• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be a single digit runs victory rather than a one wicket win

Comment

See?

Comment

I possibly celebrated more than a middle aged man should do about an online game while sat on his own and supposed to be at work.

Good game though ad hoc , thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
          I'm having a fire sale, starting with my highest earners and moving down. Six players on the transfer list and for every player who joins another goes on the list. If there are no takers I'll be sacking them.

I'm going for a large youth squad and will play them in the seniors, we're getting beaten anyway so they might as well get some experience.

If this doesn't work I'll do the opposite.

If that doesn't work I'll give up on the game.
          I sold my three highest earning bowlers to cut down on wages, and I'm now considering whether to change the whole team and choose much younger players. I'm not sure I'm enjoying it quite as much as when I started.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post

I sold my three highest earning bowlers to cut down on wages, and I'm now considering whether to change the whole team and choose much younger players. I'm not sure I'm enjoying it quite as much as when I started.
            This is true for me. It's lost the magic.

Comment

I think it's the lack of tactical choice within matches. It's not like football where you can try a 4231 if you want to shake things up. There is a degree I'm sure but still.

But there's no shaking things up without rebuilding.

I'm still enjoying it, but I feel I've hit a plateau.

Comment

I knew it was coming, but it still hurts...
                Sent at: 07 Dec 20 09:30 From: Board of Directors To: pebblethefish
                Due to the fact that your team has a bank balance of -$80,863 and has been in debt for at least 4 financial updates, your highest wage player (Rhys Ratcliffe) has been put up for sale on the transfer market, in an effort to raise funds and get your team out of debt.

Comment

I've got a balance of -$173K, so I fear I'm not far away from something similar, pebble. My highest paid player is only on $6,683 though. Might have to downgrade an academy....
                  Good win in the Youth T20 today though!

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                    I knew it was coming, but it still hurts...
                    Sent at: 07 Dec 20 09:30 From: Board of Directors To: pebblethefish
                    Due to the fact that your team has a bank balance of -$80,863 and has been in debt for at least 4 financial updates, your highest wage player (Rhys Ratcliffe) has been put up for sale on the transfer market, in an effort to raise funds and get your team out of debt.
                    Selling Ratcliffe is probably a blessing in disguise. Having re-joined and joined the game a few times, I can understand the temptation of having WC/Exceptional trained players with low secondaries. However, ultimately, (I've learnt the hard way) it is better to have players with lower wages and better fielding, power & endurance.

Comment

Thanks for setting up the OTF Youth competition Levin. There was definitely a buzz around the youth lads today, I had to keep reminding them to maintain their social distancing.

Comment

How much importance do you all place on your captains? Both in my first team and youth team I’ve got a Mike Brearley type who is a Natural Leader with good captaincy skills, with primaries that are ok, but below the standard of the rest of the team.

Comment

Can't speak for anyone else, but I pick the eleven I want, then select the best captain from that eleven. No way would a player get in on captaincy alone.

Comment

I do the same. I noticed as well that it's not just your captains captaincy that applies. But it's hard enough finding good players I can afford without considering captaincy.

Once more round of the youth comp to go and it's all over bar the shouting for Village Flowers with Fuzzy Ducks having played all their matches. I don't know how to do the maths but I think the Flowers would have to lose by a lot to drop 0.2786 in NRR

Comment

Have you read the admin message regarding the proposed changes being made at the end of the season? As a long-term Xpert Eleven player I'm not used to owners who actually develop their game! I like the look of the Form Changes. It makes sense to base them around actual player performance. I gulped when I saw the minimum squad wages though - that's going to make quite a difference to budget strategy!

Comment

If I've read it correctly the changes to the cup competition are going to be a right ballache. New first round where there will be a roughly 2/3 chance of getting a bot, or it'll be someone not very good. Then the whole thing changes to a structured draw 1 v 1024, 2 v 1023 etc, so for me (and I imagine most of us) the second round will be an unwinnable tie against someone miles better. As things currently stand I'm ranked 881st globally, so that would put me up against the 144th ranked team, who are in the West Indies second division and have a rating 50k better than me, so I'd lose by a mile unless they played their youth team, and in reality I'd probably field some fringe players and youths to get it out of the way rather than wasting my "stars".

Comment

That’s really annoying about the cup. My ranking has not thus far merited involvement, but was looking forward to my first tilt at it next season. But as you say longeared, it seems as though I’ll win a mismatch against a bot in the first round, to be followed by a thumping in a mismatch against a team miles better than me in the second round.

Comment

Here we go. So long as Village Flowers don't lose by a massive massive amount they're going to be champions.

Fuzzy Ducks hit the jackpot with that youth recruit! 110k for a 16 years old.

Comment

Good to see Michieka get out relatively cheaply as that should ensure I end up with the competition's leading run scorer.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        Good to see Michieka get out relatively cheaply as that should ensure I end up with the competition's leading run scorer.
                                        I had noted his remote chance this morning, but on a sticky pitch he was never going to make it. May also have messed up his chance of being top fantasy points scorer.

Now to see if Robert Flett can get the five wickets he needs to top that table...

Comment

A full boxing day schedule in the OTF Championship.

Fuzzy Ducks have already squeezed out a one wicket victory in the antipodes. The Dragons are having a tough time against the Baptists in a Welsh grudge match.

At the top of the table, before today there were three teams on 24 points with two games to play. Nuhiu have got over 200 on a bowler friendly pitch even after the Flowers have shipped out a couple of their more regular bowlers. Wellworth face the newcomer Strollers later today.

Next week sees Nuhiu face Wellworth while the VIllage Flowers will have the beat the Ferrets to stay in contention.

Comment

I worked out last week that we could end up with a four way tie on 28 points at the top of the table. Although that's looking a lot less likely now given that it relied on me beating pebble.

Comment

Hi all.

A big thanks to Levin who has been paying for all these OTF tournaments (as I only just realised). Please say if you would like to spread the cost around!

Comment

Good to see you back Etienne . It's fine, really, it's not much money and it's much more interesting playing against people from here than just the normal competitions.

Who is up for OTF 4? I may have to split it up into two divisions so if you're lurking and have a team or are thinking of signing up; now's the time to say.

Antepli Ejderha
                                                ad hoc
                                                Viktor Boskovic
                                                @Etienne
                                                Favourite Worst Nightmare
                                                Granthamian
                                                ✅@Levin
                                                longeared
                                                jdsx
                                                pebblethefish
                                                Vicarious Thrillseeker

It's nearly time for me to say goodbye to Dylan Ruse. He is still one of my top five bowlers but it's getting harder and harder to keep him fit for the important games. It might be better to make to with a worse attack for a while but give some youngsters some experience. I've only had him since April and he was only every going to be a temporary signing as he is in his 30s but I'm quite attached.

Comment

I'm happy to join but will drop out if you get ten others as I'm not playing with seniors at all.

Comment

I’m up for another round of the OTF league, been enjoying it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X