No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle Ryder Cup(-lite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you got a peach of a score today and it's counted for naught, remember it's all on Sits for not closing out Match K yesterday.

Comment

Sits wasted my number two.

You heard me.

Comment

I've just plopped one of those into the hole as well. Bah.

Well played though Sits and ad hoc, a deserved win for the ROW. Hard luck Rogin the Armchair fan and well played this round – sorry I couldn't be of more use at any stage. Having had ten pars and a bogey from my last eleven holes played up to and including Tuesday, I really had no chance of winning a hole unless my opponent had a 'mare. Sod's law I just finally produced a good score on a rest day, presumably to get it out of my system before returning to mediocrity tomorrow.

Comment

Round 3 scorecard:

Match score (13 TO WIN): GB 7 RoW 6
          Pts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
          N nmrfox 2
          Discordant Resonance 1
          O Hot Orange 1
          Harbinger of Hope 0
          P Various Artist 0
          San Bernardhinault 0
          Q Reality Checkpoint 2
          Balderdasha 2
          R pebblethefish 1.5
          matt j 0.5
          S Sean of the Shed 1
          WOM 1.5
          T ale 1.5
          ad hoc 2
          U Rogin the Armchair fan 1
          lambers 0
          V Auntie Beryl 0
          Logan Mountstuart 0.5
          W Guy Profumo 1
          Sporting 1
          X Simon G 1
          Sam 1
          Y David Agnew 1
          Sits 2

Comment

Letter frequencies in Rounds 1 and 2 (19 days):

10: E

8: A R

7: I

6: N O S

5: G L T Y

4: C D

3: H M

2: B F U V

1: K P

0: J Q W X Z

Comment

Haha, I'm tickled to see that the match between San Bernardhinault and me is the only pairing of players that's earned precisely 0 points between them so far in this tournament. Truly it's set to be a race to the bottom, isn't it?

Comment

Right then! David Agnew here's to a good game, as the mist clears over the OTF Championship Links.

Match Y, Hole 1: I whacked a one iron into the rough on the left of the fairway, over-corrected my wedge to the far right* side of the green and then had a range of options to assess. Fortunately I read the lie and rolled a long one in for a birdie 3!

*portent of the Aussie election there.

Comment

'Better ball' dispensation in Ryder Cup:

Although we have negotiated two rounds where no one has inadvertently seen a hint to the game's solution, I'm not complacent about the need for a contingency.

If you know in advance that you won't manage to play the hole or post your result on a given day, please give notification of this by the preceding evening. The hole will then be voided in your match on the day(s) of your absence.

If you accidentally see the solution, or a hint, before playing the hole, please declare this has happened. If your opponent plays the hole before having seen your message, the default assumption is that their score on that hole may be carried forward, and their 'better ball' score will apply to the next contested hole.

Example: On game #334 Player A scores 3, Player B's game is invalidated by seeing the solution. On game #335 Player A scores 5 and Player B scores 4; the hole is awarded to Player A by virtue of the better ball ruling. (The purpose of this dispensation is that Player A should not see their good score wasted owing to extraneous circumstances.)

There is still the possibility of reaching a different arrangement that best fits the particular circumstances. In the team format I think it's preferable to relieve the individual of the option to waive the better ball entitlement, since that decision would be freighted with more significance than if it were to affect their match alone.
                  Last edited by irony towers; 19-05-2022, 00:05.

Comment

I started off with an eagle 2.

Comment

A 5 down the first for me.

Comment

Three

Comment

Simon G Have a good game! 3 to beat.

Comment

The beer on the first tee calms my nerves and allows me to start of with a 3 matt j

Comment

A 4 doesnt offer much confidence that enough against ad hoc

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                Simon G Have a good game! 3 to beat.
                                This could be the first 5 and 4 in this year's tournament.

A 5 for me today Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                  A 4 doesnt offer much confidence that enough against ad hoc
                                  Your lack of confidence was misplaced. A disappointing 5 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

This could be the first 5 and 4 in this year's tournament.

A 5 for me today Sam.
                                    You flatter me.

In non-Ryder Wordle news, some might remember I'd posted a link to a site that will port your stats, except for your current streak, over to a new device/browser, due to which I've been playing (the same moves) on both phones to keep track of what my current streak is. Well tonight I picked up my old phone to input my guesses into it and found I'd obviously forgotten to do so for Wednesday's game, because it showed me a current streak of 1. So I'll have to keep count manually from now on. Sixty-four and counting, in case anyone's interested.

Comment

nmrfox You should at least match my 4 today.

Comment

Discordant Resonance and as you rightly predicted, I did. A 4 for me too, though my third shot did trouble the hole but decided to stay on the green rather than dropping in.

Comment

Logan Mountstuart I've set you a target of 5 today.

Comment

WOM you have a birdie 3 to go at.

Comment

Harbinger of Hope A par 4 for me to kick off.

Comment

Balderdasha Despite being on the green in two the damn ball wouldn't 'get in the hole' and I ended up with a bogey 5.

Comment

Auntie Beryl. Apologies for keeping you waiting. I'm on late shift this week. Anyway, a disastrous, yippy 6 for me today.

Comment

Why does the giraffe have to be right over the hole?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X