• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Oh that second picture reminds me of Kobanya Kispest Station in Budapest
    But the lines there run roughly east west

Comment

Is it a ferry port? Seems like there might be a ship to the left in picture 2

Comment

The signals could be Hungarian

The elevated passage indicates some kind of interchange among methods of transport.

Railway lines are shown in grey on standard Google Maps.

Comment

A ferry port would be a very good fit for the elevated walkway, as ferries generally board from a considerable height above the level of adjoining railway tracks.

Perhaps the Black Sea? Doesn't look to be Varna or Sochi, but there are lots of other options.

Does Balaton have large ferries?

Comment

No, I'm 95% sure it's not Hungary (because I'm increasingly convinced it's a ferry port and there is no need for freight/passenger ferries across Balaton)

Comment

The weird dome-y thing on the passenger walkway makes me wonder if it's on the Caspian Sea

Comment

Constanta looks to have the proper vibe

The Baltic ports have all been modernised

Comment

It's the north south angle of the railway and the lack of much urban development in view (aside from the big block on the first picture) that are confusing me

Comment

The railway along the Black Sea in Constanta runs north-south

For the Caspian, Baku has been redeveloped

Comment

Are the funnel colors on the alleged ferry helpful here?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                        Are the funnel colors on the alleged ferry helpful here?
                        It looks quite like Stena

Comment

Stena now have red funnels

It looks more to me like Brittany, though there are lots of white funnels

Comment

The funnel I'm looking at is red with a blue top

Comment

To me it looks white with a red/orange crest and dark top.

Any thoughts on the wheel?

Constanta has a ferris wheel, but it isn't near the port.

Comment

It's not Eastern Europe, it's Hook of Holland.

Screenshot_20220827-153441_Maps.jpg

Comment

And it is a Stena ship.

Screenshot_20220827-153825_Maps.jpg

Comment

Dammit, I had a quick look at Hook of Holland, didn't immediately see anything similar and moved on.

edit: based on it being a Stena port
                                    Last edited by S. aureus; 27-08-2022, 15:13.

Comment

Yeah, I looked at Stena ports in Eastern Europe first and found nothing, so then went further west. I was sure we were looking at a photosphere as it wasn't on a road.

Comment

Ahh, tuned in just too late this afternoon to have a go at this one. Good work Sean. After learning that it was a north-south line at a potential EU/non-EU border with ferry crossings, somewhere that looks like a bit of an undeveloped country, I was all ready to suggest Dover...

Comment

Here's a new one.

Screenshot_20220827-161704_Maps.jpg

Comment

I was just about three 'blocks' or half a kilometre due south of Earthling Wines when I had to give up my search and go out this morning, meanwhile. Was deceived by the foreshortening in Sits' first image and believed we were closer to the hills than we in fact were.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              Oof, one for the telegraph wires enthusiast there, Sean. There's no doubt a dedicated website out there to help with that, mind, in the vein of the petrol maps one and the railway signalling one.

Comment

And soil pH.

Comment

And soil colour. God I love OTFers.

Comment

This one strikes me as very "informal economy"

Single story cinder block structures in bright colours.

"Artisanal" electrical connections.

But developed infrastructure and recent cars.

Brazil? Mexico?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X