No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna need some black coffee and sitting up with this one until I get it, I can tell...

Comment

Ooh, I've just had a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
        Photosphere 2, looking back at photosphere 1:

Yes, got the blighter!

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
          As Rogin appears to be still sulking after ad hoc nicked his spot, I'll put one up that is probably going to go fairly quickly.

On my computer this place has 2 working photospheres (and 2 that don't produce anything). The next nearest ones are hundreds of miles away.

Photosphere 1:

Hmm, I can see three other photospheres but none of them appear to be working on my computer, so I'm stuck with just the one I posted the screengrab from above. I presume your two here are from the one at 'Sister's Hill'?

Was touring the islands of the South Pacific and Atlantic earlier, and having given up on Tristan da Cunha just now I happened to spot as I zoomed out a label saying 'St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha' and that made me go "Hang on a minute..."

Ascension Island:
          https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-7.94...7i11264!8i5632

Comment

Nice one VA.

Comment

Some appropriately pure shores here to search for next:

This is another photosphere I'm afraid. This one is on its own, but there's a cluster nearby and a few more dotted around the surrounding area.

Comment

This is another photosphere
                I never would have guessed....

Comment

Joking aside that must be one of the best looking photospheres on earth.

Comment

This is nearby:

Comment

As is this

Comment

And if we sail out and south into the bay, we eventually come across this island whose name made me smile:

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          Oh, well done!

Christ, imagine living on that empty island in the middle of nowhere with only transient workers and squaddies for company. I was feeling panicky just reading about the place

Also good work from SA sneaking another Christian celebration past us

Comment

Meanwhile I’m drawing a blank with VA’s, lovely as it may be. Tried Pentecost Island, Ontario. Nope.

Comment

VA's feel to me like the pacific northwest - either Washington State, BC or Alaska. Though the range of snow capped peaks would suggest more likely to be BC than the other two
                              Last edited by ad hoc; 03-11-2022, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                Oh, well done!

Christ, imagine living on that empty island in the middle of nowhere with only transient workers and squaddies for company. I was feeling panicky just reading about the place

Also good work from SA sneaking another Christian celebration past us
                                Yes Ascension Island's not much of a place to live, I can't imagine. I'll have to ask my grandad if he remembers anything about it as he's actually been there – though only on a refuelling layover en route to the Falkland Islands in 1991.

Comment

I wasn't expecting this one to still be going, but am producing some more screenshots now for further clues...

Although I shall just mention in the meantime that, for different reasons, the names of both the bay and the island in the last shot would be an ecumenical matter.
                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 03-11-2022, 12:45. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Right, let's make landfall further up the bay to the north of the original 'pure shores' photosphere, and find some actual StreetView:

Comment

This is almost across the street from the above picture:

Comment

And this is from a photosphere further along the shore, to the left of the first of the above pair of views and looking back in its general direction:

Comment

I'm wondering if the glass fronted structure is an aquarium.

Alaska or Washington state, then.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            VA's feel to me like the pacific northwest - either Washington State, BC or Alaska. Though the range of snow capped peaks would suggest more likely to be BC than the other two
                                            Meant to confirm that you're on the right track here, by the way!

Comment

Seward, Alaska on Resurrection Bay, though I don't have time to find the exact shot (it is the Alaska Sea Life Center)

Comment

Hehe, well done Mr Bear, we're in your ursine neck of the woods of course here. I thought the Sea Life Center would be pretty identifiable, though don't know if the mural made it too easy.

Comment

I'm going to take advantage of the standard Ursus excuse me. For a really easy, quick one.

Comment

England, London, Gunnersbury Park area. Trying to spot an obvious seasonal/religious theme now (not Ash Grove as far as I can tell)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X