"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wondered about the Acropolis.

Edit: but there’s a lot of 20th century concrete here.

Comment

If it helps, I can reveal that none of you have got close to the location

Comment

Christ the Redeemer

Here's the last one:
        https://goo.gl/maps/kLRtNARmspQREBSEA

Comment

This is what the brown sign in the last one actually looks like if you get closer:

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
            This is what the brown sign in the last one actually looks like if you get closer:

Yes, I was trying to work out how I could start humming in the background of the thread to give a clue

Comment

Oh well done. The magic of street view distortion is that I was seeing that sign as an address plaque (number 62?) and the no parking sign as a crossed-out pound sign (that one was really confusing, what could such a sign mean??)

Comment

Some humming would no doubt be helpful with this one, too.

Comment

Looking the other way:

Comment

OK, so I presume the US, and at a trailhead of some description. The Rally TShirts suggest the site of a famous rally, though rallying does not seem to be as big a thing over there as it is on this side of the Atlantic. I did discover that there was an Oregon Trail Rally at some point and as we discussed the game(?) of that name the other day I did wonder, but I'm drawing a blank on that. (I don't know if that had a musical accompaniment hence the hummable comment. )

Comment

Very strong Sturgis vibes

Comment

Half a mile or so down the road from view 2 we do find a couple of motorcycles. I'm not really sure what they're so interested in and if I showed what they could have been looking at in the other direction everyone would instantly know where we are.

Comment

We've moved another couple of miles along to the end of that same road.

Comment

OK, to try and move this along, here are some clues.

First clue: UA's right with the Sturgis vibes, though we're not in Sturgis.

Second clue: I suppose that I might be over-estimating how widely known this place is, but I'm not sure that there are a great deal of highly recognizable places in this neck of the woods.

Third clue, kind of: It's a famous movie location.

Fourth clue: It was the first example of something.

Comment

Very strong Mount Rushmore vibes

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Very strong Mount Rushmore vibes
                                  i looked around rushmore a few days ago, it wasn't right.

Comment

sometimes it helps to scroll down. Huh, you had is stumped.

Comment

Ah, i was too caught up with the Dakotas and had determined it wasn't the Corn Palace or the Peace Garden

I'm not sure that may natives would consider Devil's Tower to have a Sturgis vibe, though they are only 80 miles apart

Comment

It was also famous enough to be on a stamp in 1956, when that was much more of a distinction than it is now

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Ah, i was too caught up with the Dakotas and had determined it wasn't the Corn Palace or the Peace Garden

I'm not sure that may natives would consider Devil's Tower to have a Sturgis vibe, though they are only 80 miles apart
                                          The motorcyclists apparently have a Ride to Devil's Tower on the Wednesday.
                                          https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvis...rgis-rally.htm

Comment

Strong work Staph. I was floundering.

Comment

What the hell is that? Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                What the hell is that? Never heard of it.
                                                I take it you've never see Close Encounters of the Third Kind, then?

Comment

Oh. Yeah, I saw it once. Can't say it stuck in the memory.

Comment

Having said that, I'm glad ursus's first thought was Mount Rushmore, because when I saw S. aureus's comment about all of us getting it right away if he'd given us a picture looking the other way, that was my assumption as well (but like dglh, I had a look around and it obviously wasn't).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X