Wordle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
    Pleasing feature in today's solution, although Guy Profumo and other strict pedants may disagree...
    It was more unexpected than displeasing.

Comment

4 today. That seems to be my standard.

Comment

I was disgusted and probably won't play again.

Comment

"Pleasing feature", DG? I assume that was intended as a wind-up. Still, the puzzle is available on a "take it or leave it" basis, and I'll keep taking it. We've all been warned now.

Comment

It's a word. It's in the dictionary. It;s not the version of the word I would choose to use, but there's no argument that it's not an actual word is there?

Comment

I was a little bit cross about the kerfuffle meaning the internet was covered in spoilers. Apart from that, I was quite amused about people being cross.
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 12-01-2022, 13:05.

Comment

Of course there isn't [Edit; any such argument, I mean, in reply to ad hoc]

Comment

I was quite amused about people being cross
                  Yes, there's no cause for actual crossness of course, it's just the way things are, given who the setter is and so on. It's all just a fun game. It was just a jarring moment for many of us (including a few on here) and I reckon DG's "pleasing" has to be a wind-up. It just felt a bit "wrong". I would put that better but I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

Comment

Cryptic clue rather than wind-up, I thought.

Comment

I missed the jarring personally, as I had seen chatter about the jarring and so was not only not jarred but actually got it in two.

Comment

Thanks Rogin. Exhibit no.94 in "why I hate crosswords".

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          So can someone parse it?

Comment

6 - had got letters 2, 4, and 5 in order by go 3, but that still left multiple possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                              I was a little bit cross about the kerfuffle meaning the internet was covered in spoilers. Apart from that, I was quite amused about people being cross.
                              Agree.

Comment

Actually, were people "cross"? Or were they "pissed"?

Comment

On the basis that anyone who doesn't want their Wordle of the day spoiled knows not to look:

(19) Luke Christensen on Twitter: "Wordle 207 6/6 ⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜ ⬜ " / Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                    I am enjoying absurdle, which basically starts with any word and based on your guesses eliminates possible words from the wordle set until only one is possible or various letter sets become fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                      "Pleasing feature", DG? I assume that was intended as a wind-up. Still, the puzzle is available on a "take it or leave it" basis, and I'll keep taking it. We've all been warned now.
                                      I genuinely like it while realising that you don't (and assuming that you aren't really wound up)

Comment

and assuming that you aren't really wound up
                                        Assuming correctly, of course!

Comment

That "absurdle" game is really good!

Comment

Yeah, it's great.

Comment

I enjoyed Absurdle. I feel like 8 guesses is pretty good (it's probably not).

Comment

You can narrow it down to, say, only using one less usual vowel and then it'll usually be something ending with Y. Great fun.

Comment

Even when you guess none correct in Absurdle, 5 is my PB to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                                    Even when you guess none correct in Absurdle, 5 is my PB to date.
                                                    5 is my PB too, and guessing correct early in the game may not be ideal. This adversarial challenge is great.

Here be spoilers: Show
                                                    I started with DOILY, which gives you nothing, following with TAUPE, when you get the A in the wrong spot (and all other vowels are now gone). I tried WRACK as third word, which gave me ACK in green. I though that that was pretty neat, but then I found out that it wasn't. This game doesn't allow you to put in guesses where you do not use the letters you've already guessed correctly, and far too many options are still open at this point (SHACK, SMACK, SNACK, ABACK, KNACK, off the top of my head). I couldn't find a way to beat the adversarial game in fewer than six words by this route.

So on to my second approach, starting again with DOILY and TAUPE, but putting SNACK as third choice. This gives the A in the right spot and the S in the wrong one. Fourth guess was BRASH, which gives both the A and the S in the right spot. And then for the fifth guess, AMASS is the only option.
                                                    Last edited by Wouter D; 12-01-2022, 21:52.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X