Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sits
    replied
    I’m amazed FB got it. Well I’m not I suppose.

I was wondering about the place in Russia that had the huge meteorite strike(?) about a century ago.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    It looks like a graveyard of some description, with particularly shaped markers that are often dressed in cloth. Somewhere cold and flat. All not very helpful, and probably incorrect

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Thank you, very creepy. I've found it although my view is on a different date and bizarrely the sign has changed colour:

I won't say where it is in case someone else wants to have a go at finding it

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Amazing. If I saw that photo out,of context it could ne anywhere. For example, the Mooney Mooney rail bridge, about an hour north of Sydney on the Hawkesbury River:

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    In addition to the highway bridge visible on the top right, the Spuyten Duyvill is spanned by a railroad bridge that swings open to allow ship to pass (in this case a Circle Line sightseeing boat)

Anyone traveling between Penn Station (not Grand Central) and the Hudson Valley will pass over the bridge (and by our building)

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Nice one you two. I never knew the whole SD Creek / Harlem Creek thing until reading the thread so thought it would be good to find a really un-Manhattan-looking place while still being in Manhattan.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    The Spuyten Duyvil Creek

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    StreetView is actually rather limited in the area in question

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I think I can guess roughly where it is, but I haven't made the time to search street view

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I think this is too close to home for me to participate

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Need more?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    And from the waterside position, pivoting about 90 degrees clockwise:

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Another view from the same spot as the first two, looking towards the third:

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    No, but the water is the significant element.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    I am pretty sure it isn’t the Panama Canal. But that is actually a different thread.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    And here’s a slightly wider version of the third photo, without the signs blacked out:

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    OK here’s a hefty clue: the thread referenced is An interesting thing I didn’t know until today.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Definitely North American and almost certainly the US.

The baseball backstop in the first photo is a tell, as is the architecture of the apartment building in the second.

The style of wall in the third photo was popularised by the Depression-era Works Progress Administration, but also used by others. It is unlikely to have been built after the 1960s, though.

Leave a comment:

• jdsx
    replied
    Sorry, Sits, been a bit busy.

First pic looks like a city park. Probably northern hemisphere. Left hand drive so we're driving on the right. (Car on the left looks small for US?)
    Second pic makes it look like we're English speaking
    Third pic definitely not UK. Looks to me North American (US?) but presumably not too far south.
    Not much help there sorry

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    S. aureus thanks for the bump. I’ll give it a short while in case it was missed.

All I will say is that at the time I put it up it was pertinent to a discussion happening on OTF. The third photo especially.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    Another hint, maybe?
    (or a bump in case anyone else hasn't seen it and can figure it)

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    And down the hill to the other end of the park (opposite direction to the second photo above):

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Strictly against the rules to follow my own challenge but I think it’s safe to say there’s no great rush. It’s very possible this will take mere seconds for some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X