Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    Well, thank you for the kind words Levin . The squad need somthing to cheer them up after being treated like a bot by St Marks Hill Strollers on Saturday.
    Apologies Pebble. Our elderly groundsman Cedric completely ignored the instruction to provide a pitch that would provide an even contest between bat and ball, and instead produced an uneven surface that favoured the home bowlers.

Comment

This thread has gone very quiet.

We're into the last week of matches, I've divided my youth squad into two with half playing all the senior matches and half playing all the youth matches, it means that my weaker youth players are playing youth cricket and the better ones senior.

It took me nearly the whole season to figure that out, previously I was playing my better side in all matches and resting players if they got tired.

On Friday I actually beat a human manager in my senior league with my youth side, they were above me in the league unsurprisingly.

I'm giving this game another season or two but that result gave me some hope.

Comment

My aim this season is to rake in a fair amount of cash from prize money! I'm going to win my Senior One Day league ($221K), and I'm currently 2nd in all the others. I've been running a negative balance sheet for most of this season so I haven't been able to buy anyone until recently. In the end, I had to downgrade my senior academy from excellent to good in order to prevent my best players from being sold which was a bit of a bummer. I aim to re-instate that and probably expand the ground from 10K to 12K or maybe 13K. I might have enough money left over to increase my junior academy from lavish to luxurious (318K!), although that might be a bridge too far if I'm to stay solvent.... Last season I forgot how much the wage bill increases from one season to the next....

Comment

I'm not sure how I'm doing. That it's the final week of the season eluded my until these posts. I'm solidly mid table in the seniors and and being relegated in the youths. I've made a small loss over the season and have been using the cushion of some prize money from a couple of seasons ago. I'm really not looking forward to seeing how much my players wages will increase. I think I'm doing ok but a second season with no prize money is a pain and I've no way to improve my team as I'm not making money. But I'm not in dire straits.

I've not filled my ground once this season after expanding to 12k.

Oh and I'm about to be beaten by ad hoc this afternoon in the youth t20.

In OTF news. Nuhiu Rules Ahmed Gill became the 17th player to score 1000 runs. He has scored 1089 in 24 innings at an average of 57.32

I really need to put my stats in better shape. But it'll take a lot of reentry of data.

I mention that because I missed that Pratham Kale, formerly of the Dragons, was probably our best all rounder.

In 32 matches he scored 638 runs at 35.44 and took 51 wickets at 24.8.

Comment

The Ferrets gave the Fuzzy Ducks a game today, we lost but were in a winning position. Possibly there's light at the end of the tunnel now. Possibly.

Comment

I have a proper title decider with my youths today. 2nd v 1st, winner goes up.

Comment

The Dragons managed a promotion in the Youth Division from Div 4 to Div 3. All our other teams are going to finish between 2nd and 4th, all in Division 4 in New Zealand.
                I have an affiliate team in the West Indies which is totally youth based (no money on senior academy, youth players play all games). The West Indies must be substantially easier as we are similarly competitive in Division 4 there with teenagers as we are with a youngish, but adult side in NZ. We will be affected by the change coming in next season about a minimum wage for the senior side. I think I will buy 2 very high skill, high wage players but otherwise take the same approach.

We seem to be utterly uncompetitive against other OTFers. I can see why for the seniors, but our youths should be doing a bit better I reckon. Clearly I need to look at my tactics.

Comment

The Nurdles are having (have had) a mixed season. The Youth T20 team have been promoted to Division 2, which is terrifying. The Y full length side will almost certainly finish 4th, which at least garners prize money. The Senior side, however, which I had more hopes for, have been basically rubbish, and really struggled. I had to sell some of the high earning players as we were struggling financially to boot. In T20 we're 6th which is the worst place to finish. I've been trying to get us relegated for the last few weeks, but my efforts came to nought. So, no money, no hope in that league. We'll finish 5th in the full OD league. I think there is a small amount of prize money for that. I've realised that one of the negatives about this game is the value of getting relegated is much better than the value of just staying up. Last season I managed to stay up in all my leagues, but realised afterwards that this was a huge error. (I know there are gate receipt and development values in being in a higher league, but the prize money boost that you get from a few years of yoyoing is better, I think)

Comment

We're going to finish mid table in everything. Both the T20 teams have clinched 4th, the youth team need to win this afternoon and hope someone else loses (both of which should happen) to achieve the same and then there's going to be a nervy day tomorrow as I try to hold off pebble's affiliates for, erm, 4th - they're playing a bot and we've got the team who's won the league. Trying to work out how to really push on next season, the wage bill's going to shoot up again so I'm having a bit of a clear out getting rid of some of the fringe players and the 20 year olds who aren't going to play senior cricket. I could of course start dipping in to the million and a half quid I've got in the bank.

Had a similar experience to Levin on ground expansion - went up from 10k to 12k, think I've passed the old capacity twice, with no sell outs. Was quite surprised by how much crowds dropped off at the start of the season even though we'd been promoted.

