No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a very nice little town with a wonderful weir when you get to the water. I was about to write more on bank signage meaning it definitely wasn't the US but determined it was better to actually find the place rather than spout very boring specific details of useless.

Comment

One of you ought to recognize this.

Comment

After cheating you out of the hint of the vespa guy for a while last time, here is the 180. Ok, maybe I moved *slightly*

Comment

Not only do I not recognise it, I'm not even sure what type of building I'm looking at. A row of cottages with a tower? Some overly earnest stately home? The gates to a castle?

If the flag in the second picture is a county flag it could be Flintshire but that's a big if

Comment

I'd say it's a gatehouse to some (presumably massive) stately home

Comment

Or a very pretentious golf club

Comment

It is fair to say that there is a fair bit of land and more stuff behind there, but it won't let me go there. As such, we are a bit down the road as all there was were cars really. I get that you would like some cars as that might help, so here:

Comment

Classic 60s US suburban multifamily housing, at least in part intended for service providers to the manse.

It looks too big for my neck of the woods, so I am thinking somewhere a bit further west along the lines of Shaker Heights or Grosse Pointe.

Comment

Ooh these look like British terraced housing transported to suburban America, I didn't realise youse had that type of housing stock anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      Classic 60s US suburban multifamily housing, at least in part intended for service providers to the manse.

It looks too big for my neck of the woods, so I am thinking somewhere a bit further west along the lines of Shaker Heights or Grosse Pointe.
                      Grosse Pointe, indeed. Edsel and Eleanor Ford house.

https://goo.gl/maps/nRQSv7b1Eyk8tgS26

Comment

Remarkable work by Ursus. I was surprised he didn't recognize the Ford house (itself an incongruous piece of US architecture) and then completely nailed the 1960s looks-like-the-UK terraced housing.

Comment

You want next, ursus arctos?

Comment

No thanks

Comment

OK, how about this then.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                Remarkable work by Ursus. I was surprised he didn't recognize the Ford house (itself an incongruous piece of US architecture) and then completely nailed the 1960s looks-like-the-UK terraced housing.
                                Having more than 100 university classmates from that kind of community provided me with a certain quantum of inside information

Comment

The new looks very UK to me

Comment

Definitely the UK and it feels quite northern English to me. It could be the approach to pretty much any farm shop or minor tourist spot in North Yorkshire

Comment

Not North Yorkshire, but there is a farm shop and a minor tourist spot nearby.

Comment

Moving directly across the roundabout visible in view 2 we get here:

...and keeping on brings us here:

(we're not looking back at the original location for obvious reasons).

Comment

Here's the back of the farm shop:

Comment

Oh Jesus. When you put the first picture up I thought it looked like it could be within 20 miles of here and it is, just not in the direction I expected

It's Herrington Country Park with what I always think of as "the Bryan Ferry monument" behind us (I read a Roxy Music book ages ago which for some reason spent the first few pages going on and on about the monument like it was a big influence on his songwriting or something.) Incredible what a bit of sunshine can do for the place

Comment

...and here's our starting point with a bit more Penshaw Monument action

Tell you what, I never noticed it doesn't actually have a roof. What a silly building
                                              Last edited by Fussbudget; 27-01-2023, 22:25.

Comment

Herod Builders would have given me a fighting chance.

Comment

Onto our next exciting destination:

Comment

And here's the little street to the right:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X