• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worldle

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

Thanks to Femme Folle who introduced me to it

2 today

I got a 1 yesterday and a 3 today, having considered what turned out to be the correct answer right at the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      I got a 1 yesterday and a 3 today, having considered what turned out to be the correct answer right at the start.
      Yes I made what turned out to be an accurate guess of where in the world it must be, and then got the wrong one of the 2 or 3 possibilities first time out

Comment

I had three main ones in mind, and went for the one that was basically on the other side of the world from the other two. And whose shape, now that I look it up, I'd completely misremembered anyway.

Comment

I’ve been enjoying it but finding it a little too easy. I now see that I can make it harder by either hiding the image and just using the distance/direction arrows or by rotating the image. I might try that tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            I’ve been enjoying it but finding it a little too easy. I now see that I can make it harder by either hiding the image and just using the distance/direction arrows or by rotating the image. I might try that tomorrow.
            Globle offers a rather stiffer geographical challenge.

Comment

BUST on #243

Edit: re-reads thread title.
              Last edited by Sits; 13-03-2022, 09:11.

Comment

That wasn't today's then?

Comment

Just tried this. Got a spectacularly easy 1. Feel I should quit while I'm ahead now...

Comment

I've tried this four times now. One day there was indeed an instantly recognizable country, but for the other three I did need multiple guesses.

I quite like how this can become locally challenging at some point. A few days ago, the correct country was Liberia. Wouldn't recognize that country's shape, but it did look a bit like a coastline to the south west. One of my guesses was Burkina Faso (I know it's landlocked, but I was still in the "ballpark guess to find out if I'm on the right continent" part of the game), which gave me a relatively small distance and the south west direction. So now I have to try to remember which countries are exactly where in West Africa. That was a good exercise.

They must have seeded the eligible country list to ensure that no directional weirdness can occur. Image that the country is Italy, and you guess San Marino. What direction should be shown? What is the correct emoji for "all around you"? Same kind of situation with Senegal and the Gambia. Though maybe they just use the capital as a proxy.

Comment

I think they do use the capital. I'm pretty sure the distance they offer you is capital to capital

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

Globle offers a rather stiffer geographical challenge.
                        Ooh, very good. Just got it in three! And today's Worldle in five.

Comment

This is making me realize that I have little idea of the shape of most countries (yesterday's being an obvious exception). I also appear to be fairly poor at judging distances. All in all, I'm not great at this.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            I think they do use the capital. I'm pretty sure the distance they offer you is capital to capital
                            I looked at the 'help' bit while briefly playing the game yesterday, and it states that the distances are given from the geographical centre of the countries – thus Canada and the US, for instance, are listed as 2000-odd miles distant from each other even though they obviously share a land border.

I'm presuming, therefore, that the directional arrows also follow the same metric.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              I looked at the 'help' bit while briefly playing the game yesterday, and it states that the distances are given from the geographical centre of the countries – thus Canada and the US, for instance, are listed as 2000-odd miles distant from each other even though they obviously share a land border.

I'm presuming, therefore, that the directional arrows also follow the same metric.
                              This is a recipe for disaster, considering overseas territories.

Comment

That's a good point, considering French overseas territories say count as departments of France. So taking that into account could reroute the geographical centre of the country to somewhere around, oh, Sri Lanka.

Comment

I had to do a lot of googling today

Comment

I'd been assuming googling was cheating. I didn't get it (obviously), but got three territories in the vague area (all a mere few thousand kilometres east or west), and recognised the name when it came up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                      I'd been assuming googling was cheating. I didn't get it (obviously), but got three territories in the vague area (all a mere few thousand kilometres east or west), and recognised the name when it came up.
                                      I think it is. But once I knew roughly where it was, I knew that I had no idea of what the answer was, so in order to finish I needed to look it up. I certainly don't feel like I succeeded.

Comment

A measure of how obscure it is, is that my first step after admitting defeat to myself was to try and locate it on Google maps. It's so small that it's difficult to find in that way. When I finally did locate it there is actually no name given. (if you type the actual name into Google maps it does take you there, but there's no actual text on the map to tell you what you're looking at. In the end I went to Wikipedia to locate it)

Comment

I got thrown by the inclusion of territories, rather than only sovereign states. And yesterday I felt especially foolish: I struck out, whereas my wife got it in two. When the first answer directed her to the islands, she remembered her cousin lives at the answer.

Comment

I'd never heard of today's answer before now. I had to put in a couple of random countries just to establish where to look on Google Maps.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              A measure of how obscure it is, is that my first step after admitting defeat to myself was to try and locate it on Google maps. It's so small that it's difficult to find in that way. When I finally did locate it there is actually no name given. (if you type the actual name into Google maps it does take you there, but there's no actual text on the map to tell you what you're looking at. In the end I went to Wikipedia to locate it)
                                              If you right click on the image of the island on Google maps it offers some additional info including the option "what's here?". When you click that it then tells you.

Comment

Nicely illustrated tweet on approaches to solving Wordles:
                                                (2) Elizabeth S on Twitter: "Wordle games like today's make me realise there are two types of players: 1. ⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ ⬜ 2. ⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜ ⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜ #dailywordleclub #Wordle265 Wordle 265 X" / Twitter

Edit: and I guess that there are two types of OTF posters - those with the IT skills to embed a tweet, and those (like me) who will probably never learn.

Comment

And also those who can see the extra L that spells Worldle and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X