Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricketing Timewaster

I've signed up for From the Pavillion as a couple of OTFers are already playing and I don't have much going on. It looks a bit more complicated than Cycling Simulator but I've won a game so it can't be that hard. My club, Wellworth, is in the West Indies because the 3pm UK match start time suits me best.

Challenge sent. I'll put my youth team out against your firsts, given that I've been playing for a while.

Comment

Seeing as I've got a bit more time on my hands at the moment I signed up for this last night (Nuhiu Rules, based in the Netherlands) and had a pleasant evening wandering around all the different components of the game. I see there's lexiconic challenges such as "is ordinary better or worse than average" (Worse) but at least it makes a change from just being a collection of numbers. For anyone that got scared off by reading that lengthy manual, I'd note that it all makes a lot more sense if you actually sign up and join.

A couple of questions for those more familiar with the game than me:

- Can you change any match instructions during the actual course of a match or does it all go with whatever you've set in advance?
      - I see it costs money to put a player on the transfer market. Is there any up front cost to just firing a player?

Comment

I'm only a couple of days in but it costs nothing to fire a player. Match instructions are static. Players do react to match conditions I think.

If there are enough of us I wouldn't mind paying the minimal cost of an OTF friendly competition.

I think money is much more important than Cycling Simulator. There is weekly income and outgoings so you need to manage your wage bill more.

Comment

My first game might have been designed to get me hooked. Opposition batted first, got to 172-3 then collapsed to 217 all out. We were abject with the bat, only one guy holding us together with 72 but we were about 130 for 8. Then our 9 and 10 put together an unbelievable stand to get us within 3 of victory. The sequence then went run out, 2, run out. So started off with a tie.

Comment

I intend to sign up for this later this week. Looks good.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

I made a mistake signing up for Sri Lanka though, time of matches doesn't work for me. Ideally I'd want 7 or 8pm UK time but I'm trying to transfer to NZ as the closest to that.

Comment

Clearly, I'm going to have to be the mug who goes for Oz if I do this, aren't I?

My main concern remains time. I know that sounds odd at a time like this, but I know for a fact I won't end up "watching" games, let alone interacting in them "live" if that's a thing. How much time does it expect of players, as a minimum to actually make it worthwhile? Obviously I know if you get really hooked, you give a lot more. I am now doing this for Cycling Simulator, the way I once did for Xpert 11. But in honesty I'm no longer as interested in cricket as I used to be.

Comment

If you don't watch the games, it's about 5-10 minutes a day. Watching the games is what makes it fun for me, but then again my job is sitting in front of a computer, so clicking on the latest score every ten minutes helps the day go quicker. And if you go for Australis Sits be warned that that's the strongest country, as it's an Australian game.

One tip for newcomers, don't get too attached to your starting players. You'll replace them soon enough. I started a new affiliate team three months ago (if you sign up for membership, you have the option of running two teams), and already only one first teamer and two youths haven't been replaced by bought in talent.

Comment

How many OTFers have we got? I'll join if it helps create a league etc.

Comment

Georgetown Runners are in. This looks pretty in depth, though player nationality doesn't drill deeper than 'West Indies'.

Comment

After today it's end of season, so a good time to join, apart from there being no games next week. After the update on Sunday there'll be loads of players on the transfer market, mainly 21 year olds who are no longer eligible for youth teams, but their managers haven't got room for them in the seniors. You can normally pick up some good bargains; certainly good enough to improve your starting squad.

Comment

I'm managing Wellworth in the West Indies.
                            I've got to stop spending money on the transfer market, before the bonus $50k dollars a week for the first 4 weeks stops. I'm quite pleased with my pace attack though, well most of it.

Comment

I signed up, but I don't know how it happened but I'm in the Pakistan league

Comment

I intend to sign up but as yet have been too busy. When I do, i'll let the thread know

Comment

Been enjoying this so far, though not entirely sure I'm operating efficiently in the transfer market - so far I've bought mostly young players, then I put one of my seniors up for sale and the high bidder so far is a team in the Scotland top division. I see the "young talent" finder is similar to other games, I asked my scouts to find a spinner and they delivered the equivalent of Alastair Cook.

Won my first match by nine wickets with half the overs to spare, won my second match by nine wickets with two thirds of the overs to spare then yesterday I came up against a human controlled team for the first time and got thumped by about 100 runs. Would have been even worse had it not been for a 44 run last wicket partnership and my big signing Spencer Pedrotti making 67 not, other than him the top scorer was extras with 15.

Comment

My sons have been playing FTP for years, they are both now national coaches (or they were last time I asked). Since the guy who developed the game died, it has kind of gone down the tubes a bit, they were telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                                      My sons have been playing FTP for years, they are both now national coaches (or they were last time I asked). Since the guy who developed the game died, it has kind of gone down the tubes a bit, they were telling me.
                                      Long time no see, hope you are keeping well.

Comment

Still umming and ahhing about this one.

A question for those playing Cycling Simulator: is FTP more or less complex?

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker , there is a way to change countries and while it normally costs this season it's free (they're trying to get people to move out of Eng and Aus.

Sits It's more complex but, I think slightly more intuitive than Cycling Simulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                            Vicarious Thrillseeker , there is a way to change countries and while it normally costs this season it's free (they're trying to get people to move out of Eng and Aus.

Sits It's more complex but, I think slightly more intuitive than Cycling Simulator.
                                            Thanks Levin.

Comment

You can wastespend a lot of time poring through the transfer market and trying to land thousand dollar bargains.

Comment

I keep bidding far too much money, and then being relieved when I lose the auction, for a decent wicketkeeper.

In my week of playing, batsmen are much of a muchness although I guess at higher levels ones with special ability synergies are much more valuable.

Wrist spinners and fast bowlers are rare, fast medium and finger spin less so, tons of medium pacers about. There is a small negative if all your bowling attack is the same, I think it does count right and left as different so my lf, lfm. rf, rm, rfs attack is fine.

Single skill players are not very good, you need technique, endurance, power, fielding to back up your primary abilities.

Comment

How do you change country?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X