No announcement yet.

Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The U20s is really where it's at. Both of last night's games were fantastic. Some stunning death bowling for the Flowers there.

Comment

Yeah, really tense. Austin's bowling figures for the Ferrets were the barely credible 8-3-10-1.

If Nuhiu can't beat the Strollers today then it will probably go to a last day decider between the Ducks and Strollers.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
        Yeah, really tense. Austin's bowling figures for the Ferrets were the barely credible 8-3-10-1.

If Nuhiu can't beat the Strollers today then it will probably go to a last day decider between the Ducks and Strollers.
        That was a tight match, I always thought that you were going to sneak it with van Hasselt in but somehow we got the result.

Austin is rfm so those figures on a crumbling pitch are even less credible. He can also bat a little and is one of a handful of youngsters that I'm hoping will propel us forward.

Comment

I don't expect us to win today, in fact I'm astonished we're fourth in the table given that we're one of the worst teams in the competition.

Comment

I confess I've kind of given up. I'm still picking the team (most days), but the club is bankrupt and I'm struggling to care. Think this will likely be my last season

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              I confess I've kind of given up. I'm still picking the team (most days), but the club is bankrupt and I'm struggling to care. Think this will likely be my last season
              I'd recommend starting again and focusing on one aspect of the game, I went with youth and it's slowly working and I'm enjoying it more but I get why you want to quit.

I think the game engine itself is pretty good but it's so hard being an inexperienced manager, so much money wasted on players, wages and academies.

Comment

I think the game engine is excellent, but I do find the league structure a bit frustrating. My affiliate team is in Division 4 in the West Indies. All but one of the divisions has 4 or more zombies in it. We're currently second in three of the four divisions (top in the other one). So we're going to be stuck with loads of zombies again next season. I do think 2 teams getting promoted would be better.

Comment

Do you get more prize money for winning a league against human managers than if there are zombies in it?
                  Does the prize money increase the higher up you go?

Comment

Yes; unlike X11, the prize money goes up considerably as you go up the leagues. See: https://www.fromthepavilion.org/rule...e=competitions

Comment

Fine bit of silliness from the game engine here in our innings today, spot where the "Finisher" talent kicks in.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                        Yes; unlike X11, the prize money goes up considerably as you go up the leagues. See: https://www.fromthepavilion.org/rule...e=competitions
                        Cheers.

Comment

ad hoc let me know if you decide to restart. Not promising anything, and you most certainly shouldn’t change your decision on my account. I’m really not sure.

Everyone - be honest, how much time are you spending on this per day/week?

Comment

About 5 minutes per game on tactics. Now my squads are set up, very little on transfers and training, though buying players does take a bit of time. Then it's just how much time you choose to spend watching matches.

Comment

I spend quite a lot of time in the first half of the season. Mostly looking at players. Then I buy too many players. Then I run out of money. Then I stop looking and wait for my best players to be sold off. The absolute definition of stupidity, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                ad hoc let me know if you decide to restart. Not promising anything, and you most certainly shouldn’t change your decision on my account. I’m really not sure.

Everyone - be honest, how much time are you spending on this per day/week?
                                Since I went to youth only virtually no time. I've got two sides set up and they are my defaults so very low maintenance now. 5 minutes max.

I'll sometimes watch a game by diving in and out. To be honest much less time than Xpert Eleven and the enjoyment is coming back.

Comment

Yeah, now I've got a team I'm happy with I only spend 5-10 minutes on picking a side.

Mine and ad hoc's match was pretty exciting. It all came down to a big 50th over in the first innings and Manzini's wicket in the Nurdles 48th.

Comment

I took on an affiliate team recently, so I'm spending perhaps 1 hour a week picking my teams. I started off watching games ball by ball but the text is too repetitive so I don't do that any more. I would spend a lot longer trying to improve my teams if I knew how. My initial plan was to sign up players from the younger end of the spectrum and then improve them through training and thereby slowly build a strong team. Already I'm not convinced that can work. What has thrown me totally is the wage inflation. Already my outgoings regularly exceed my income even though I have not got any players on more than 6 grand per week. If I can't afford to keep my better players more than a season or two I might lose interest in the game very quickly. I really would like to upgrade my academies but I daren't run down the bank balance too far.

Comment

Yes, the wage inflation is something I don't get. My wages doubled from last season to this, if they again rise by a similar amount I'll have to sell off a lot of players which will destroy my team.

Comment

I'm not swayed yet. I think wages may have been one of the turn-offs first time around. That and being crap.

Comment

It's the lack of promotion and relegation opportunities that frustrate me - you can buy and set up a young, exciting team and win every game except the one much better team, end up second in the division and think 'what was all that about'? And the zombie teams are just no fun. That said, I'm top in three out of my four divisions, and I think I'm pobably going to get promotoed in two of them - both T20s. I banked a bit of cash early in the season and have used it to pay wages throughout the season - will have to see how much prizemoney I accrue.

Comment

Hmm, the website seems to have disappeared

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                              Hmm, the website seems to have disappeared
                                              I was just about to ask what has happened, Indonesian visitors perhaps?

Comment

What’s your pitch of choice?

Was just thinking I’ve only played everyone here on randomly selected pitches in the OTF league.

I go for hard pitches as my batsmen aren’t great, so at least they have a chance to get some runs, and my bowling attack is based on pace, so an opponent who relies on medium pace or spinners will be at a disadvantage.

Comment

I also favour a hard pitch Favourite Worst Nightmare and it's never really disadvantaged my first choice spinners that much.

This week is the last week of matches in the official leagues and I'm hoping to pick up some prize money. I'm:

3rd in the Senior One Day
                                                  4th in the Senior T20
                                                  1st in the Youth One Day
                                                  3rd in the Youth T20

Barring heavy defeats that's how I should finish.

In the OTF Youth I'm currently 4th but could finish a place higher or lower depending on other results as the run rates are all quite close.

My great concern is that the new season with bring another huge jump in wages forcing me to sell some players. As I've got 5 players aged 20 they'll be the ones to go.

Comment

I have been going for hard or uneven until recently, but I've noticed that the games where I've overcome a rating differential have tended to be more on slow pitches.

I'm not too sure whether to lean into the pitch type. For example, I have a fast bowler on a hard pitch, do I go attacking to maximise my benefit or do I go normal as the pitch will be doing a bit more work?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X