"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Sits - ask yourself, what Australian wine might be served to a man on a country estate having just arrived by sea plane in North America?"

It should cut it down
    Fair point!
    Last edited by Sits; 27-08-2022, 05:00.

Comment

So I know a lot of hills look alike but the Barossa is not a vast area, have a look at the hills in the background in the link below. So I wanted to investigate the area around Barossa Settlers. It’s a bit tricky as they’ve now been bought up but I think it’s Trial Hill Road near Lyndoch:
      Download this stock image: A tractor between the vines, spraying the crops at the Barossa Settlers winery with a backdrop of rolling hills in the Barossa Valley wine region in S - 2A3G0DY from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors.

Comment

Am I going up a blind alley: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@-...qX2AGzZImJBKpA

Comment

Optimistic of SB to assume that I would have heard of any Australian wine region

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            The area around Tanunda looks promising but I’ve not found it.
            Very good work. Is the town literally meant to sound like an Australian saying Downunder?
            Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 27-08-2022, 10:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              Oh and point of order, I know lots of other wine regions in Oz. As I should.
              I could probably name 4 or 5, but only one of them is on Ursus's map, and I'm pretty sure it's the most famous.

Comment

Anyhooooo. Here's a shot that will let you restart the game before I head out on cycling (it would be really mean to make you wait another 5 or 6 hours, right?): Also, I think you went a bit wild-goose-chasey trying to find a specific famous vineyard. If this is in front of one it's not so famous that I know it. The views in front of the couple of vineyards I know didn't seem to give anything I actually wanted - either too much or too little info.

Comment

There's a Vine Vale Road in Tanunda. It's long though, but presumably it's there somewhere

Comment

Yeah been looking along there....!

Comment

Gah, not quite. Thanks ad hoc….
                      Last edited by Sits; 27-08-2022, 10:45.

Comment

Comment

Heh I was one crossroads out! Well done Sits

Comment

I’m struggling to get the first photo though…

Comment

Comment

And this is who the vines belong to: https://greataustralianwinecompany.c...rthling-wines/

Comment

OK try this:

Comment

Looks like out of town railstop, Eastern European vibe. Maybe even a freight stop.
                                    Is this a photosphere from the platform?

Comment

The number of trucks parked on the road next to it, suggests a border to me

Comment

That's a good call. Possibly non EU into EU.

Comment

Or non Schengen into Schengen (though I don't recognise it as Romania Hungary which is the obvious choice there)

Comment

It's facing South.

Comment

The photo looks to be taken from a platform that is primarily used for freight. The central raised platform wiould be more convenient for passengers. that particular pattern is common in Italy (even in main stations like Milano Centrale), but I don't think we are in a Italy.

Electric railways are somewhat less common in Eastern Europe than the a west, but they certainly exist.

I doubt it is a border. Railway border crossings generally have more infrastructure to deal with crew and equipment changes, as well as possible voltage changes on electrified lines. I would also expect more trucks at a border.

If the 8 is a speed indicator (as it would be in most European countries), it is rather high (80 mph) for a station, indicating a less busy and complex one.

The style of signal is on the simple side, which also says Easten Europe, though I haven't identified the country. It is not Poland. it could be Slovak.

There are a number of intensely detailed sites on railway signaling on the internet., including this one

https://thesignalpage.nl/en/data.php
                                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-08-2022, 11:55.

Comment

As with my Tasmanian one I am now going to bed so will put up another one, roughly 180 from the first. I’ll admit it’s heavily cropped as it contained many clues. It may well still.

Comment

I'd say it was just past the border. The trucks are parked up facing north whereas we are looking south down the tracks.

Unfortunately I don't know how to make Google maps show me railway lines

Comment

Oh that second picture reminds me of Kobanya Kispest Station in Budapest

Comment

Working...
                                                    X