Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where in the US do you come from (or sound as though you do)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 6.45.29 AM.png
    NAILED IT
    (Although I had to repress the Nawlinian inside me to keep from "y'alls" and such YUHEARDMHAY?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I had a few teachers from Pittsburgh, and they sort of sounded like it, but they didn’t say yinz as far as I recall.

My first exposure to that dialect in its pure form was Myron Kope, who was the color commentator for the Steelers on the radio.
      Thank you HP.

Thank you.

And I thought Meryl Reese was brilliant.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-eipmRGDw

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        I ran into the paywall when I tried to open either your link, AB, or ursus's link, no matter in what browser I tried – even with private windows.

However, I just tried plugging "british irish dialect quiz" into a search engine in Waterfox (it came up with Bing by default), and by clicking on the link that came up in the results (even though it's the same link as above) it let me in. Just tried the same with Firefox however (using my default search engine Ecosia, which I think piggybacks on Bing) and it didn't work. Curious.
        Yay! This worked for me also (even in Firefox). The UK one got me somewhat accurately in the South, though skewed a bit further East than where I'm actually from. Just for fun I re-did the US one, mostly because the UK one allowed you to pick multiple answers and I was wondering if the US one actually did and I just didn't realize it when I first took it. It doesn't, but this time it put me in San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles, from a somewhat different set of questions to the first time that I took it.

Comment

Ahh great, I'm glad that workaround worked for somebody else at least! I'm also glad to hear I didn't miss the possibility of multiple answers in the US variant.

Tempted to redo the one (or indeed the second if it's possible) and see if I get a different result from different questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            This is her scratchbox. It's made of corrugated cardboard. She prefers a horizontal one that she also sits on as well over the upright scratching post with the sisal coating.

20220515_065703.jpg
            Thanks for clearing that one up Sean! I was picturing that sort of thing while I was writing my earlier response, but although I've seen this sort of thing at friends' houses I've never had one at home myself (for the cat, I mean), don't have a clear idea how common they actually are, and never stopped to think about what you might call one.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              Ahh great, I'm glad that workaround worked for somebody else at least! I'm also glad to hear I didn't miss the possibility of multiple answers in the US variant.

Tempted to redo the one (or indeed the second if it's possible) and see if I get a different result from different questions.
              I went down the Bing route and it worked for me. And, despite having mostly lived abroad for about two thirds of my life the result honed in pretty well on where I spent a large part of my formative years.

Comment

I always seem to get different city results, though it always has Calfornia the closest for me, which is accurate. One time it showed two Californian cities, and also Albequerque, which was interesting because my dad is from New Mexico.

Oakland, Fremont, Fresno for me this time.

Comment

Comment

Hah, nice one Inca, we can all see your roots are clearly in Albuquerque, Co. Galway.

Comment

I got San Jose and Oakland but not San Francisco. I am simultaneously pissed and also curious what the difference was, so I can immediately expunge it from my language.

Comment

That's one great linguistic differentiator right there, of course Flynnie. Anyone in Britain trying to do the quiz while simultaneously pissed would be a few sheets to the wind, not irritated.

Comment

I use both, people in the UK seem to get the context thanks to american TV, I guess.

I looked up the original Harvard quiz the NYT's is based on, and my use of sneakers over tennis shoes (although I definitely remember tennis shoes being used frequently during my childhood as the preferred term for what you'd call trainers in the UK) and sub for a large sandwich filled with cold cuts over just a sandwich seems to have thrown me out of the San Francisco classification. I will remember and do better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                            Yonkers/Jersey City/Newark.

Yes, me too.

I had no idea that Home Counties RP was the predominant dialect in Jersey. This is a gamechanger.

Comment

I can't disagree with this... Although I'm upset about Reading showing up, too.

Comment

Seattle and Spokane. Which is what I'd expect I guess.

Comment

Surprise surprise (actually I am a tiny bit surprised it's so neat this time because when I did it before it had Carlisle and Scarborough lit up as well)

Comment

Also I've got to say I'm impressed they have the correct croggy/tan split on that quiz map, that is insanely specific

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

WOM has used kitty corner on here countless times. The first time was just being Ontario, ever since it has been to get a rise.
                                      Yeah, kitty-corner was obvious. I was confused that 'boulevard' wasn't even a choice for 'grass strip between the sidewalk and the road'. I didn't even realize there were other words for it.

Comment

Does anyone besides New Yorkers wait 'on line' for a movie vs 'in line' or in a queue?

Comment

Ontarians stand in a lineup, for the record.

Comment

We do that, but only if the police are trying to get someone identified for a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Does anyone besides New Yorkers wait 'on line' for a movie vs 'in line' or in a queue?
                                              Is queue used anywhere in the USA?

Comment

No.

Episodically in an IT context (where it is sometimes spelled "cue").

And yes, "on line" is a New Yorkism, though one we take everywhere.
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 17-05-2022, 11:42.

Comment

Got there in the end, but it’s only part of the picture. Paternal grandmother grew up in Deal (Dover) but none of her Mum’s Irish survives. Similarly my Dad’d dad’s Wye Valley heritage. But Mum’s Dartford/Maidstone family show up strongly along with west London (where we were born) and Berkshire where I grew up.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                    We do that, but only if the police are trying to get someone identified for a crime.
                                                    Which is also a USian usage (probably the first thing most USians think of when they hear "lineup" due to the cultural weight of cop shows).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X