Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where in the US do you come from (or sound as though you do)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the same NYC, Jersey City and Yonkers triad, which is obviously spot on, though I would note that while denizens of those three places do tend to use the same words for these things, their accents can differ (of course, there are all kinds of accents within NYC itself).

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
      Does no one in the US call sand shoes plimsolls?

No, not a single individual. One would be jailed and deported.

No one calls them "sand shoes", either.

Comment

The Hawaiian Flag

It has its origins in a British Naval Ensign that George Vancouver gave to the King in the late 18th Century.

That said, Hawaii was never a British possession.
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 14-05-2022, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          Mine were New York, Honolulu and Yonkers.

Is Yonkers nice? Such a strange name.
          The name, as with many place names near here, is a corruption of a Dutch original (in this case Jonkheer).

It is on the Hudson River only two miles north of the NYC border and was a thriving city for much of the period between 1850 and 1950 that fell on hard times with the suburban boom of the 60s and beyond. In the last 20 years, it has undergone quite a bit of redevelopment, particularly along the riverfront, and become a pleasant place to spend an afternoon (and a more affordable place to live).

Comment

Does this link work for the British/Irish Dialect Quiz?

https://nyti.ms/38Pt99h

Comment

Daughter got Rochester, New York, Honolulu. In doing this I've realised they aren't the same 25 questions for everyone and found another completely baffling on about kitty corners and the like.

Comment

I presume you would answer that as "I would always use diagonal".

Does it not sometimes rain while the sun is shining by you? "We" don't have a term for it either.

If people want to get the Midwest, key answers are "pop" for carbonated beverage and "midway" for strip of land in the middle of a broad street.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  It's just not a thing, really. Like, there's no name for it here, because, yeah, it's not a thing. It seems quite niche, given how few people live on a corner like that anyway. I mean, I guess more in kitty-korner-land, but even so.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    Does no one in the US call sand shoes plimsolls?

Back in Wiltshire in the 60s they were daps.

Comment

It isn't much of a thing here, either, despite their being multiple examples on most every block.

People here will recognise "kitty korner" but it is much too cute to be adopted.

Comment

Weird. Got Rockford, Madison, Aurora. We moved all over the USA and overseas growing up, but spent only a short time in the midwest..

I also clicked a few "no answer for that word"

Comment

I've only ever heard of Yonkers when watching Hello Dolly...

Comment

Cal, do you use "bubbler" for drinking fountain?

That has always been the Uber Wisconsin term for me.

Comment

Cal, do you use "bubbler" for drinking fountain?

That has always been the Uber Wisconsin term for me.
                              Can't say I've ever heard that word used for a drinking fountain.

Comment

They really do use it.

It's wild.

Comment

Does it not sometimes rain while the sun is shining by you? "We" don't have a term for it either.

If people want to get the Midwest, key answers are "pop" for carbonated beverage and "midway" for strip of land in the middle of a broad street.
                                  On the first, as TonTon suggests, it's not something I'd never have to describe.

The second doesn't happen often enough for us to need a term for it I guess. The weather forecasters would just say "sunny with showers".

However round here we do say "pop" for carbonated drinks, but that can change by area here (the kids' mother grew up less than 20 miles from me and found it hilarious that I used the term).

Comment

Surprised there was no question on what people call a sugary, carbonated beverage.

A) Pop
                                    B) Soda
                                    C) Soft drink
                                    D) Coke

Article and map from 2018 - https://www.businessinsider.com/soda...ke-map-2018-10

EDIT -- Ha! I clicked on the survey link again and there are multiple questions and the soft drink one is there - never mind, carry on...
                                    Last edited by Cal Alamein; 14-05-2022, 13:59.

Comment

As Walt noted, the questions aren't always the same.

That was included in my set (and is a classic for giving a decent answer with only one question).

Comment

I got Glendale, Durham and New York. The latter apparently purely because I pronounce Mary, marry and merry differently.
                                        There were a few answers where I couldn't decide which one I'd actually use as more than one of the answers seemed perfectly natural to me.
                                        UA's UK NYT link is also paywalled for me.

Comment

The Californian Glendale, presumably

Too bad about the link. The "Share".function for subscribers rarely works as it should.

Comment

That was fun, particularly for “Pineapple rain” which I had never heard before.

The fun part is when the questions are very obviously steering the boat (water fountains, athletic shoes) versus the really niche Southern precision ones (drive through liquor stores).

Comment

Bricks and mortar liquor stores should feature, with Package Store, Bottle Shop, etc

Comment

The Californian Glendale, presumably
                                                Yes

Comment

I got Greensboro, but the heat map extends all the way up to where I live.

My language is a mix of regional influences. I live right on the Soda-Pop border, for example.

Comment

And you don't use "yinz"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X