X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zurich?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
      Oh sorry for being so cryptic, it was the yellow plates which only one German-speaking country has
      No don't worry, I was still in the grips of a fearsome adrenaline high when I first read it and thus incapable of basic reading comprehension at that moment.

Comment

I would guess Eastern Europe. I would say possibly previously within the Soviet Union but I'm not sure about that

Comment

I'm pretty sure we're in Odesa

Comment

Here:
            https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.48...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

About to go out for a while so if anyone else fancies a go, please do. And I'll maybe tell you how I got to Odesa....

Comment

Ahh, too easy for you jdsx! Very well done. Perhaps I should have held the second picture back for a bit?

This would have been a third:

Which is the entrance to a funicular railway, suggesting we're adjacent to quite a long and steep climb...

Comment

...like this one:

– the base (just visible in my first picture) of the famous 'Odessa Steps', formerly known as the Richelieu Steps but nowadays officially known in Odesa as the Potemkin Stairs in honour of their greatest hour.

Here they are in Sergei Eisenstein's early cinematic masterpiece Battleship Potemkin, an unforgettable scene of terrified civilians being gunned down by soldiers – later inspiring many homages including an almost shot-for-shot remake as the climax of The Untouchables:

I stumbled across this spot while looking for trolleybuses matching one in an earlier challenge on this thread, and added it to my shortlist because I at least was taken aback to find how unprepossessing the base of the staircase actually is in real life, or at any rate was in 2015 when the StreetView was shot.

Comment

This has ... taken a turn, from Dollyworld and UNESCO world heritage sites. Can the next few not be of sites of massive atrocities in case we all get picked up by some FBI algorithm that flags us as a terrorist cult?

Comment

A good point and my apologies – I was previously unaware of the terrible 19th-century atrocities of the Gunfight at the Luxembourg Shell Garage, I'd have chosen somewhere quieter to follow up with had I known.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        ...like this one:

– the base (just visible in my first picture) of the famous 'Odessa Steps', formerly known as the Richelieu Steps but nowadays officially known in Odesa as the Potemkin Stairs in honour of their greatest hour.

Here they are in Sergei Eisenstein's early cinematic masterpiece Battleship Potemkin, an unforgettable scene of terrified civilians being gunned down by soldiers – later inspiring many homages including an almost shot-for-shot remake as the climax of The Untouchables:

I stumbled across this spot while looking for trolleybuses matching one in an earlier challenge on this thread, and added it to my shortlist because I at least was taken aback to find how unprepossessing the base of the staircase actually is in real life, or at any rate was in 2015 when the StreetView was shot.
                        Ooh that's a fabulous reference, VA. Wow - yes I've even played the music to the whole silent film in concert (the composer was pretty good, really!). It's pretty overwhelming when heard like that.

Funnily enough I was looking in that area recently... in line with my great British military disasters theme I was trying to find coverage of the Charge of the Light Brigade which was not all that far away. Needless to say streetview coverage isn't that extensive in the hills around Balaclava...

Comment

If nobody else will, let's try this.

Comment

Ooh, bollards!

Comment

Driving on the left with vines.... South Africa or Australia?

Comment

Or New Zealand. Those power lines look distinctive but I can't find good images of anything but pylons

Comment

Those bollards are in agreement with Australia, not with New Zealand, but I'm not immediately finding info on SA.
                                  The resolution isn't good enough for me to see the speed limit sign clearly, but it doesn't look incompatible with either.

Comment

Further info on the bollards - it appears that New South Wales uses a different bollard.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                      Ooh that's a fabulous reference, VA. Wow - yes I've even played the music to the whole silent film in concert (the composer was pretty good, really!). It's pretty overwhelming when heard like that.
                                      Oh wow, that's a great connection! Which music, though? I know several different scores have been composed, up to and including the Pet Shop Boys and Michael Nyman's versions in recent years – apparently in line with Eisenstein's own wishes, that the score would be rewritten every 20 years to "retain its relevance as a propaganda film for each new generation".

Comment

New one's intriguing. I've seen a lot of New Zealand and it isn't saying NZ to me. I'd err towards Australia, but then again there's an awful lot of South Africa I haven't seen.

Comment

South Australia is the most wine based of Australian states, but everything looks too flat to me

Comment

The single solid white line in the middle of the road is maybe a clue - mostly I see double lines.
                                            Though not always - here in South Australia, for example (and note the bollard on the left, which seems to me to have a longer red reflective part than SB's), though back up a few clicks on the same road and it moves to the double white line.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              Oh wow, that's a great connection! Which music, though? I know several different scores have been composed, up to and including the Pet Shop Boys and Michael Nyman's versions in recent years – apparently in line with Eisenstein's own wishes, that the score would be rewritten every 20 years to "retain its relevance as a propaganda film for each new generation".
                                              Heh, now I was convinced the music we played was by Shostakovich ( as in your clip), but on checking, it appears we played the original music by Meisel....! https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...otemkin-review

Comment

Yeah I'm veering towards Oz/NZ - they seem to be keener on diamond shaped signs (as on the right hand/oncoming sign)

Comment

You're all doing very well.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X