"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    I made a guess at Haverhill and then just looked at all the churches. While also getting distracted by a shop called Transylvania and another called "Grout of this world" which is one of those places where you suspect the owner thought of the pun first before they decided to open a tile shop
    Yes. Was a little bit obvious for anyone who remembers where I grew up.

Comment

Anne of Cleves' house (it says here). She should have been called Anne of Haverhill
      Yes. She wasn't originally from Haverhill. It was one of various properties given to her in a divorce settlement from Henry VIII. It's the only wooden Tudor house in the town that didn't burn to the ground in a fire in Great fire of Haverhill in the 1660s: https://www.haverhillwhitings.com/overview

Comment

Would have been a much prettier town if it wasn't for that fire.

Comment

This is the view I was deliberately not showing you. I used to walk past it every day on my way home from the bus stop from age 11-19.

Comment

It's now used as a private nursing home, which I think is a bit of a missed opportunity. Doing it up and making it into a museum about Anne of Cleves / a Tudor house for kids to walk around and try on Tudor clothing or whatever could be a great tourist-luring idea for the town.

Comment

I made a guess at Haverhill and then just looked at all the churches. While also getting distracted by a shop called Transylvania and another called "Grout of this world" which is one of those places where you suspect the owner thought of the pun first before they decided to open a tile shop
              Every small British town needs some good puns. I also found "Fish 4 Financial Advice" while roaming around nostalgically. Not sure I'd trust a firm with that name.

Comment

Here's the photosphere pic I mentioned yesterday. From the Michni Fort looking down the road into Afghanistan. Not sure what was happening on the Khyber Pass in February 2018, but that's one hell of a traffic jam in both directions...

Original (ridiculously long!) link here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.10...!7i8704!8i4352

Comment

ad hoc are you going to put up a picture or shall I have another go?

Comment

You can go again. I'm on my phone and I can't usually generate a reasonable quality photo.

Comment

Ok, try this.

Comment

And our friend peering over the edge from another angle.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                          Here's the photosphere pic I mentioned yesterday. From the Michni Fort looking down the road into Afghanistan. Not sure what was happening on the Khyber Pass in February 2018, but that's one hell of a traffic jam in both directions...

Original (ridiculously long!) link here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.10...!7i8704!8i4352
                          That's a great photosphere.

Comment

I don't really have anything intelligent to say about Balders' at this point, except I'm pretty sure we're not in Suffolk anymore. I keep thinking her street-name blockings are women in burqas at first glance.

Comment

Balders' new one looks generally Mediterranean to me, possibly Italian but not Alpine. Not sure what those tall trees are but they suggest somewhere some way south to me, maybe even Montenegro or Greece

The city/villages (?) in that valley look pretty substantial

Comment

Street lighting and utility poles strike me as unusual on this type of mountain road

Comment

Ok, a few more photos then.

If we follow the road in the first picture, we get to this hairpin bend.

Comment

And then if we go down the other side of the hairpin bend we reach this rather fetching peach building.

Comment

If I carry on further past the peach building it will become much more obvious where we are.

Comment

Hmm, unconvinced we're in Europe now. Central or South America maybe

Comment

Two more shots further up the road, both skipping the extremely obvious bit. (Gimme a sec, got to get my photo posting ability back).

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                Hmm, unconvinced we're in Europe now. Central or South America maybe
                                                Yes.

Comment

And here's the back of that bus. I have no idea how good you guys are at identifying number plates used in different countries so I don't know if it'll be a massive help or not.

Comment

Continuing along the road in the same direction, I just found this very snazzily dressed horse.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X