OTF Wordle Ryder Cup(-lite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What next?

Thanks for dangling the carrot of an 18-hole contest, Rogin the Armchair fan. As it's turned out I'm glad to have downsized my original concept for the Ryder Cup, which was to have adhered more closely to the structure of the real thing. The rhythm of nine-hole matches suits our context well, and no one would want to find themselves 6 down or whatever. A medal play (ie strokeplay) version would be too much of a headache to run, with the ever-present risk of someone missing a hole.

It would be a fool's errand to try to schedule a multi-player tournament over the summer, as we'd never get everyone's availability to coincide. In the autumn (Sept-Nov) I envisage staging another individual matchplay tournament and Ryder Cup, with the same caveats that Wordle remains free to play and hasn't run out of juice.

To sustain some momentum until then, I am proposing an open-challenge grading ladder, whereby any players may arrange a nine-hole head-to-head matchplay as is mutually convenient. I've calculated a performance grade for all 33 players who have been part of either or both of our tournaments; these chiefly take account of stroke average, with a matchplay component included to obtain better differentiation. The majority of these grades are in the range 150-240 (the higher the better), and any new joiners would be very welcome on to the ladder with a starting grade of 180. (Whether or not you join the ladder competition, the grades will give me a reference point for determining pairings in any future Swiss-style tournament.)

Once you join the grading ladder there will be no further recalibration of your grade by strokeplay etc; all subsequent changes will be governed by matchplay results. In multi-player tournaments, head-to-head matches will count towards the grading ladder where both players have elected to be on it.

It would be up to the playing pair to keep track of how their match progresses, and the only information I'd need would be 'X beat Y' or 'X halved with Y.' The victory margin is immaterial to the change in grading, and lower-graded players have more to gain and less to lose, viz.:

If Player A's grade is 0-24 points lower than Player B's grade:
    Result Change to A's grade Change to B's grade
    A wins +3 -3
    Halved 0 0
    B wins -3 +3
    If Player A's grade is 25-49 points lower than Player B's grade:
    A wins +5 -5
    Halved +2 -2
    B wins -2 +2
    If Player A's grade is 50+ points lower than Player B's grade:
    A wins +8 -8
    Halved +4 -4
    B wins -1 +1
    You may challenge any player on the ladder, not just someone above you. Players will be invited to submit their 'open dates' when they are available for a match. There are a few other points of order I can outline if this gets some traction, and I'd put it all on to a new thread.

If I get some expressions of interest, there's no reason why this shouldn't start straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
      Ryder.png
      Match score Great Britain 13 Rest of the World 12
      Oh, I say. That's magnificent IT, a very hearty OTF guzman!

Comment

What next?

Thanks for dangling the carrot of an 18-hole contest, Rogin the Armchair fan. As it's turned out I'm glad to have downsized my original concept for the Ryder Cup, which was to have adhered more closely to the structure of the real thing. The rhythm of nine-hole matches suits our context well, and no one would want to find themselves 6 down or whatever. A medal play (ie strokeplay) version would be too much of a headache to run, with the ever-present risk of someone missing a hole.

It would be a fool's errand to try to schedule a multi-player tournament over the summer, as we'd never get everyone's availability to coincide. In the autumn (Sept-Nov) I envisage staging another individual matchplay tournament and Ryder Cup, with the same caveats that Wordle remains free to play and hasn't run out of juice.

To sustain some momentum until then, I am proposing an open-challenge grading ladder, whereby any players may arrange a nine-hole head-to-head matchplay as is mutually convenient. I've calculated a performance grade for all 33 players who have been part of either or both of our tournaments; these chiefly take account of stroke average, with a matchplay component included to obtain better differentiation. The majority of these grades are in the range 150-240 (the higher the better), and any new joiners would be very welcome on to the ladder with a starting grade of 180. (Whether or not you join the ladder competition, the grades will give me a reference point for determining pairings in any future Swiss-style tournament.)