Comment

5th in the Senior One Day, two bots in the league all season, a third has just appeared.
                      8th in the Senior T20.
                      8th in the Youth One Day.
                      6th in the Youth T20, two bots beneath me.

Unbelievably I'll get some prize money and that'll go into my final youth academy upgrade.

I've got 23 players in my squad, either 5 or 6 at every age from 16 to 19 so I'm hoping to see something positive next season. I'm tempted to change countries again to Zimbabwe as recommended by TopManager .

Comment

Two zombies in every league next season means I'm not going down, no prize money means another long slog of a season.

Comment

$501,000 of prize money here. Sorry AE. Now, do I want to get relegated in the leagues I've just been promoted to?

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                            $501,000 of prize money here. Sorry AE. Now, do I want to get relegated in the leagues I've just been promoted to?
                            Give it a few games and see where you are going to be.

Even playing my youth against a senior zombie side I'm going to win.

Comment

96k prize money, wage bill gone up by 20% again even not counting the players I'm going to sell this week. No bots in any of my leagues and quite a few familiar names.

Got an interesting draw in the big cup, got a Bangladesh team ranked 1059 globally so they're not all that bad. If I play my best team I'll win, if I play the youths I'll lose (assuming they field their strongest team) so now I've got a couple of weeks to decide if the prize and gate money from progressing are worth the hassle of knackering my best players. If we win we get the number 16 seed!

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                Two zombies in every league next season means I'm not going down, no prize money means another long slog of a season.
                                We're in the same youth T20 division next seasn, if you stay in.

Three second places and a relegation in the grownups one dayer. Very mediocre season.
                                Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 13-02-2021, 17:25. Reason: sp.

Comment

48k in prize money. Not great. And I forgot to record my wages before the update so I'm not 100% how much players have gone up by.

I'm going to start winnowing my youth squad. Experience is so important, I need to have more consistent selection if I'm going to bring through youths to seniors. Even if results suffer a bit.

I see that I've got ad hoc in my senior T20 next year.

Comment

Some landmarks were passed in OTF this weekend as well as a very good game at the top of the table where Wellworth defeated the then unbeaten Nuhiu Rules leaving them the only team with a 100% record.

We had two players pass the 1000 runs mark

Elliot Faulkner of Nuhiu Rules who has scored 1067 runs in 42 matches at an average of 35.57. He has scored a single century and five 50s.
                                    Julien Harrop of Wellworth has scored 1004 runs in 29 matches at an average of 40.16. He also has a single century and eight 50s.

They are the 18th and 19th players to reach 1000 runs in OTF one day competition.

Their accomplishments with the bat pale in comparison with the next players exploits with the ball though. Nathan Cleeve of VIllage Flowers became the only player to take 100 wickets. He has 102 at 15.25 from 42 matches. He also has the best ever return of 6-18 and is the only player in the top ten wicket takers to have an economy rate below 4.

Comment

What divisions are you all in now, and who’s in the OTF League? Not coming back, just popping my head in to say hello.

Comment

It was a good game on Saturday if an annoying result, but I wasn't unbeaten going into it - the Strollers had defeated me earlier in the competition.

Comment

Oh, I haven't set up my team for today's league game, and I appear to have three batsmen in my bowling line up. Bollocks

Comment

Oh yes longeared I meant to say that you winning would have put us back to 3 teams at the top with equal records. But just went for something else instead.

Vicarious Thrillseeker it's infuriating that it does that. Why not just check to see what bowlers you have?

Sits we're all over the place. We've got 10 team senior and youth leagues going on with a couple of new teams involved. I think we're generally in divs 3 & 4 senior and the same for youth with a couple of exceptions. Money is the main limiting factor on improvement. Which might be realistic but doesn't make for a fun game. We are all struggling with the rewards for fighting for a mid table place being smaller than if you were in a lower division but winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              Oh yes longeared I meant to say that you winning would have put us back to 3 teams at the top with equal records. But just went for something else instead.

Vicarious Thrillseeker it's infuriating that it does that. Why not just check to see what bowlers you have?

Sits we're all over the place. We've got 10 team senior and youth leagues going on with a couple of new teams involved. I think we're generally in divs 3 & 4 senior and the same for youth with a couple of exceptions. Money is the main limiting factor on improvement. Which might be realistic but doesn't make for a fun game. We are all struggling with the rewards for fighting for a mid table place being smaller than if you were in a lower division but winning.
                                              Thanks Levin. That section I’ve emboldened sounds like the cycling game!

Comment

I think the main difference is that the cycling game has abstracted away wage management. Which I've come to see as a good decision. In that game you need money to improve. In the cricket game you need the money to stay afloat.

Comment

Of course I’d forgotten wages!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                                    Oh, I haven't set up my team for today's league game, and I appear to have three batsmen in my bowling line up. Bollocks
                                                    I'm having a similar experience today. I enter my team several days in advance and evidently I picked one of the keepers who I sold or fired last week. So now rather than the new keeper who I signed the game has decided the best player behind the stumps is an extra batsman with atrocious keeping. I mean, we always lose to these opponents anyway so it shouldn't make any real difference, but it's bloody annoying nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X