wasn't actively trying to avoid pictures of dogs, by the way, just buses, which seem to be the biggest giveaway.

Comment

It does in the north. Are you suggesting I'm very, very wrong about the latitude, or showing us a red herring?

Comment

And so far you have had three 90° angles, the fourth would reveal a significant landmark.

Comment

It does in the north. Are you suggesting I'm very, very wrong about the latitude, or showing us a red herring?
              Bearing in mind the shape of Chile, I would say 50% of it could be classed as north. We are certainly north of Santiago.

Comment

I was thinking more the bit people actually refer to as Northern Chile (i.e. the top c. third of it), but that works.

I am of course obliged by the terms of my resident's card to deny the existence of anything 'significant' in Chile.

Comment

It's not a 'world famous' significant, but certainly a landmark that could be a big clue to posters.

Comment

I must repair to bed now, but as an aside to the discussion about where the north of Chile starts, please enjoy this Streetview of the monument that stands, according to the Chilean government, at the country's geographical centre. No doubt some of you on here will be aware of this already, but if you're not, click the link then back out of Streetview to the map and zoom out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-53.598...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                      It's not a 'world famous' significant, but certainly a landmark that could be a big clue to posters.
                      Have you been following this thread?! This could mean anything from a football stadium with name prominently visible to a STOP sign in a very particular shade of crimson.

Comment

Is it a monument to those miners who were trapped underground for weeks a few years ago?

Comment

Comment

Just looked that up and not sure the surroundings match. Guanajuato looks like quite a place, though.

And on that note, g'night all.

Comment

Just looked that up and not sure the surroundings match. Guanajuato looks like quite a place, though.

And on that note, g'night all.
                              Guanajuato is in Mexico. The mine where the miners were trapped was in Copiapó.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Is it a monument to those miners who were trapped underground for weeks a few years ago?
                                I’m disappointed in you ad hoc, you should know better than to give Sean an excuse for posting THAT…

Comment

Coquimbo in “northern” Chile has both an east facing shore, and an English Quarter. For example:

Comment

But perhaps a lot of Chile looks like that.

Comment

That monument in Punta Arenas is a trip

Comment

I must repair to bed now, but as an aside to the discussion about where the north of Chile starts, please enjoy this Streetview of the monument that stands, according to the Chilean government, at the country's geographical centre. No doubt some of you on here will be aware of this already, but if you're not, click the link then back out of Streetview to the map and zoom out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-53.598...7i13312!8i6656
                                        Haha, that's brilliant Sam. Presumably they're measuring from the far edge of Chile's claimed Antarctic territories?

Edit: Heh, just clicked on the name on the map and seen a photo of the sign there – so yes, it's equidistant between the Peruvian border and the South Pole!

By the same token, where's the geographic 'centre of Britain' I wonder? I'm thinking somewhere around roughly Dar es Salaam.
                                        Last edited by Various Artist; 28-08-2022, 12:37.

Comment

They are evidently measuring from the South Pole itself, which they apparently claim

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                            Edit: Heh, just clicked on the name on the map and seen a photo of the sign there – so yes, it's equidistant between the Peruvian border and the South Pole!

By the same token, where's the geographic 'centre of Britain' I wonder? I'm thinking somewhere around roughly Dar es Salaam.
                                            The geographical centre of France (not claiming the South Pole obviously) is somewhere in the middle of Galicia apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              But perhaps a lot of Chile looks like that.
                                              From my meanderings last night around various places up and down the coast (and, as noted, as far afield as Lima), I can say that yes, yes it really does.

Comment

The geographical centre of France (not claiming the South Pole obviously) is somewhere in the middle of Galicia apparently
                                                Oh that's a cool factoid. France has a better claim to this sort of largely spurious measurement than most, to be fair, in that it has overseas territories that are technically part of France, in the way that the British Antarctic Territories, Pitcairn Island, Diego Garcia etc. aren't part of Britain.

(Nor for that matter, of course, is the Isle of Man, which ironically actually is geographically somewhere around the centre of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.)

Comment

Probably even harder to guage when you include territories in the South Pacific, the North Atlantic and the Caribbean.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                    Oh that's a cool factoid. France has a better claim to this sort of largely spurious measurement than most, to be fair, in that it has overseas territories that are technically part of France, in the way that the British Antarctic Territories, Pitcairn Island, Diego Garcia etc. aren't part of Britain.

(Nor for that matter, of course, is the Isle of Man, which ironically actually is geographically somewhere around the centre of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.)
                                                    I remember a Johnny Ball show where using a plumb-line and hanging a map of Great Britain from different points along the coast he worked out that its centre was somewhere near Blackburn.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X