Once you join the grading ladder there will be no further recalibration of your grade by strokeplay etc; all subsequent changes will be governed by matchplay results. In multi-player tournaments, head-to-head matches will count towards the grading ladder where both players have elected to be on it.

It would be up to the playing pair to keep track of how their match progresses, and the only information I'd need would be 'X beat Y' or 'X halved with Y.' The victory margin is immaterial to the change in grading, and lower-graded players have more to gain and less to lose, viz.:

If Player A's grade is 0-24 points lower than Player B's grade:
        A wins +3 -3
        Halved 0 0
        B wins -3 +3
        If Player A's grade is 25-49 points lower than Player B's grade:
        A wins +5 -5
        Halved +2 -2
        B wins -2 +2
        If Player A's grade is 50+ points lower than Player B's grade:
        A wins +8 -8
        Halved +4 -4
        B wins -1 +1
        You may challenge any player on the ladder, not just someone above you. Players will be invited to submit their 'open dates' when they are available for a match. There are a few other points of order I can outline if this gets some traction, and I'd put it all on to a new thread.

If I get some expressions of interest, there's no reason why this shouldn't start straight away.
        As for this... wow, I understood virtually none of that, but I'm very happy to be part of whatever comes next since, as noted upthread, this is all that really keeps me playing Wordle it appears. Happy to take part in any challenge match or tournament available.

I got a 3 today, for what it's worth.

Comment

Wow that looks magnificent IT. I will need to read it again. Once or twice.

And did I mention that I wish to subscribe to your newsletter?

Comment

Congratulations to my GB teammates, and I'd like to add my thanks to irony towers for the fantastic organisation and entertaining rundowns.

Comment

Putty in your hands, IT. I'm up for anything. Got a 3 today but it feels sort of hollow. I don't think I even played with the same intensity, just got lucky with my first word and it should maybe have been a 2.

Also happy to change my up before the larks posting times. I often wonder if it's a bit unfair to my opponents. I suppose I could always claim to be Australian? Or Argentinian when I'm on night shift?

Comment

Yes, I’m in. Of course I am.

Comment

I'm in, for whatever it is. Can we play more than one opponent at the same time? So on any given day a 4 from me might lose a hole against B's 3, but I beat C's 5?

Comment

Yea count me in IT. Will worry about understanding it once it starts. And can only echo the compliments and thanks to you expressed so far .

Comment

I'm 100% in for anything IT

Comment

Yes, I'd be in. I understand very little either!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          As for this... wow, I understood virtually none of that, but I'm very happy to be part of whatever comes next since, as noted upthread, this is all that really keeps me playing Wordle it appears. Happy to take part in any challenge match or tournament available.
                          Same here. I will reread it another few times and still probably won't get a full grasp of it until I am playing, so I will just sign whatever is put in front of me and wait for someone with a large prod to jab me and point me towards the necessary places.

Comment

Count me in.

Comment

What it boils down to is: you pick someone who's free to play, play a nine-hole matchplay, tell me the result and I'll sort out any grading changes.

Rogin the Armchair fan One opponent at a time, I think, otherwise we really will be in the fog.

Logan Mountstuart In my observation the time of posting is a negligible factor. When I've tried to use it as a tactic to put down an early marker, it backfired as often as it, um, frontfired. In any case some players will opt to play the hole before seeing the opponent's result.

Thanks, everyone; I'll set up the new thread and challenges can be in place for tee-off tomorrow.

Comment

Well, IT, may I have the honour of challenging you?

Comment

Challenge accepted Sits. As it happens, we have the same grade right now. Off we go tomorrow with game #344.

Comment

Great stuff.

Comment

What they all said, IT. Magnificent stuff and I'm up for continuing any which way, as long as I'm not expected to explain this challenge format to anyone at any point.

Comment

with the same caveats that Wordle remains free to play and hasn't run out of juice.
                                        The NYT have said they'll keep the main game free, and the guy who originally programmed it says it's scheduled to end some time in September or October 2025, if I remember rightly. So we should be fine for another Ryder Cup later this year.

Comment

Working...
                                        X