No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also seems to have some blue buildings. This is relatively promising.

Comment

Potentially promising views round Kliuchi.

Comment

This is the closest I can get so far. Possibly the right mountain. Right sort of A-frame utility poles, but I can't get any closer: https://maps.app.goo.gl/dAsF9wH4QW76FAyD6

I still might be in entirely the wrong place.

Comment

That’s a pretty good effort Balders. I thought it might be Alaska!

Comment

I feel Balders is almost certainly on the right track as Klyuchevskaya has smaller versions of itself close by, like the one in SB’s final photo. But a definite dearth of Streetview/Photospheres. I did find an entire human, who rather made me jump as I panned round an unsuccessful pin drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Did all the floating half-people break into applause when you said yes?
              Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
              Maybe they did all break into applause then but I just couldn't hear them.
              You know what they say about the sound of one hand clapping...

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                She knows that earthworms neither live to 97 years old or eat snails. That's what she thought made it funny.
                Yes, me too. I hope my equally deadpan response didn't come across as a legitimate criticism of her biological knowledge, it wasn't meant to...!!

Comment

So, just for the record, here's the shot! I was only a few minutes behind Balders but was on my phone and couldn't get precisely the right place either!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.32...7i13312!8i6656

Does 'Kamchatka' just mean 'Risk' for everyone else as well, or is it just me?

Comment

Hah, just beaten to it!
                    https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3236...2!8i6656?hl=en

What a stunning mountain – and what a thing to be able to overlook, in both senses. That is, were it not out in the wilds of Kamchatka, it ought to be one of the best-known sights on earth. As it is, I'd never heard of it, despite it being the largest land volcano outside the Americas.

Comment

And yes, all those places just mean 'Risk' for me too – I thought about this when I was posing one in eastern Russia the other day and realised I can't see words like Okhotsk, Irkutsk or Kamchatka without thinking of the game!

Comment

Well done, everyone. I used to think of Kamchatka as being Risk but now I think of it as being a land of beautiful perfect snow covered stratovolcanoes. I didn't actually know I'd picked the biggest one, just the one basically at the end of Streetview in Kamchatka.

I loved the way that it looks like a film set - like an image that someone painted for a 1950s or 60s fantasy movie backdrop that's draped behind a very run-down and rusty Siberian town.

Also I desperately wanted to give you all another Russian bus stop, even if it's much less glamorous than the previous ones.

Comment

And we thank you for it. Those books of Soviet bus stops do look oddly appealing now...

And yes, Klyuchevskaya Sopka (to give it its full name) is not the first thing I've come across thanks to this thread that I feel I really ought to have known at least something about, yet discovered I actually knew the square root of bugger-all. This game is very much an education!

Edit: Ugh – beautiful, but deadly: nine climbers were killed on it just last month.
                          Last edited by Various Artist; 02-10-2022, 11:29.

Comment

I haven't said yet how much I love those amazing underslung trains on the Wuppertal elevated-railway that Fussbudget led us to last night, by the way. Again, something I'd never even imagined but very cool.

Comment

One of the first things I found was this absolutely glorious winter Photosphere which appears to be taken from a drone in Petropavlovsk, the biggest city on the peninsula.

https://goo.gl/maps/WgHLxQSPkADpNLJL6

With more fantastic volcanoes in one direction, a ridiculously glitzy gold-onion-domed church (and volcanoes in the distance) in the other, and everything around it looking so run down. It would have been a hugely unfair image, so I had to go hunting a good view of a pretty volcano. If you click any of the adjacent streets on actual Streetview, you'd not know anything was here other than a very difficult life.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                I haven't said yet how much I love those amazing underslung trains on the Wuppertal elevated-railway that Fussbudget led us to last night, by the way. Again, something I'd never even imagined but very cool.
                                I missed that one last night as I was wining and dining round my mate's house (wine from Bargain Booze and dining on chicken nuggets and chips from the chippy, that is) but the Schwebebahn is f-ing ace​​. Getting a day ticket on it, and then getting the seat at the front, is a fine way to spend a couple of hours.

​​​​​

Comment

I presume you've all seen this as it pops up on twitter from time to time, but still amazing

Comment

Oh wow, no I for one certainly hadn't! Nice one.

Comment

So who’s up next? I’m not going again, as I probably have the worst challenges set to challenges solved ratio in the game.

Comment

So look what just came up on my Instagram suggestions:

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                          I presume you've all seen this as it pops up on twitter from time to time, but still amazing
                                          I hadn't seen it. The only time I use twitter is clicking on links on forums such as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            So look what just came up on my Instagram suggestions:
                                            This just says
                                            "Update your browser | Facebook
                                            https://instagram.com"
                                            for me – I assume you were showing something more specific there though that I just can't see, any clues please?

Comment

When I clicked on it it took me to an instagram account about Soviet bus shelters

{Edit: Bush shelters? Holy fuck}
                                              Last edited by ad hoc; 03-10-2022, 10:39.

Comment

Ahh, that makes sense! I just get the login page unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  When I clicked on it it took me to an instagram account about Soviet bush shelters
                                                  But that holds only when clicking on the top half ("Update your browser") and not on the bottom half (which just takes you to the instagram front page).

This is the link. And yes, you will need to log in.

Comment

Anyway, as we still seem to be without a current challenge, try this one:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X