Asia City Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I you have definitely heard of unless you've been living under a rock

W you've all heard of even if you were living under a rock (though the W itself may actually be a distraction)

Z you probably haven't heard of. I know I hadn't. Though it does have a population of 600,000+

Comment

Idlib for I

Comment

Yes, Idlib. Photos supplied are from a few years back. The more recent ones are horribly depressing and sad

Comment

Oh, and W is West Jerusalem

I thought Z might be Zahle in Lebanon, but it is three times bigger than that

Comment

Z is Zarqa (Jordan), I think.

Comment

Yes, we're there. Good work on Zarqa. As it's only about 25km from Amman, I am assuming it's the Jordanian version of L'Hospitalet

Comment

Interesting history

Although inhabited since the 1st century, the city of Zarqa was established by immigrants from the Caspian Sea region at the beginning of the 20th century.[disputeddiscuss] The first settlement in the city was established in 1902 by Chechenimmigrants who were displaced from the wars between the Ottoman and Russian Empires.[citation needed] They settled along the Zarqa River. At that time a station on the Hejaz Railway was built in the new settlement. The railway station turned Zarqa into an important hub. On 10 April 1905, the Ottoman governor issued a decree that allowed the Chechen immigrants to own lands which they settled on. The population then quickly grew in size. On 18 November 1928, the new Jordanian government issued a decree to establish the first municipal council for Zarqa.

After the Transjordan Frontier Force was formed in 1926, military bases were constructed in the city by the British Armyand the city later became known as the "military city".[4]The headquarters of Jordan's Arab Legion was in Zarqa.

Comment

A "South America and the Caribbean" one of these would definitely need to effectively ignore minimum population size, unless it went back to "cities over .... or capital cities regardless of size". I've been to three or four capitals with populations smaller than 15,000 people.

Comment

Not in South America, you haven't. The least populous capital on this continent is Cayenne, which has about 60,000 people. Unless we include Stanley (c. 3,000), of course. But on the mainland, and talking proper national capitals (i.e. not Cayenne), it's Georgetown's 200,000+, then Paramaribo at about 250,000, then all the others are a lot bigger.

You could of course do a bit of a trick South American capitals one which includes more cities than there are countries in South America.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Not in South America, you haven't. The least populous capital on this continent is Cayenne, which has about 60,000 people. Unless we include Stanley (c. 3,000), of course. But on the mainland, and talking proper national capitals (i.e. not Cayenne), it's Georgetown's 200,000+, then Paramaribo at about 250,000, then all the others are a lot bigger.

You could of course do a bit of a trick South American capitals one which includes more cities than there are countries in South America.
                      " ... and the Caribbean". I was thinking you'd need to include a dozen or so of them to have a chance of getting up to 22 or more different country/city combinations.
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-06-2020, 06:46.

Comment

Right, but my point was there's no need for 'South America and' in that case, is there?

(An Americas one would seem the most obvious alternative to me, anyway. Gets you to near as dammit the same total area covered as Asia.)

Comment

The problem with doing this for the Americas is not related to area it's that there are a total of 35 countries many of which are very small. The chances of being able to find the requisite number of cities is the issue. (Europe has 44 countries and most have a fair number of cities over 200,000, and Asia has 48 countries, and again a fair number of them have a lot of cities in)

Africa might work as it has 54 countries, so i may have a go at that soon.

Comment

There are no "current plans" to do one for Australasia / Oceania, but nothing is ruled in or out, a spokesperson said.

Who likes a challenge?

Comment

I think Oceania would have to be islands rather than cities. But then it could quickly get pretty obscure. Ulithi, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                The problem with doing this for the Americas is not related to area it's that there are a total of 35 countries many of which are very small. The chances of being able to find the requisite number of cities is the issue. (Europe has 44 countries and most have a fair number of cities over 200,000, and Asia has 48 countries, and again a fair number of them have a lot of cities in)

Africa might work as it has 54 countries, so i may have a go at that soon.
                                Yeah, the population density outside Eurasia is the killer. You could always do away with the maximum-of-one-city-per-country rule (a rule I didn't realise was in force when I made my guesses last night, for what it's worth).

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  There are no "current plans" to do one for Australasia / Oceania, but nothing is ruled in or out, a spokesperson said.

Who likes a challenge?
                                  I was looking into that last night, but it's very tricky.

Comment

Working...
                                  X