Project Restart: Predict How Many Games Will Be Played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Restart: Predict How Many Games Will Be Played

The EPL is planning to play the season's remaining 92 games, starting mid-June. How many of these games do you predict will be played before the project finishes or is called off?

I will start the bidding at 9.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-05-2020, 19:48.

individual games? Can I go in at zero. A member of the squad or staff of the first teams scheduled test positive before the very first game and they call it off.

Comment

Zero is OK

Comment

I'm curious

Are you (pl.) low balling the estimates because of the UK's relatively poor response to the crisis, or are you equally skeptical of the plans In Germany, Spain and Italy?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I'm curious

Are you (pl.) low balling the estimates because of the UK's relatively poor response to the crisis, or are you equally skeptical of the plans In Germany, Spain and Italy?
          Directed at me or Satchmo?

Personally, I'd definitely say yes to the first (just like I'd be incredibly skeptical of any plans to restart the NBA), but generally, because we know there are so many asymptomatic carriers, the instant one person who has been in contact with a full squad tests positive. That's it. Plan over, back to square one.

I'm maybe half as skeptical about Germany, somewhere in the middle for Spain and Italy. This is purely guesses based on my general feeling on their gov't responses.

Also, low-balling is classic Price is Right tactics.

Comment

They'll find some way to do it. It may involve a week off here and there as they put in place "processes" to stop fans gathering. And they'll keep any infections nicely hidden. They need to do it so they can start next year and keep their TV cash.

Comment

Jeez, and I thought my prediction was depressing.

Comment

If the Bundesliga canary in the German coalmine manages to carry on with the bare minimum of players testing positive, then all the EPL games will eventually be held. June 19th sounds hopelessly optimistic though, given German control of Covid-19 seems significantly in advance of where the UK is at present, so I'd say July 1st seems more likely.

Comment

If they don't start by July 1st, don't they make it impossible to start next season on time?

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                    given German control of Covid-19 seems significantly in advance of where the UK is at present..
                    I think you're exceedingly optimistic if you think these kinds of concerns are going to bother the relevant authorities (Premier League, FA, British government).

Comment

I'll go for 13.

Comment

Probably one or two and then we hear that one of the players from the games has Coronavirus and it's all halted again as unsafe

Comment

Players in a host of other countries have tested positive without any meaningful impact on overall plans for a "re-start".

I find it strange that people expect the most commercially-driven league in the world to act differently.

Comment

A renewed increase in infections across society as a whole is more likely to derail it than anything specific to the game itself, perhaps?

Comment

I think that that could well have a greater impact, though the commercial and political imperatives at work in the UK are very strong.

Comment

I want them to play as many games as it takes to relegate West Ham and shut Karren Brady up.

Comment

I'm hoping for none. The whole thing to fall apart before a game is completed.

Comment

Nothing will shut Karren Brady up.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-05-2020, 16:47.

Comment

I’ll go for 10.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

They'll find some way to do it. It may involve a week off here and there as they put in place "processes" to stop fans gathering. And they'll keep any infections nicely hidden. They need to do it so they can start next year and keep their TV cash.
                                        Think we have a winner.

Comment

Working...
                                        X