No announcement yet.

Worldle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Globle is the one that has a world map with the countries changing colour to tell you how warm you are with your guess, and you have unlimited guesses. It's pretty easy, especially as unlike Worldle it uses sovereign states so you don't have so many obscure uninhabited islands popping up.

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

There ıs a settıng that makes the maps come ın on a random orıentatıon
    Is no one goıng to ask about the mıssıng dots on the i's ın thıs post? Were you briefly posting from a Turkish keyboard?

Comment

I am currently living in Turkey and that's my work computer's default. On this occasion I hadn't got round to switching it back to non Turkish

Comment

A-ha! Mystery solved, ta. I wasn't sure if it was some sophisticated meta joke about the orientation of the maps that I wasn't getting (upside down i's?)

os ɟᴉ sᴉɥʇ ǝuop ǝʌɐɥ ʇsnɾ ʎlqɐqoɹd plnoʍ noʎ ɥƃnoɥʇ :ʇᴉpƎ
        Last edited by Fussbudget; 28-03-2022, 20:32.

Comment

Courtesy of diggedy derek on FB, this song is utterly superb. You might not expect it when you start, but...bear with it

Comment

Jay Foreman's YouTube channel is one of those that you always know is going to be entertaining and interesting when a new video gets uploaded, and Map Men is the best thing he does. Also the only YouTube channel where I actually keep watching for the advert at the end.

Comment

Ones like today's are somehow the best kind

spoiler: Show
              It's countries some of the perimeters of which are defined by lakes, because it feels difficult to place them

Comment

I don't get the grammar of the spoiler content.

Comment

Yeah it's really poorly written. To be honest I didn't think I'd be able to make the spoiler tags work, so I didn't bother cleaning it up, assuming I'd have to delete it anyway

Comment

You are right in that I think that most people tend not to take lakes into account when thinking of a country's outline. Though it may also be that most of us just aren't that familiar with many of them (though I got this in two).

Michigan's "iconic" mitten-shape, for example, is largely defined by lakes.

Comment

A correlary of sorts also presented today is that borders formed by major rivers can very much "read" as coastlines once the broader geographic context is removed.

Comment

Another shape defined by lakes is Uganda I think.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        Jay Foreman's YouTube channel is one of those that you always know is going to be entertaining and interesting when a new video gets uploaded, and Map Men is the best thing he does. Also the only YouTube channel where I actually keep watching for the advert at the end.
                        This was totally my reaction to Foreman’s Map Men and Unfinished London when I first saw them. To start with, you're like 'yeah', and after five minutes, it's displaying some very deep knowledge.

Comment

Hmmm so today I've learned that worldle repeats countries and doesn't just cycle through every one until starting again

Comment

Yesterday's (and today's to a lesser extent) really rubbed home how conditioned I am from seeing countries depicted with North at the top - I completely failed to recognize the very distinctive shape of Croatia when it was rotated, and instantly got it when I turned off the rotation.

Comment

I found today's shape to be odd, and different from the usual outline for the country. Anyone else?

Comment

I am not at all used to the islands being represented in an outline for that nation (and a quick image search indicates that they very rarely are).

Comment

Am just getting (back) into this game, having played once in February, got New Zealand instantly, and quit while I was ahead. In fact, these last few days I've been playing three different games all called Worldle, thanks to them all coming up in an internet search, and me not getting the 'right' one until the third attempt.

Those islands threw me too. I think I got there in 4 though, fortunately.

On the plus side, trying to triangulate my way towards the country meant I used one particular wrong guess that I then recalled minutes later, when it went past midnight and I could try again. I randomly tried inputting it as my first guess for Saturday in one of the other Worldles (https://worldle-app.com/), which has no outlines and therefore you have no recourse other than triangulation – and by an incredible freak stroke of luck, it landed just 171km away from the target, which was a directly neighbouring country!

The third Worldle I'm playing is different again: https://worldledaily.com/
                                  It starts you off by showing you a picture from Google Streetview, and you then have to click on the world map to try to pinpoint where you are. If you're wrong, it shows a circle on the map for you in which the target will be somewhere. If you fail again it reduces the size of the circle, and so forth. I got Friday's in one, as it was somewhere I know and indeed I've actually been. Saturday's, I didn't even start on the right continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    Am just getting (back) into this game, having played once in February, got New Zealand instantly, and quit while I was ahead. In fact, these last few days I've been playing three different games all called Worldle, thanks to them all coming up in an internet search, and me not getting the 'right' one until the third attempt.

Those islands threw me too. I think I got there in 4 though, fortunately.

On the plus side, trying to triangulate my way towards the country meant I used one particular wrong guess that I then recalled minutes later, when it went past midnight and I could try again. I randomly tried inputting it as my first guess for Saturday in one of the other Worldles (https://worldle-app.com/), which has no outlines and therefore you have no recourse other than triangulation – and by an incredible freak stroke of luck, it landed just 171km away from the target, which was a directly neighbouring country!

The third Worldle I'm playing is different again: https://worldledaily.com/
                                    It starts you off by showing you a picture from Google Streetview, and you then have to click on the world map to try to pinpoint where you are. If you're wrong, it shows a circle on the map for you in which the target will be somewhere. If you fail again it reduces the size of the circle, and so forth. I got Friday's in one, as it was somewhere I know and indeed I've actually been. Saturday's, I didn't even start on the right continent.
                                    Thanks for the final one of those VA. Years ago there was a thread on here about a similar game which I’ve subsequently lost. I will save this link. I must admit I “cheat” in that I walk up and down the road, reading signs etc. but that’s the way I enjoy it. On number 1/6 I was within 196m on my final attempt but that was technically a fail!

Comment

Yes, I remember that too.

Not sure if this an update or a different site.

I have also been to the current location in, but as it was almost 40 years ago, I think 2 tries for getting within 500 metres ain't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Yes, I remember that too.

Not sure if this an update or a different site.

I have also been to the current location in, but as it was almost 40 years ago, I think 2 tries for getting within 500 metres ain't bad.
                                        The old one allowed for multiple different locations on the same day.

Also, where in the world haven’t you visited? I’m going out on a limb with Western Sahara and Mongolia.

Comment

I've never noticed before that today's answer looks like Batman, albeit a somewhat old and run down version.

Comment

I'm liking Tradle there's more to be deductive about.

Comment

Hey, that is an interesting variant! Got today's in two attempts, for what it's worth.

Comment

I liked it. And will brag that I got today's on the first attempt!

Comment

Three for me. Nice game.

Comment

It took me three attempts to get today's. I'm still a bit surprised, oil and cars.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X