Drive That Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive That Fast

A thread for observations and recommendations on driving games.

I'm a big fan of the Truck Simulator games (Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck Sim), but they have convinced me that driving is incredibly difficult, especially for big lorries. Taking sharp corners is really difficult when you have a long trailer you can't actually see, and I regularly grind to a halt with my trailer stuck on a fence or kerb, or bash a car I can't see and cop a fine. On occasion I've actually managed to overturn the bloody thing. I don't understand how real lorry drivers manage it and I have developed a healthy respect for their skills.

Look, driving is easy. Just press X, and if you want to slow down (although why would you want to do that?) there's normally a handy wall or some pedestrians to help you out.

There's probably a reason I'm not allowed to drive in real life. Fucking do-gooders.

Last driving game I tried was Nascar Heat 4 (which was the fourth version of Nascar Heat, and not, as I had thought, an admirably obscure qualifying round for Nascar). Basically you had to turn left a lot.

Comment

Forza Horizon 4 (I've not played 5) is a lot of fun if you like hooning around vaguely recognisable British countryside in a variety of preposterous cars. The Lego Speed Champions expansion is hilarious.

EDIT: It's also free on Game Pass currently.
      Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 07-01-2021, 14:10.

Comment

I don't really have any problems cornering in ETS2/ATS, unless I've turned off the speed limiter and am going well over 100kph, but parking is a bastard, especially with the more complicated trailers. They could totally sell a game which is just parking challenges.

Comment

I'm getting better, but those double trailers are still gits. But I took a truck load of fireworks from Ogden, Utah to Roswell, New Mexico without blowing up. I just want a Wages Of Fear mod for one of these games.

GY - try tearing round Corsica, my lorry fell over twice there.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
            Forza Horizon 4 (I've not played 5) is a lot of fun if you like hooning around vaguely recognisable British countryside in a variety of preposterous cars. The Lego Speed Champions expansion is hilarious.

EDIT: It's also free on Game Pass currently.
            This was in the Steam sale, so I bought it. It's really, really fun and the changing seasons are delightful.

Comment

The double trailers are gits. That is exactly why they shouldn't be on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                This was in the Steam sale, so I bought it. It's really, really fun and the changing seasons are delightful.
                I've had half an eye on the game for a while now, have watched a bunch of YouTube videos etc. and it's one I'd really like to try – even though I never do any PC gaming and have never so much as visited Steam. Or, at least, hadn't – until just now after reading your post. For £18 for the regular edition up to £29 for the Ultimate Edition, it does seem like a bit of a snip right now.

Main problem is it's very hard to be sure, even from several minutes' googling, whether the mere 2010 iMac and/or MacBook Pro I have would be able to run it. It looks like I have enough RAM (8GB on the laptop at least, can't remember the iMac's offhand) but I can't work out whether my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 288 MB) can even begin to handle it.

Comment

I can't help you there, I'm afraid. A Mac gaming forum would probably be your best bet.

Comment

Cheers DM, I wasn't expecting hard answers or anything, I was more musing out loud than anything. I've not nailed down definitive answers from my searching as yet, but will maybe look again later when I get a bit more time.

That familiar countryside and those changing seasons just look magic, though.

Comment

The countryside is great, it's a scrunched up representation of mainly northern England and Scotland, with a tiny bit of Cotswolds at the bottom of the map. Edinburgh is in it. It's on sale till 5th Jan, so hope you can find answers by then.

Comment

Silly question perhaps, what are you using to actually 'drive' with? Is it perfectly playable with a keyboard, or does one need to have a steering wheel peripheral to really control your vehicles?

Comment

I use an XBox controller, which is absolutely fine. Controls are more simple than Euro Truck Simulator, so I reckon keyboard+mouse would be perfectly viable. It's proper arcadey fun, like the original Gran Turismo in an open world. You don't even have to change gears, it's accelerate and brake.

Comment

I'd never even heard of Euro Truck Simulator until I read this thread yesterday morning. I then lost about 2 hours of my day watching videos of it on Youtube which were surprisingly soothing and enjoyable. I then installed Steam and the game itself, which I subsequently played into the early hours. Its magnificent, although I am finding it a lot more stressful than I thought I would.

Comment

Yeah, trying to get a better look at the views while driving can lead to... consequences. NOT the case in FH4, where you can drive your car off a mountain and the game will tell you "Awesome Air!" before respawning you safe and sound.

Comment

I'm glad more people are enjoying FH4. It's such good, escapist fun.

Comment

In case you are wondering, if you are enjoying FH4, then it isn't really worth going to FH5, which is more of the same but prettier and faster loading (on Series X).

I've rinsed all the FH games, there isn't anything new in this. The progression system is the same as in the Lego expansion for FH4, except game-wide. Rather than the wet / snow seasons of 4, there is the dusty, foggy seasons. The swamps are wetter, the hills are higher.

Having said that, if you haven't played a Forza Horizon game before then this is more of the same excellent formula.

Comment

I got FH4 with the XBox one x. It's OK, but I'm not very subtle when it comes to driving games with a joypad so I got to the end of its useful journey pretty quickly.
                                    I'd have to buy a wheel to really get the best from it, but I can't justify the expense.

Comment

You really don’t need a wheel. It’s a very arcade game.

The best thing is to find tunes for the car
                                      you want.

Comment

After getting a new (more gaming compatible) laptop over the New Year, and looking at the recommendations on here (particularly VA's mention of the price), I have now sunk a lot of time into playing FH4. It is a cracking game, so thanks OTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          You really don’t need a wheel. It’s a very arcade game.

The best thing is to find tunes for the car
                                          you want.
                                          Oh the failing is very much mine, not the game's.
                                          I am unable to do anything by half measure on a joypad. So steering nicely and actually using brakes is beyond me. I've always been the same.

Comment

Could have put this on LOLs nicked... but thought I'd just share it with the driving gamers:

Comment

Working...
                                            X