No announcement yet.

"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The differences there speak to one of the risks of this - before I found the cow I'd been looking at intersections in Latvia (including Ventspils, but I'm not sure if I ever looked at this one) and rapidly discounting many because they had a fence where the view shown didn't. In 2014 that intersection didn't have a fence, by 2018 it did.

Comment

How's this:

Comment

Alaska?

Comment

It certainly could be Alaska (where we started). The signs, hill, housing, truck etc look right, though that car port doesn't look like something that would last long there.

That flag looks New Zealand-y but the road markings that they are very, very keen on are not there. I suspect the flag is a red herring.

Comment

The flag is indeed a red herring (and indeed New Zealand). I was hoping that if I didn't make it too obvious I'd mislead someone, which was a bit tricky finding an angle where it was visible but not completely in your face.
            Carry on.

Comment

The snow on the mountain is a strange juxtaposition with the conditions in the shot.

I am wondering if it isn't as close as it appears.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-09-2022, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                The differences there speak to one of the risks of this - before I found the cow I'd been looking at intersections in Latvia (including Ventspils, but I'm not sure if I ever looked at this one) and rapidly discounting many because they had a fence where the view shown didn't. In 2014 that intersection didn't have a fence, by 2018 it did.
                Hah, I was looking around the area and had exactly the same trouble. Turns out Sean had cunningly shown us the 2014 views despite there being up to three more recent shots from those particular locations.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  The snow on the mountain is a strange juxtaposition with the conditions in the shot.

aim wondering if it isn't as close as it appears.
                  Where are you seeing snow?

Comment

Bears are renowned for their vision.
                    Anyway, this one has snow that's visible to all, same spot, looking in the opposite direction:

Comment

Never been to Alaska, but it looks to me like somewhere further south: the second picture could nearly be somewhere in Ireland. The amount of grass and greenery suggests a reasonably long growing season.

Comment

Would a view from other side of that water looking back at this spot be helpful?

Comment

The signs definitely suggest US to me. If it's not Alaska it's going to be somewhere like one of those lakesides in the nothern Rockies, right? Glacier NP area, or Donnely, ID, that sort of place. Except I don't see any snow in the streetview of those areas, so I'm back to believing it's Alaska.

Comment

Have we ruled out Canada? I was thinking British Columbia maybe...

Comment

I haven't. I don't know if those No Parking Any Time signs exist in Canada.

Comment

The yellow line down the middle of the road certainly seems to be common enough in British Columbia.

Comment

I was poking around there earlier on a similar progression of thoughts / options.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    Hah, I was looking around the area and had exactly the same trouble. Turns out Sean had cunningly shown us the 2014 views despite there being up to three more recent shots from those particular locations.
                                    Me three on that one. Think I went around that particular corner a couple of times without spotting it

Comment

The other thing I keep forgetting is how different the crop is on different devices, so if I'm looking for something screenshot from a phone I probably need to concentrate on a really small portion of the screen and see if it matches without being distracted by all the extra information on my screen (and which my brain might have filled in differently on the cropped image, e.g. on Sean's image I was expecting some kind of park on the left)

e.g. this is Sean's image:

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      and this is what the same position looks like on my screen:

Presumably people playing on phones get this the other way around

Comment

Absolutely - I first went through looking only at parks on the left.

Comment

Can we deduce from the third (last) picture that the road/waterway is going east/west? I'd assumed vaguely north/south for some reason....

Comment

Another view for mine. This one's taken from next to the water on the same side as the original 2 views. Their vantage point would be pretty much directly behind this one's:

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                              Can we deduce from the third (last) picture that the road/waterway is going east/west? I'd assumed vaguely north/south for some reason....
                                              NW-SE

Comment

I can see a yellow plate so... back to Alaska? Can't tell if the others are not yellow or just too recessed to be visible. The first one on the right looks like it might actually be white (like BC, haha. Maybe we're on the border)

Comment

Anyway, the marina. Does it suggest we're on some kind of inlet to the sea, or even islands, rather than on a lake? I've never seen pleasure boats like that on a lake but I guess there's no reason why they couldn't be (are they even pleasure boats rather than small fishing boats? I'm in way over my head here.)

I'll say that if it is Alaska Staph has done amazingly well to find 4 views without a US flag in any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                    I can see a yellow plate so... back to Alaska? Can't tell if the others are not yellow or just too recessed to be visible. The first one on the right looks like it might actually be white (like BC, haha. Maybe we're on the border)
                                                    It immediately looks to me that it is a baseball diamond on the left (that is the behind batter little-league guard dome)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X