X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tirana?

I’ll just keep throwing Ts at the wall.

Comment

Purely guessing on which countries are left and cities beginning with the remaining letters ... Iasi?

Comment

Tirana is correct!

Iasi I used in the previous quiz. No repeats here.

Comment

H is the one that wouldn't have obeyed the rules of the previous quiz (it's debatable whether it obeys the rules of this one, but to my mind it does)

Comment

I got one!

Comment

Found one ! Grodno in Belarus

Comment

And another! Ivano-Frankivsk in Ukraine

Comment

Haifa?

Edit: I mean, the river seems all wrong for this guess, but I'm running out of better ideas.
                  Last edited by Wouter D; 22-05-2020, 13:23.

Comment

Not Haifa.

Yes to Grodno and Ivano-Frankivsk

Comment

In the first picture of H that I posted there is a building in the lower right corner which might give you a clue as to the country

Comment

One more picture with some more revealing features (including the sea)

Comment

Just woke up and this is my challenge.

By the sea. With a river.

H. But not necessarily in English, just in native language.

Not Ireland, UK, France, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Ukraine, Russia.

If I'm looking right, domes and possible minarets leaves Romania, Turkey, Cyprus (not enough cities, though), Croatia, Montenegro (but not enough cities again).

Comment

You know what? I've fucked this up. The list I;ve been working from has led me astray

Comment

Ok, so time for my shamefaced admission. I have been working from a UN list of cities in the world - this one https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demograp...13/Table08.pdf
                              On that list there is listed a city in Turkey called Hatay. (I have never been but I've heard of Hatay, down on the coast on a panhandle stretching down to the Syrian coast). However, Hatay is not a city but a province (well it appears on that list, but the only thing I can imagine is the city which they mean is actually Antakya (Antioch as was)). (Antakya is not on that list but the other city of note in the province, Iskenderun, is).

The first two pictures I posted were of Antakya, the third Iskenderun.

So, bollocks. Many apologies.

Comment

I'd come to the conclusion that it must have been Turkey, and assumed there'd be some Thracian suburb of Istanbul (what with this being a Europe quiz - winky thing).

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  I'd come to the conclusion that it must have been Turkey, and assumed there'd be some Thracian suburb of Istanbul (what with this being a Europe quiz - winky thing).
                                  Yes, hence my subtle changing of the rules this time from "European Cities" to "Cities in European Countries"

Comment

Doh! That'll teach me to skim read the rules.

At least today I've learned where Antioch is.

Comment

I wasn't really sure about Ufa either, but further research has suggested that it is (just) in Europe

Comment

The name of the football team who play in Antakya is Hatayspor, just to confuse things.

It was an amazing city when we visited nearly 10 years ago, you can clearly see where the different religions coexisted but it had become very much a Muslim city. It didn't feel very Turkish at all, much more of a middle Eastern city, we crossed to Aleppo from there and it wasn't so different. The food was definitely much more middle Eastern with hummus prevalent in a way it's not in Turkey.

We also ate the best ever kunefe there in a little square under sycamore trees.

I'm sure it's changed beyond recognition due to the existence of so many refugees.

Comment

Thanks for doing another edition of the quiz, ad hoc. These are fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                            Thanks for doing another edition of the quiz, ad hoc. These are fun.
                                            This, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Ok, so time for my shamefaced admission. I have been working from a UN list of cities in the world - this one https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demograp...13/Table08.pdf
                                              On that list there is listed a city in Turkey called Hatay. (I have never been but I've heard of Hatay, down on the coast on a panhandle stretching down to the Syrian coast). However, Hatay is not a city but a province (well it appears on that list, but the only thing I can imagine is the city which they mean is actually Antakya (Antioch as was)). (Antakya is not on that list but the other city of note in the province, Iskenderun, is).

The first two pictures I posted were of Antakya, the third Iskenderun.

So, bollocks. Many apologies.
                                              I can understand why you're quest for the holy grail was unsuccessful

Comment

Working...
                                              X