Wordle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

If you start with the same words, you will end with the same word.

Absurdle takes your input, and then loops over all possible feedbacks (combinations of green, yellow, and grey squares in your word) it can give you. For each feedback, it looks up in its dictionary how many words are still possible. It will choose the feedback for which the size of this word set is largest.
    Have also seen on Twitter someone pointing out that this isn't always the best way to maximise the number of guesses the player has to make:

It's possible for an adversarial algorithm to do better than choosing the class with the most members. There may be a class with fewer members but that requires more guesses to solve through. For example after SPOILER, SPOILER, it chooses the class with 11 entries, which is soluble in 2 more moves. There is an alternative class with 8 entries that isn't soluble in 2 moves.

Said people are using phrases like "Absurdle is a greedy algorithm but not an optimal one."
    Last edited by Kevin S; 13-01-2022, 14:15.

Comment

Yep, it's greedy indeed. We should probably Monte-Carlo Tree Search this one to get an optimal adversarial solution, but that is substantially harder to program and probably won't add much in terms of playing experience.

Comment

4 on wordle for me today, but it took me forever to come up with a word that fit the letters I had left. Definitely the longest in terms of time so far.
        I had exactly the same experience with today's. As did Fields Medal-winner Professor Sir Tim Gowers, who tweeted that he thought that his results from lines 1 to 3 probably left only one remaining possible word, which I thought was the case for me too.

Comment

And my first 3 on Wordle.
          There's an obvious comment I could make to Kevin, but it would be something of a spoiler.

Comment

A failure today on Wordle. I blame it on playing too much Absurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              A failure today on Wordle. I blame it on playing too much Absurdle.
              I failed too but without that excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

There's an obvious comment I could make to Kevin, but it would be something of a spoiler.
                It's quite late in the day now - what did you want to say?

Comment

In terms of time taken, sometimes one guess can take ages - usually the second one, as was the case on 208.

Comment

Balls.

Comment

It's quite late in the day now - what did you want to say?
                      As an East Anglian football fan, the stadium name might have occurred to you.

Comment

Back to form for me, got it in 4. If my 11 turns so far I've had 7×4 and then a 3, a 5, a 6 and a fall.

Comment

In 2!

Two yellows to start on one of my "standard" opening gambits, and then a bit of inspiration for the next
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

6 again today, relegation form.

Comment

I'm the Haseeb Hameed of Wordle

Comment

3 today, but that was after a good 5 minutes of sitting here absolutely clueless after 2 attempts.

Comment

Five. Seems to be the standard this week.

(Not sure why they don't want to include my 'two' from last week in the stats column.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    Five. Seems to be the standard this week.

(Not sure why they don't want to include my 'two' from last week in the stats column.)
                                    Did you do that on a different device/browser?

It's kept all my stats except for the one I did on my laptop rather than my phone.

(3 today)

Comment

That'll be it. It was Saturday, so, yes, I'd have been on the iPad, as opposed to this laptop.

Comment

A four again today - 3 * 3, 4 * 4, 1 * 5, 3 * 6 and one fail to date.

Comment

Tricky for me today, had three of the letters in the correct place after 3 guesses but still took the final 3 to get it. (Highlight the line below to see what I did, don't it you want to avoid spoilers)

[SPOILER] TATTY, TACKY, TALLY and then finally, TANGY[/SPOILER]

So my current scores are 1 x 2 guesses, 2 x 3, 3 x 4, 4 x 5, 1 x 6 and no failures so far.
                                          Last edited by Tratorello; 14-01-2022, 12:26.

Comment

Did it in five today, could have been 4 with a luckier guess. If it wasn't the fifth go then I only had a swear left.

Comment

4 today, and beat L by one, so that'll get me through the day.

Comment

My first very lucky 2 today.

Comment

210 : 5/6

Not a brilliant effort but at least I got over the line today.

Comment

punching the air in bed as I get it in three today. a few yellows to start with and just got a bit lucky

Comment

Working...
                                                    X