Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where in the US do you come from (or sound as though you do)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cities are Newark/Paterson, Philadelphia and Detroit. The first two apparently mainly because of "Mischief NIght".

But more generally, from the map, I seem to be either West Coast, Utah or Michigan. Coldest in Texas and the SE, generally hot everywhere west of the Rockies except, bizarrely, for a cold patch around Vegas.

Comment

Mischief Night first came to prominence in Detroit, but has spread.

I would be very interested in how they distinguish among Newark, Jersey City and Patterson, which are all within 15 miles of each other.

Comment

This is kinda weird. No arguments with London, but Dover and...Littlehampton is it? Or Bognor?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Yeah, kitty-corner was obvious. I was confused that 'boulevard' wasn't even a choice for 'grass strip between the sidewalk and the road'. I didn't even realize there were other words for it.
          They call that the parkway here. Which is dumb. I suspected this was a very good question and someone on Quora has helped prove how crazy it is.
          • Berm: Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Zealand
          • Besidewalk
          • Boulevard: Detroit, Michigan; North Dakota; Minnesota; Iowa; Illinois; Ohio; Wisconsin; United States Upper Midwest; Winnipeg, and western Canada; Markham, Ontario; Kitchener, Ontario
          • Boulevard strip: U.S. Upper Midwest
          • City grass
          • Curb lawn: Kalamazoo, Michigan; Elyria, Ohio; Miami County, Ohio; Greenville, South Carolina
          • Curb strip: New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington
          • Devil strip or devilstrip: Akron, Ohio; Northeast Ohio. This term was once used more widely to refer to the space between tracks on a streetcar line, a space not wide enough to stand in as cars passed.
          • Easement
          • Extension lawn: Ann Arbor, Michigan
          • Furniture zone, also planter/furniture zone or landscape/furniture zone: a term used by urban planners, indicating its suitability for "street furniture" such as utility poles and fire hydrants, as well as trees or planters
          • Government grass
          • Grass bay: New Jersey
          • Grassplot: East Coast of the United States, Pennsylvania
          • Green belt
          • Hellstrip
          • Island strip: Long Island, New York
          • Median: Washington, Oregon
          • Nature strip: Australia
          • Neutral ground: U.S. Gulf states
          • Out lawn
          • Park strip: Ohio
          • Parking: Illinois, Iowa, Western United States
          • Parking strip: Washington, Oregon, Utah, much of California
          • Parkrow: Iowa, Oregon
          • Parkway: Greater Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, West Coast of the United States, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Florida, Texas
          • Parkway strip: Austin, Texas; Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Pavement: South Africa
          • Planter zone: SmartCode/New Urbanist terminology
          • Planting strip: Berkeley, California, Seattle, Washington
          • Right-of-way: Wisconsin, Illinois
          • Road allowance: Ottawa, Canada
          • Road reserve
          • Road verge: Australia
          • Roadside: Australia
          • Sidewalk buffer
          • Sidewalk lawn: Georgia
          • Sidewalk plot: Virginia, Maryland, Indiana, Tennessee
          • Sidewalk strip: California, Oregon, Utah, Washington
          • Snow shelf: Connecticut
          • Street allowances: Toronto
          • Street easement
          • Street lawn: Ohio
          • Swale: South Florida
          • Terrace: U.S. Great Lakes region, Missouri
          • That Narrow Strip Of Grass Between The Sidewalk And The Street: Chattanooga, Tennessee
          • Tree belt: Massachusetts
          • Tree lawn or treelawn: Ohio, Indiana, New York, and elsewhere
          • Utility strip
          • Verge: UK, New Zealand, Western Australia

Comment

Boulevard? For a grass verge? Wild.

Comment

There are multiple towns on Long Island that have streets named "Boulevard Avenue".

People be crazy here.

Comment

Have we ever done tautologous place names? Boulevard Avenue, Baden Baden, Bath Spa, Glen Canyon, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  Boulevard? For a grass verge? Wild.
                  I love that you're outraged by that but not "besidewalk"

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone really uses that.

The examples attributed to New York are unfamiliar to me as well,

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      I'm not sure that anyone really uses that.

The examples attributed to New York are unfamiliar to me as well,
                      Buffalo gonna Buffalo.

Comment

Bless the good people of Chattanooga, Tenn: "That Narrow Strip Of Grass Between The Sidewalk And The Street".

Comment

Where is G-Man?

I had assumed that South Africans used pavement for what USians call a sidewalk, but that list claims they use it for verge.

Comment

I'm pretty sure South Africans use pavement for sidewalk.

If you want to find out if someone's from South Africa ask them what they call traffic lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

I love that you're outraged by that but not "besidewalk"
                              I note that this nonsense has no supporting jurisdictions in the list.

Thing is, though, "besidewalk" is just a piece of nonsense. "Boulevard" is a word already, that means something else. It's like those bloody Apple people and their "Airport".

Comment

I apparently come from Nottingham, even though I have never lived there. To be fair though, it is halfway between Lincoln, where I spent the first 20 odd years, and Tamworth, where I spent the next 20 odd years. Over the past couple of decades I've dropped certain words and phrases that I used as a youth and adopted new ones from the Midlands, so this seems like a compromise.
                                I haven't adopted the Hull accent yet, but that would be easily deducted by just asking if you rhyme the word 'now with 'fur'.

Screenshot_20220517-154449_Firefox.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  Surprise surprise (actually I am a tiny bit surprised it's so neat this time because when I did it before it had Carlisle and Scarborough lit up as well)

How long have you lived there?

Comment

Haha...."Street allowances: Toronto"...said nobody ever in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

How long have you lived there?
                                      Coming up to 12 years. The North East words seem very distinctive though, unlike say London or North West slang there's not a lot of leakage to the rest of the country so they place you quite accurately. Same with the pronunciations (the but/put rhyme and door/poor non-rhyme overlap is basically just North East England)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        Have we ever done tautologous place names? Boulevard Avenue, Baden Baden, Bath Spa, Glen Canyon, etc...
                                        Townsville

Comment

How do US resisemts here pronounce route?

Comment

Usually, rhyming with “out” rather than “root.”
                                            But I hear it both ways around here so I probably switch without noticing.

And for various pop cultural reasons, Route 66 is “Root Sixty-Six.”

Incidentally, calling a major road “Route” plus whatever the number is has fallen away, I think.

Usually it’s just called by the number or sometimes with the “I” in front if it’s an interstate, like “take I-95 down to Richmond and then get on 64 east.”

Of course, we never say “the” in front of the number. That’s only on the west coast.
                                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 28-05-2022, 14:09.

Comment

I think it's regional, still, isn't it?

In California we took "The 405". Here in Massachusetts I occasionally hear people taking "Route 95" of the interstate, and definitely "Route 3" for MA-3

Comment

It is the "the" that is Californian, though it is spreading.

US pronunciations of route are all over the shop,

Comment

The only road name I remember from visiting Boston is the Mass Pike.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X