"Where am I?" Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    If I’m not mistaken Shell don’t have service stations in Romania. They do in Turkey.
    Indeed.

Troy is a red herring more than a wooden horse mind you. Though I can confirm that we're on theme

Comment

There are hundreds of Shell stations in Greece, which also features royal blue highway signage.

This is no doubt true of other countries.

It isn't Marathon.

Comment

Support for a theory
        sv7.jpg

Comment

Ain't Greece, then

Comment

This is intriguing to me, because virtually all of the most famous battles of the Ottoman Empire took place outside the current borders of Turkey.

This obviously isn't the Dardanelles or Ankara

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              This is intriguing to me, because virtually all of the most famous battles of the Ottoman Empire took place outside the current borders of Turkey.
              The billboard is not just a clue to the country we're in

Comment

sv8.jpg

Comment

Hmmm.... could be Turkey.

Comment

If I wasn't busy with work, I'm sure I could get it now.

Comment

This isn't the right Shell station but I thought Various Artist might get a kick out of it. Proper Twilight Zone shit

Comment

This is our one. Similar uncanny stuff going on with the buildings in the background when you move around

Comment

We're in Inönü which might mean something to more knowledgeable people than me

Comment

During the western front (also known as the Greco-Turkish War (1919–22) of the Turkish War of Independence in 1921, the First and Second Battles of İnönü took place near the town between the Turkish and the Greek forces. The battles were named after the town, and İsmet İnönü, the Turkish commanding officer during the battles and future President and Prime Minister of Turkey, was given his surname in honor of his services during the battles.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...n%C3%B6n%C3%BC

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...n%C3%B6n%C3%BC

Comment

Well this thread is certainly an education.

Alright gents and gentesses, where am I?

Comment

No guesses yet? Could be anywhere vaguely mediterranean i'd have thought. Croatia? Slovenia? Portugal? Presumably the coast (if there is one near) is south/southeast of here....
                                  Nice tiles though

Comment

The mailbox and electrical boxes look very USian (where there are tens of thousands of ersatz "Mediterranean" houses"

Though the fences and street light are not USian.

Comment

What are those orange flowers? I know they will have been planted but that might help.

The village on the far hill could be Italian, but to be honest it could be more or less anywhere (could be here, though the foreground houses look distinctly nonhereish)

Comment

I'm also thinking that's a very short shadow for a tall street light. Maybe Croatia/Slovenia are too far north.

Comment

The house on the right appears to have an orange tree in the yard. Though given we'd already decided it is somewhere warm and Mediterranean I'm not usre how much help that is.

The architecture suggests Balkans to me, so Croatia or Montenegro most likely. I'm trying to work out what the building in the centre is. It's not just a house I think, because I can see there is a drive around to the left of the house, but there is also a car parked to the right of the house, and buildings to the rear. Guessing it could be some sort of vineyard or resort.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                            I'm also thinking that's a very short shadow for a tall street light. Maybe Croatia/Slovenia are too far north.
                                            If it's the middle of the day, that wouldn't matter.

Comment

Looking left now:

Comment

Noveaux riches development in the former Yugoslavia

Comment

That blue and white sharp bend sign looks rather unnecessary. That's not helpful it's just an observation

Comment

It tells me that at least one vehicle missed the bend

Comment

Working...
                                                    X