X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB may be closer.

I was unaware these things existed

Comment

It could be Croatia. The style of the houses reminded me of Bulgaria, or somewhere Balkan. But the water in the background - looks like a bay to me - rules out Bulgaria.

Comment

I think it's Greece. The bird-shaped chimney cowls seem fairly common there and the houses look spot on. Achaia looking North has the right geography and very similar pylon/lamp post arrangements (not sure if I mean pylon. Electric pole or whatever)
        Last edited by Fussbudget; 11-08-2022, 22:15.

Comment

I asked our resident Balkan expert (aka my wife, who is Bulgarian) and she is certain it's Greece. The blue window on one of the houses is apparently characteristic of Greece.

Comment

I was going to mention that.

Fussbudget's observations are also typically astute.

Though even if we accept all that (and that we aren't in Patras) it is going to be an absolute bear to find without more clues.

Comment

Sorry I seem to have problems attaching photos again.... bear with me

Comment

Comment

So we've followed the road down to the sea/bay/coast. Still looking in the same direction.
                  The first picture was very close to a reasonably well-known landmark/tourist attraction which would probably give it away immediately....
                  Will post again in the morning if no-one's guessed it

Comment

Eucalyptus was introduced in Greece by the botanist and scholar Theodore Orphanides 1862

Comment

UA's narrowed down the timeframe of the picture.

Comment

Possibly a bay or looking across at an island (from an island?) with some sort of conurbation on the South-West shore.

Comment

The second picture does suggest more a bay than two separate islands/land masses facing each other. Though Greece isn't short of bays either

Edit: crossposting with Staph rather than a reply to his observations
                          Last edited by Fussbudget; 11-08-2022, 23:19.

Comment

The hill on the right looks pretty big. Again, not in short supply in Greece.

Comment

I have had an awfully busy day and come back to see this being everything I dreamed of. A fair bunch of very enthusiastic players hauling in other OTF auxiliaries when they feel. This is OTF’s game now - you own the rules (as if you ever did not).

Comment

Comment

I knew this would be pretty difficult, but you Sherlock Holmes-types managed to get my other one pretty quickly.
                                  We are now in a drone roughly above the first picture - actually I think that first one was taken from where the white car is here (centre, bottom) - looking towards the water, obvs.
                                  The second picture was taken from where that road meets the water (roughly central in this one).
                                  We are, indeed, on a Greek island!

Comment

Street View is very hit and miss on the Greek Islands. When you eventually find a potential site you zoom in to find that it isn't covered there.

Comment

Is that a cemetery in the bottom of the drone shot?

Comment

Looks like it to me as well.

I've started searching google maps for "cemetery + (Greek island)". So far I've ruled out Corfu and Kefalonia. Only about another 10,000 to go.

Comment

I've been looking long and hard at Lesbos (no, stop it) but to no avail.

Comment

The red tiled roofs are a limiting factor. Lots of places on google maps seem to have just white flat roofs.

Comment

Ah; ok, it is rather harder than I thought, then ;-)

I thought I'd given a helpful clue by saying that the first picture is very close to a tourist attraction. You can filter for those in google maps, so I would be looking for a tourist attraction reasonably close to a NE coastline which has a stretch of sea to another piece of land further to the NE.
                                              Then, in the drone picture, to the right you can see somewhere with a harbour in the 'bay', so that lies on a north coast.
                                              If no-one gets it I'll post a picture from that place (it's a small-ish town) and you'll have it in no time ;-)

Comment

I was looking at "tourist attractions" along the northeastern coast of Achaea and found most of them to be viewpoints.

Comment

I can say that we are on an island, and the other piece of land you can see (on the top left) is another (different) island.

Comment

Found it!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X