X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant quiz, sir

köszönöm

Comment

I was just thinking that this may not have been possible before the mid-1990s. The significant expansion of the number of sovereign states certainly expanded the number of possible choices.

If one were to set the quiz in 1985,.one would likely have to reduce the threshold to 100,000 or lower and perhaps omit other letters.

Comment

Can I add to Ursus's praise. This was a brilliant quiz.

Comment

Thirded, even if Poitiers was wrong.

Comment

Yes, good quiz, just the right side of the challenging/infuriating line. Thanks Ad Hoc.

Europe looks nice.

Comment

Thanks gents. You're welcome.

I'll try and do another one in the next few days

Comment

As mentioned above, I would never have got Iasi. Even though it seems to be Romania's second city (I'll leave that decision to local knowledge).

Which got me wondering how many other countries' second cities would stump me - as in, countries which are not that obscure, you can locate them on a map and come up with a few factoids, flags or footballers. Quite a few, it turns out.

Ignoring the pedants' paradise of debating exact city boundaries ("Forest not in Nottingham" etc), here's the Wiki list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...largest_cities

I couldn't have named the second cities of ... North Korea. Tunisia. Thailand. Nigeria. Paraguay. Award yourself points if you can (lots of points, as many as you want, I'm just giving them away).

Comment

Iasi isn't really Romania's second city. Or at least not exclusively. If you look at this page (and ignore its Bucharest-centric desire to talk up the claims of the various sectors of the capital as somehow separate cities) https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...lation/cities/ you'll see that basically after Bucharest there are 6 cities which are more or less equally sized in population. Cluj, Iasi and Timisoara are so close in size as to be statistically tied, I'd say (especially since all three boast very important universities and so have populations which are constantly in flux).

Comment

Working...
                  X