Nerdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerdle

Sorry if this, a kind of maths wordle, has already been mentioned on here (I can’t be bothered to check back through 20 plus pages of the Wordle thread) but it’s too brilliant not to share. My attention was drawn to it by a link which a fellow OTFer posted on FB.

Many times more intellectually rewarding than the word guessing game for me at least.

www.nerdlegame.com

Yep, I've been drawn into it as well, thanks to a brief mention on the Wordle thread, but I think this deserves its own.

Have you seen mini-Nerdle too? Same link, but hidden in the settings cog. It's fairly easy, but a nice warm up before the full size version.

Comment

Well, I completed today's in 5, but I think it is a bit far outside my comfort zone.

Comment

I like it a lot also, but for me a similar level of satisfaction to the word one. This one seems more "logical" to me. One slightly irritating aspect is how it treats commutativity - it requires, say, 24+35=59, and won't accept 35+24=59 as correct.

Comment

Managed it in 4, but fried my brains in the process. Tougher than Wordle.

Comment

Gave it a go and did today's in 3 (woohoo) but it's definitely a bit too intense for bedtime.

Comment

I tried this yesterday to discover that my new workplace blocks it. As my new workplace is a university this seems odd. Of all the things that may be inappropriate at a university, this doesn't seem high up the list.

Anyway, did it from the apartment this morning in 4. It was enjoyable but I think I might do it later in the day after I've at least had a coffee, in the future

Comment

my new workplace blocks it.
                Is that just another temporary assignment/bit of contract work on location or have you taken a permanent job?

Anyway, the blocking thing - yes, I just discovered that my work laptop blocks Nerdle (while not blocking Wordle), which is a little odd. I don't know anything about how websites are categorised for the convenience of those who wish to block access, but presumably Nerdle is given a more "game-ish" category. All it means for me in practice is that, instead of accessing it on my employer-provided laptop, I access it on my employer-provided mobile phone.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                  I like it a lot also, but for me a similar level of satisfaction to the word one. This one seems more "logical" to me. One slightly irritating aspect is how it treats commutativity - it requires, say, 24+35=59, and won't accept 35+24=59 as correct.
                  Apparently it does allow commutativity. I managed today's in 2 goes thanks to that allowance. I'll post the screenshot in the Wordle spoiler thread so as not to spoil today's games for anyone.

Comment

New feature apparently. You can disable it in the settings, if you so wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Is that just another temporary assignment/bit of contract work on location or have you taken a permanent job?
                      Somewhere about halfway between the two. I've taken a full time position for the next 7 months (renewable)

Comment

Good luck with it!

Comment

Just got it at the last attempt - didn't release until then that two functions were permitted in a sum.

Comment

I got it in 4 today.

Comment

Fluked my way to a 3 today!

Comment

3 - like EEG, I also find it more satisfying than Wordle once you get into the appropriate mindset.

Comment

2 today. First eagle, based on the answer being very close to my standard start.

Comment

I always start out with three two-figure numbers.

Comment

So do I, and I make each digit different in those numbers. Don't know if that approach is a good one or not.

Comment

I think it's a good starting point if only to narrow down some numbers, however after today's I might try a different approach to see if reducing the symbols down makes it easier to get to the solution.

Comment

Should have stuck with the old formula. I did get the first symbol correct and in the right place, mind. There were a lot of possible permutations to narrow down though, and I eventually got it in 4

Comment

My regular starting line uses two operations and five different digits, and more often than not I'm getting there in three lines.

Comment

I tried that today and got it in 3. Using the 6 digit and one operator approach was getting me there in 4 twice as often as 3.

Comment

Missed yesterday. Got it in three today.

Comment

Not a fan of today's nerdle. Highlight the below for a probable spoiler:

The final part of the equation seemed a bit of a cop-out, as it failed to affect the rest of the equation.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X