No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain (England most likely), arse end of nowhere, some brown signs. This has the whiff of another sodding battlefield or maybe Stonehenge-type business

Comment

No battlefield as far as I know!

Comment

Christ on a bike mate, you're no fun sometimes...

I logged back on just now as had a whole bunch more screenshots of that area ready to go, showing all the lovely 25-to-40-year-old cars parked in the surrounding streets – a Fiat Tipo, an Opel Kadett, a Renault Clio, a Ford Sierra, a Corsa or three, a VW Passat, a Seat Ibiza, a potentially 50-year-old Renault 4 (!), you name it. Go for a little jaunt around a block or two and you'll also find a Renault 5, two Fiat 500s, a mk2 VW Golf, what I could swear is a Metro, a Beetle, a Peugeot 205 and 305, a Citroen ZX, a Fiat Panda, the list just goes on and on. I can't say how bizarrely happy it makes me, I feel like a kid again. All pointless posting it now, though, of course.

Meanwhile, the spot was the very first one I added to my "I'll use this place someday" shortlist over a month ago when I started it soon after joining this game. We'd been looking for something else potentially down that corner of Europe, and afterwards I zoomed out with more or less the whole of the Adriatic on view, grabbed the StreetView pegman and simply dropped it at random somewhere along the Croatian coast... and found that I'd landed literally right next to this whacking great Roman amphitheatre that I'd never heard of before at Pula. Was so amazed and taken with this that I started my list specially to make sure I didn't forget it and to share in the game when the time eventually seemed right.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
          The golden hour light is probably helping but looking around the streets I just thought it looked like a lovely place. I'd love to visit if it wasn't a million miles away
          If it's anything like the towns on the Argentine side of the border (and I suspect if anything it's even duller), you're not missing much by not visiting, though Gualeguaychú is Argentina's capital of Carnival (but there's a reason you've never heard of people flocking to Argentina for Carnival).

Having said that, there are of course loads of capybaras, so it's got that going for it.

Comment

Should've just started with this more obscure one before, shouldn't I? (With identifying info redacted, of course.)

Suppose I might as well put the other pics up for posterity. Sigh.

Comment

Fray Bentos has an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Admittedly one centered on former meat packing plants, but still.

Comment

On our side of the river there's a place called Liebig, which had a similar industry back in the day. It contains Argentina's National Monument to Corned Beef (yes, really). It's just a roughly eight-foot model of a tin of corned beef. My mate who used to live in that part of the country his wife headed to Liebig each spring for what they called their 'annual family portrait', which was a photo of the two of them standing next to it. Having spent a couple of weeks house- and pet-sitting for them one summer, we started to see the attraction. There isn't a tremendous amount to do.

Comment

Liebig, which produced the German equivalent of Bovril, also had a plant in Fray Bentos that is part of the UNESCO site.

They also were the Panini of the early 20th century, focusing on "history"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    It contains Argentina's National Monument to Corned Beef (yes, really). It's just a roughly eight-foot model of a tin of corned beef.
                    EIM - just give me notice on when you will be there, I will make sure to join you.

Comment

So back to the current challenge: not a battlefield, connection to the previous one (Pula). Pula is not twinned with any UK locations so I’ve shifted my focus to Roman ruins. But most of those in England seem well away from major roads. Bath area maybe.

Comment

Feels like a bypass. The road on the last picture has a name, so it must be the edge of a village or town. Beyond that I don't have anything to offer

Comment

It does have a strong Roman connection, although I must admit it's not immediately obvious. Will put up a new pic soon (can't do it on my phone!).

Comment

But here's a quick clue: just think 'what did the Romans ever do for us?'

Comment

OK, not sure if the resolution is up to it. We've turned left at the junction in the second pic and gone a few yards. But remember, what we're looking for is now behind us!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Christ on a bike mate, you're no fun sometimes...

I logged back on just now as had a whole bunch more screenshots of that area ready to go
                                Heh, yes it's disappointing when someone gets it straight away and you've got all these carefully edited imgur images ready to go, isn't it??

Comment

And here are the (very unimpressive) remains of a monument to the place where we are (it's down a slightly different road and not visible on streetview unless you're directly looking at it). How are the mighty fallen!

Comment

High Cross, Leicestershire/Warwicks border where Watling Street crosses the Fosse Way. Need to get the angle yet.

Comment

Well done Sits !

Comment

First photo

Comment

Comment

If we’d been able to read this it would’ve narrowed things down! In fairness I needed some clues.

Comment

Give me an hour or two, if that’s OK.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

EIM - just give me notice on when you will be there, I will make sure to join you.
                                                I've already seen Sarajevo's canned beef monument. I need this ticking off for completism's sake.

Comment

Comment

A little way down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X