No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually the best view is to start from this point and move very slowly forward. Mint

Comment

Not going to be awake much longer so I'll give you four views. Another that I have no idea if it will be trivial or impossible. My guess is trivial.

Looking towards the junction.

Comment

Looking left at the junction:

Comment

And right

Comment

I'll post the "money shot", looking back in the opposite direction to Shot 1, in a few minutes.

Comment

Comment

Kevin S - the place I stole this from allows reverse photo search. It results in reliably very difficult pictures to locate because they are so prepared.

I like the space and way this has formed here. If you snipped and reverse image search a lamppost and discover a reference point website of lampposts - you are a hero. But broad image searches aren’t really the fun part of the game.

at the end of the day, winning doesn’t even matter because once one clears often someone will ask for a fill-in for a place. Just maybe make sure you can’t google something in the picture. Something I have failed at more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  I like the cut of this girl's jib. Even if her natural sciences could do with a bit of a brush-up, by the sounds of it.
                  She knows that earthworms neither live to 97 years old or eat snails. That's what she thought made it funny.

Comment

Well done on the temple Fussbudget and VA. Apologies with the difficulty locating the photosphere. I didn't intend to make it that hard. It was the first photosphere that came up every single time I googled it, but I guess that maybe isn't the case for everyone!

That temple is where my husband proposed and we got engaged, ten years ago this December.

Comment

Not in that central bit though. It was in a quieter bit with a beautiful view out over the mountains. I couldn't find a photosphere of that section of the temple though.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        Blimey no, if yours was the tap-in my contribution was the equivalent of catching up with the rolling ball in the act of crossing the line and banging it into the back of the net to nick the credit for myself. I can hardly claim that one!
                        This act is known as Nugenting (in the football trivia WhatsApp group I'm in).

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          That temple is where my husband proposed and we got engaged, ten years ago this December.
                          Did all the floating half-people break into applause when you said yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Did all the floating half-people break into applause when you said yes?
                            As it was in a quieter bit, I don't think anyone even noticed what was going on. My husband knows me very well and knows I would have hated any sort of highly public proposal. I can't imagine anything worse than those people who get put on the spot on screen at the Superbowl or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it's a private matter between exactly two people, but it was lovely that it was in a beautiful, memorable location.

Fortunately there were no floating half people there in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              This is a beautiful mountain. The kind of perfect mountain that children draw. Unfortunately I don't know what or where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                Fortunately there were no floating half people there in reality.
                                None that you could see without a special camera, you mean.

Comment

My starter for ten is that it looks alpine rather than Himalayan.

Comment

But actually, looking at the other photos, I could be on entirely the wrong continent. Could be an African mountain perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

None that you could see without a special camera, you mean.
                                      Maybe they did all break into applause then but I just couldn't hear them.

Comment

I don't think it's Everest, Fuji, Matterhorn , Kilimanjaro or K2.

It's so perfect, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a filmset backdrop rather than a real place.

Comment

The A-frame utility poles and corrugated steel bus stops are very distinctive but I'll be damned if I can find out which country has them.

Comment

Definitely not trivial, I would have said! Difficult even to narrow down the continent. First thought was Africa/Kilimanjaro, but of course it isn't. Then the colour of the buildings made me think South America and maybe we were back near Ushuaia somewhere... But they actually look more former Soviet Union to me. Off to study my A-frame utility pole video again to see if that helps...;-)

Comment

It seems to be more of a volcanic mountain rather than one formed by tectonic plate crunching.

Comment

My best guess so far is Klyuchevskaya volcano in Russia. Off to check out utility poles near there.

Comment

Not having much luck. There's very little Streetview in Kamchatka and I have so far not even found one utility pole.

Comment

Aha, I found a small settlement and it has some A-frame utility poles. I'll continue with Kamchatka.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X