The third and last euro city quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The third and last euro city quiz

Really running short of options on too many letters to manage another of these, so this will be the last one (though I may try doing an Asia one if I can firm up the rules for dealing with local names and local languages)

Roughly as before, but note one important addition.

A quiz about cities in European countries starting with different letters of the alphabet.

So, there are 23 cities pictured below, each starting with a different letter - there is no J,Q, or X. No country is represented more than once. Each city had a population of 200,000 or more in 2013 (according to the UN) OR it is the capital of its country (or both, obviously).

It will be a miracle if I get through it without at least one error, but I think it is correct. There are 3 or 4 answers which could raise the ire of pedantic pub quizzers, and one in particular, but I think I can make (a weak) argument even for that one.

Antwerpen
    Beograd
    Constanța
    Derby
    Edinburgh
    Frankfurt am Main
    Graz
    Den Haag
    Izmir
    Kosica
    Ljubljana
    Mogilev
    Napoli
    Oslo
    Podgorica
    Reykjavik
    San Marina (Citt? di)
    Tallinn
    Ulyanovsk
    Vaduz
    Warsaw
    Yerevan
    Zaragoza
    Last edited by ad hoc; 28-05-2020, 18:15.

A-F

Comment

G-M

Comment

N-T

Comment

U-Z

Comment

Vaduz?

Comment

Ooh, I have one at last. Two in fact.

E is Edinburgh and G is Graz. I think.

Comment

Yerevan and Rekjavik?

Comment

Izmir?

Comment

Right, I'm going for my speciality of answering the Zs with Zaragoza...

Comment

Can I just check if you are counting Scotland and England as different countries? ;-)

Comment

Amsterdam

Shit, no, what am I doing? This is Antwerpen. Het Havenhuis. Crazy architecture.
                        Last edited by Wouter D; 27-05-2020, 13:12.

Comment

Yes to everything so far. Yerevan is my very dodgy one, since I can't really argue that it;s European or in a European country, despite UEFA membership, Eurovision, a certain "cultural Europeannenss" etc. Izmir gets in under the same "city in European country" rule as last time out.

Comment

Guessing wildly... Edinburgh, Izmir, Ufa (plucked that from nowhere, and may not technically be in Europe), Zagreb?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Yes to everything so far. Yerevan is my very dodgy one, since I can't really argue that it;s European or in a European country, despite UEFA membership, Eurovision, a certain "cultural Europeannenss" etc. Izmir gets in under the same "city in European country" rule as last time out.
                              Surprised at this- I thought Armenia and Georgia if not Azerbaijan were considered part of Europe/ Christendom as far back as the First Millennium?

Comment

H is 's-Gravenhage, a.k.a. Den Haag, a.k.a. The Hague. The Zurichtoren is most recognizable, with de Hofvijver in the background. I wonder from which skyscraper they took that picture.

My father's half of the family is from a suburb of Den Haag.

Comment

I think geographically Armenia is in Asia. Politically and linguistically they're fairly European (I think they're in the Council of Europe, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                    H is 's-Gravenhage, a.k.a. Den Haag, a.k.a. The Hague. The Zurichtoren is most recognizable, with de Hofvijver in the background. I wonder from which skyscraper they took that picture.

Yes, that's my second most dodgy one since it;s not really Haag/Hague, but starts with D, T, or 's

Comment

Yes, though they play it both ways, being, for example, also a member of the Asian Development Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

sung at De Kuip during our visit earlier this season

This could be Rotterdam, or 's-Gravenhage
                                        Zoetermeer, Dordrecht
                                        Everywhere the GAWA go
                                        Half the fans get wrecht

Comment

And could C be Cadiz?

Comment

T is definitely Tallinn. I've taken that same picture.
                                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-05-2020, 15:48.

Comment

Love these quizzes, even though I haven't got close to answering any of the questions.

Comment

And I think C might be Constanta. Trying to think of places with Muslim and Christian side by side on the coast, now Turkey's gone.
                                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-05-2020, 15:47.

Comment

L is Ljubljana, pretty sure that's the Dragon bridge

Comment

Working...
                                                  X