No announcement yet.

Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played a team ranked about 150 places above me and they rested some players. Though they still beat me. I did notice that everyone in my T20 league yesterday saw their ratings drop by about 15k from the previous week, presumably through team changes (I made six from Sunday) or from having to play fatigued players. That's something worth noting for the future.

On the upside I finally won my first domestic game of the season yesterday, at the seventh attempt.

Comment

Fatigue-wise, you can't expect to compete in all three senior comps (50 over, T20 and Cup). I've got a 50-over division with a couple of easy games coming up, so I can afford to put the reserves in for that instead, but if you try to go on a cup run as well as compete properly in both leagues, you're going to knacker your players.

Comment

I lost to a team ranked about 700 places above me. My senior team has some bots in both leagues, so I was able to play a reasonably strong team just for the experience, and play some youths in the league matches either side.

Unfortunately I completely forgot to set a team for the following youth T20 match. Consequently, my wicket keeper found himself bowling a few overs, which I'm sure he found quite interesting, but we lost a game we should have easily won....

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
          Is it a thing, playing the kids and the stiffs? I beat a South African team - 747 places above me. He played a couple of 16 year olds, but the side was still strong. Do serious teams try to get knocked out early?
          I avoid playing my strongest team because of fatigue. However, trying to do well in the Matt Krevs Memorial Cup has two main advantages...

Firstly, increased gate takings.

Secondly, the experience bonus from a Pavillion cup game is the equivalent of a division 1 SOD game (regardless of who the opponent is).

Comment

Do players retire in this game, or do you have to pension them off when they are past their sell-by? One of the players in someone's squad I was just looking at is 63 years old, and has played in just one match since 2012!

Comment

I played kids in my cup game. I was pretty certain that my opponent would want to go through and I wouldn't be able to stop him.

Player seven won one in non OTF games this season.

Granthamian you have to manually fire them. Otherwise they'll just keep on getting worse and worse.

Comment

There's a 58 year old on the transfer market should anyone be after someone of outstanding experience.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/play...layerId=784778

Comment

One team I played against last season had a senior team which was just that - 12 players all in their fifties and all on $400 per week. Their youth team had 23 decent players, I think, and so he played all youth players in both senior and youth games. Presumably this is good for their experience. I imagine if you have a deluxe youth academy and a non-existent senior academy it's a reasonable tactic...sell the decent youths when they get to 21 for a reasonable profit.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                    There's a 58 year old on the transfer market should anyone be after someone of outstanding experience.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/play...layerId=784778
                    You would think a 58-year-old could get up to legendary experience. I will be making a bid!

Comment

Congrats on your win today Levin. I always felt the fixture had (to use a footballing analogy) an air of when early pacesetters QPR visited Anfield in the 87/88 season, the match where John Barnes scored with that fabulous mazy dribble.

My young opening batsman Rudy Peters is steadily improving in the OTF league:

Week 1....1st ball duck
                      Week 2....2nd ball duck
                      Week 3....3rd ball duck

Comment

I was impressed by pebble winning with only three of his batsmen making double figures.

Comment

Favourite Worst Nightmare not my victory but Pebble's. I thought you were in with a good shout for most of the match. I thought the same of your game longeared , so maybe I'm just not a good judge of game states.

Do the Baptists have enough wickets to make it to the finish line?

Comment

Oh sorry Pebble, it was you that beat me not Levin. Still working out who’s who.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                              [USER="7310"]

Do the Baptists have enough wickets to make it to the finish line?
                              I suspect that they will only need the one (the gloriously named Dickfos - the word "fasz" in Hungarian, pronounced foss, means Dick/Cock as well)

Comment

Another defeat, I think I'm going to be going back to the drawing board. The problem is I've not got a clue and I'll get no prize money this season.

Comment

As so frequently i got caught out by the time zone thing in my cup game. Logged on Sunday morning to set up my team and found that i;d already been utterly thrashed in New Zealand. I would have lost anyway, but it would have been good to have chosen which players to give an experience boost to. Bugger. I really need to be much more alert to this thing

Comment

I'm so not used to reaching the second round of the cup that I forgot to set tactics. Fortunately my opponent is clearly one who doesn't want to be in the cup, so we're through to round three. It's going to play hell with my fatigue, but I really need the money.

Comment

I'm having a fire sale, starting with my highest earners and moving down. Six players on the transfer list and for every player who joins another goes on the list. If there are no takers I'll be sacking them.

I'm going for a large youth squad and will play them in the seniors, we're getting beaten anyway so they might as well get some experience.

If this doesn't work I'll do the opposite.

If that doesn't work I'll give up on the game.

Comment

That's going to take a long time.

I see that ad hoc has been making money selling off some decent youth recruits.

Comment

Oh dear. This isn't going well.

Did VA not set a team? He seems to have bowled his batters.

Comment

I've slashed my wage bill from 140k to 40k with another perhaps 10k to come off. I've also been searching for 16 and 17 year old prospects as I try to develop two squads to play in the senior tournament as well. I'm hoping they'll get decent experience and improved training in an upgraded academy.

I lost a T20 today that I should have won, hopefully things will improve.

Comment

Two games completed in this round of the youth, 37 wickets fallen and two one wicket victories.

Comment

After a few weeks trying to get to grips with this game I’ve decided to go with a 12 man senior squad (but a competitive one) and a larger youth squad with a better funded academy. I don’t want to develop youths for sale - unless I have to - but more to end up with better players that I could not afford to buy. The big unknown for me is cash burn - if as I suspect a better quality player will demand a higher salary I feel I need to keep cash in the bank. Already my weekly income is almost all going to pay wages and academy fees.

So far I’ve learned it’s impossible to lose to a “bot” team (it’s a bit disappointing they roll over so easily) and difficult to give a “proper” team much of a test. I’ve got enough enjoyment out of it all to stick around for a while at least. What sort of level have some of you managed to reach, and how long has it taken to get there?

Comment

Playing my youths in a senior T20 went well, bowled out for 7 after giving up 10 an over. I hope the experience doesn't scar them too much.

My youth team is worse than a senior bot side.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                    Two games completed in this round of the youth, 37 wickets fallen and two one wicket victories.
                                                    The third one is in danger of going the same way

Comment

Working...
                                                    X