No announcement yet.

Wordle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absurdle - got 8 on my first go. Presumably it behaves in the same way each time so you're looking for ways to get your number down from before?
    Last edited by Kevin S; 12-01-2022, 21:30.

Comment

Arg, it's a bastard alright. Both times now I've got the final four letters and then it's basically laughed at me as I've had to cycle through the starting letters.

Comment

I feel it just adds a bit more thought to the critical path of a first word. I am uncertain whether a common-letter approach is better than one that most effectively reduces the pool of possible words.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
          6 - had got letters 2, 4, and 5 in order by go 3, but that still left multiple possibilities.
          Same...

Comment

Absurdle is very good at showing me how verbally dim-witted I am. I get convinced that if a word is possible at all with the remaining letters, it must be some ridiculously obscure word, only to realise after a few more goes than I should have needed that actually it's not that obscure after all.

Comment

6 on wordle today, as I mentally eliminated the correct answer early due to it being on a UK site (hopefully spoiler warnings at this point of the day are unnecessary), then got backed into it again as I couldn't think of any more words that would fit the letters that I had. Anyway, my worst effort so far. I wonder if, say, "odour" is one of the possible answers.

Comment

6 on absurdle also, coincidentally

Comment

Got my PB down to 5 on Absurdle too now. W00t

Comment

Found another way to 5. I assume it doesn't give much away to say that the winning words in those two cases were MACAW and PIZZA?

Comment

I have a feeling that 4 may be impossible, thinking about best case scenarios after three guesses.

Comment

I wuz wrong:
                        (Spoiler for Absurdle):
                        https://twitter.com/zwegner/status/1...1wGu1i51w&s=19

Comment

And my first 3 on Wordle.

Comment

A scrambled sweaty 6 on Wordle - that was as near to me giving up as its come.

Comment

5 on Wordle - not sure how though

Comment

4 on Wordle today.

Not sure I understand Absurdle. I have done it in 5 a couple of times and keep ending up with the same word.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                  Not sure I understand Absurdle. I have done it in 5 a couple of times and keep ending up with the same word.
                                  If you start with the same words, you will end with the same word.

Absurdle takes your input, and then loops over all possible feedbacks (combinations of green, yellow, and grey squares in your word) it can give you. For each feedback, it looks up in its dictionary how many words are still possible. It will choose the feedback for which the size of this word set is largest.

Comment

I'm not starting with the same words, but I'm trying to eliminate vowels in the first couple of attempts. Once I'm down to one possible vowel, it then seems straightforward to guide Absurdle towards the same word in just a couple more attempts.

Edit: If that word is still available, obviously - it doesn't happen every time, but often enough.
                                    Last edited by Hot Orange; 13-01-2022, 09:51.

Comment

Managed to get down to 5 in Absurdle.

Wordle today was 4 as per usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                        I'm not starting with the same words, but I'm trying to eliminate vowels in the first couple of attempts. Once I'm down to one possible vowel, it then seems straightforward to guide Absurdle towards the same word in just a couple more attempts.

Edit: If that word is still available, obviously - it doesn't happen every time, but often enough.
                                        Well, I guess that tells us something about the sparsity of the distribution of English language words around that specific word. Not sure what exactly it tells us...

Comment

My first Wordle 5 today.

Comment

Five again today.

Here's the link bumped once more:

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

Comment

6 today. Total brain fart. I blame the booster shot.

Comment

I got "Fella" in absurdle. Which I'm not happy about.

Comment

Unless you steer an Egyptian boat, of course.

Comment

4 on wordle for me today, but it took me forever to come up with a word that fit the letters I had left. Definitely the longest in terms of time so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X