No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, SotS. A clearer view of sakurajima would have been next.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      I would try Penang
      Based on the DSOP, or is there something else you see?

Comment

Primarily the DSOP, but it also doesn't look as built up as KL

Though I have never been to Malaysia, which makes things much more challenging

Comment

Yes I'm discovering the architecture of Malaysia and it's full of contrasts to say the least.

A quick root around Penang and Kuala Lumpur suggests the traffic lights and road markings look more like the latter, as does the style of the red slate-roofed buildings on the left but they don't seem tall enough for KL. Both are vast though and I've only poked around so far.

Do we think the building at the corner is a hotel? I can't quite make out any characters

Comment

I thought a hospital, but have not had any luck

It seems more institutional than a hotel

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Primarily the DSOP, but it also doesn't look as built up as KL
              Hmm, our good friends DSOP don't deliver as far as KL so that indeed seems to rule it out

Comment

All good sleuth work so far. Here's another view from the same point.

Screenshot_20220801-101113_Maps.jpg

Comment

Those are some very distinctive street lights. And indeed I have spotted them in Georgetown, Penang.
                  Last edited by caja-dglh; 01-08-2022, 15:11.

Comment

They appear to be pretty common throughout the island, at least. Is that water on the left of view 2?

Comment

Found it!

Comment

Well, I'm sure that I've found it but I'm not getting exactly the same views.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                          Well, I'm sure that I've found it but I'm not getting exactly the same views.
                          I think as long as you get the right road that would suffice.

Comment

OK, a little moving about and I've found the same ones.

Comment

Comment

The taller building in the distance in the first view is a school.

Comment

That's the place. My third picture would have been looking over the straight with the bridge in the distance had it been needed.
                                  Anyone who plays Xpert Eleven would know why I chose it.

Comment

Someone else want a go?

Comment

I'd love to, but am just about to go on holiday (like in about 75 minutes). I hope the game is still running when i get back as i am enjoying it.

Comment

Nice one Staph!

I can have a go at the next one if I manage to get rid of the street names that show up in Google Street View

Comment

Ok, a crude photoshopping has taken care of that. Genuinely no idea how easy or hard this one will be, you well-travelled lot might get it in 10 minutes for all I know:

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            Nice one Staph!

I can have a go at the next one if I manage to get rid of the street names that show up in Google Street View
                                            Typically tilting a little higher gets rid of them. I have typically used the snipping tool on windows, which will then allow you to blur anything that you are less keen on being there (say if you have the streetview map in the bottom left).

I am glad this is all getting into a bit of a rhythm and folk are having some fun.

Comment

The signage is European

30 years ago, I would have been more sure of France, but JC Decaux has become ubiquitous.

I should really look at these on a real monitor. A phone just doesn't cut it given my eyesight

Comment

The head of the arrow on the sign looks rather small to me, which suggests not France, based on wikipedia having it with larger sides.

Comment

That's correct. I would advise caution where the Wikipedia page for road signs is concerned though as it's a tiny bit misleading in this case (not intentionally so!)

Needless to say, you're on the right continent

Comment

The bikes look entirely functional, and it looks like normal people riding them on a safe, large, segregated bike-pedestrian route. Which implies more northern Europe to me. But - and willing to be corrected - I feel like I remember in the Netherlands that all the bike routes/lanes etc, are properly marked with road-like markings. The trees also look more northernish. And the width and build of everything looks more western than eastern. If France is excluded that would leave us in N Germany, Belgium, Denmark perhaps? It looks kind of Danish to my eyes, particularly considering how flat it is, but that's not evidence based.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X