No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, just in case it wasn't clear what state we're in...

Comment

Ah, so we're in California? Are the left-most lanes on the highway multiple occupancy lanes? And what is that price per litre in GBP???

Comment

Yes, in theory the left-most lanes are HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, and in theory you can't cross the lines when they're solid, although adherence to that theory varies wildly across the state.

Price in Litres is $1.78. Which is about GBP 1.61 right now.

Comment

Well I keep assuming we'll end up in San Bernadino at some point.... but I haven't found it yet!

Comment

And looking backwards.

Comment

Los Angeles isn't short of Best Western hotels and 76 petrol stations is it. Sorry for being that guy but it looks like such a crap city

Comment

It's a handful of nice towns and villages in a beautiful basin of mountains next to a stunning piece of beach and ocean with spectacular climate, all connected by thousands of hectares of some of the dreariest urban shit you can imagine.

Comment

It's not San Bernardino, if that helps. Do we need more assistance?

Comment

Nah, ta. 'Manchester Boulevard' in Inglewood

That thing where the StreetView takes you up and down the bridge randomly when you try to move around is maddening

Comment

Of course, the notable thing at that intersection is on the other side of the road from the Shell station

Comment

I might have said that giant Randy's Donuts sign is the worst but I've just seen a full size billboard of James Corden's face on another building so you know

Also I've just done one so I'll let someone else go next
                        Last edited by Fussbudget; 08-10-2022, 22:38.

Comment

I hadn't seen James Corden. That would have been a great set-up for this.

The Randy's Donuts giant donut is quite a famous LA landmark. We once got a massive traffic fine for turning left across two double yellow lines to go into the donut shop (which we did not know was illegal when we did it, about 10 years ago), made more expensive by not living in the state and therefore the traffic violation ticket not being able to find its way to us for a long time so there were all kinds of additional penalties for late payment.

Comment

If no-one else is going to have a go, try this:

Comment

And the opposite direction down the same road.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Google car went down there really early in the morning as the place looks deserted though I have just found this pair waiting at a bus stop a little further down the road from the second picture.

Comment

I’m going out on a limb here. I think this is England.

Comment

It actually feels like my neck of the woods: Berks, Bucks and Oxon. So probably Cheshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      I’m going out on a limb here. I think this is England.
                                      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        It actually feels like my neck of the woods: Berks, Bucks and Oxon. So probably Cheshire.
                                        No.

Comment

A closer shot of the church you can see in the first picture, but it's the first picture that is the slightly more interesting location (though I'm obviously not showing you the interesting bit).

Comment

Here's the church
                                            6 Hamlet Rd https://maps.app.goo.gl/W2hQZj2fNgRdDvjR8

Comment

The bands around the church steeple look a lot like St. Matthews, Oxhey. But I can’t get an angle.

Edit: oops, too late, and wrong!
                                              Last edited by Sits; 09-10-2022, 09:33.

Comment

I made a guess at Haverhill and then just looked at all the churches. While also getting distracted by a shop called Transylvania and another called "Grout of this world" which is one of those places where you suspect the owner thought of the pun first before they decided to open a tile shop

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Here's the church
                                                  6 Hamlet Rd https://maps.app.goo.gl/W2hQZj2fNgRdDvjR8
                                                  Bravo. And the significance of the first location?

Comment

Anne of Cleves' house (it says here). She should have been called Anne of Haverhill

Comment

Working...
                                                    X