X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Albania?

Montenegro?

Turkish Cyprus?

The number plate looks like it might be yellow, which would be unusual for a European country on the Mediterranean.

Comment

Not in the right area so far. A little further down the road closer to that blue house:

Comment

Intriguing

The pickup is from this Scottish engineering company, butt it really doesn't look like Scotland

https://www.global.weir/

Comment

I thought I was onto a winner when I found the logo on that truck which is from Weir Group. Unfortunately they seem to be located approximately everywhere across the globe: https://www.global.weir/locations/

Comment

That stop sign is used in loads of places but not everywhere.

"India, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Indonesia, The Philippines, Pakistan, The European Economic Area, Fiji, Singapore, and the United States use the standard version of the sign."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign

Comment

Christ, I didn't even check that company, I assumed it was going to be some tiny local contractor without a website. Well, we're definitely in one of the countries on that list (lol)

Comment

Here's another view from slightly further into town (it's not very big):

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                  Well, we're definitely in one of the countries on that list (lol)
                  The list on the Weir website I mean. Not the list Balders quoted, or indeed any of the other countries mentioned so far

Comment

I've not been to Scotland often, or recently, so I wouldn't trust my recollection of the place generally. But I'm pretty sure it's not in Scotland.

Comment

My money is Australia, perhaps in a settlement flush with mining cash.

Perhaps Sits will have some useful local knowledge.

Comment

Namibia

Comment

Here's our church:
                          https://goo.gl/maps/HamYF7xh8HXAS2Ay8

(Luderitz)

Comment

This should help narrow it down:

Comment

Ha, no need for that last one! Good work Staph. It is indeed Lüderitz in Bavaria Namibia. That place looks incredibly eerie

Comment

Doesn't look at all familiar but there are some weird and wonderful mining towns out there. I don't think Kalgoorlie is old enough.

Staph is probably right.

Good to see the thread in motion again.

Edit: obsoletified by posts I missed.
                                Last edited by Sits; 27-01-2023, 02:40.

Comment

Very eerie indeed. As does the nearby diamond ghost town, and there was a concentration camp nearby too.

Moving on to somewhere that appears a bit more welcoming.

Comment

A bit more context about Lüderitz/!Nami#nus here, I thought it would make a nice follow-up to caja's incongruous colonial architecture. The street names are in keeping as well, the church is on Kirch St, that old disused railway on Bahnhof St and the street in between is Bismarck St.

Kolmanskop which is mentioned at the end of the article is worth a look as well (ha, Staph got there ahead of me again)

Comment

Let's look the other way, too - from a spot a bit towards the Budget van.

Comment

Meanwhile the new one is... somewhere in America? Those red brick buildings remind me of Hopper paintings so I want to say somewhere roughly in the North East but I suspect it could be almost anywhere in the country. Not New York plates at any rate

Comment

Or indeed another country *rolls eyes*

That last picture was overly helpful but I'll leave a chance for others to make their own way there

Comment

The balconies are not typical for the Northeast

Comment

So, the balconies reminded me of Montréal, but the signage was clearly in the wrong language.

That turns out not to have been completely off base, though I do wonder how we ended up here.

Comment

It is either Canada or the Midwest. BMO doesn't have any branch network really outside of IL, WI, IN. And it doesn't really look like one of those.

The BMO branch is the red circle on the far side of the road, three down from Threadwork, sort of behind the stop sign.
                                                Last edited by caja-dglh; 27-01-2023, 03:00.

Comment

The plates look pretty Ontario / Quebec to me as well.

Comment

Ontario it was

Comment

Working...
                                                    X