Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    TopManager

I'm trying to summarise your advice here.

Batting is best if it's LR combinations.
    If you plan to develop your senior players invest in your senior academy.
    A bowling attack that's balanced rather than favouring one style works best.
    Once a player hits 25 focus on power and endurance.

Now some questions.

What should my bowling attack look like? Do LR combinations work well or is that not so important?
    Do I stick with the default tactics settings or select D for all tailenders?
    I often have my two best bowlers bowl 442 or 433 spells, is that wise?
    I've got 3 spinners, all bowl 55 spells, is that wise? Are 3 spinners too much? They are all RFS so I think I know the answer.
    Clarifications

1) Yes left-right batting combinations receive a 'fixed % bonus for the partnership'. However, the most important thing is you select your best batsman. So for example, it would not be worth subbing an Accomplished right-hander for a capable left-hander (in order to achieve more left-right combinations).

2) Correct

3) Well, a bowling attack which has variety whilst suiting the pitch type is ideal. The game allows you to have a variety bonus. However, you should never 'balance' your bowling attack in favour of bowlers who are of a lower quality or who don't suit the pitch type. So my advice would be for every manager to have at least 2 spinners and 4 seamers (including all-rounders). Therefore, you can juggle your bowlers around on the basis of conditions.

4) That is usually good advice. But you can spend longer on primaries - especially when you are training spinners. If you are training primaries by the time your player is 28/29 than in most circumstances that is a bad idea. I may do a post on training programmes.

Questions

1) Left and right-hand bowlers are included in the variety bonus. However, ignore the issue of if left and right-hand bowlers are bowling in tandem with each other - that is irrelevant.

2) Tailenders do badly regardless of what orders you set. Just avoid aggressive.

3) Seems fine. Usually, spinners don't get fatigued unless they bowl 7+ overs in a spell. Although this is dependant on endurance.

4) 3 Spinners is too much on Green, Uneven & Hard. Try to have 6-7 bowlers in your squad who can compete in different conditions. However, the quality of your bowlers is the most significant factor. For example, this bowler Afifi Saad is a lot better than Coleten Mills. Therefore, it would not make sense to play Mills instead of Saad in order to increase your variety bonus or to have a bowling attack which favours pitch conditions. So if your RFS are good (better than the opposing batsman) you can win games with 3 RFS's.

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/play...ayerId=2060245
    https://www.fromthepavilion.org/play...ayerId=2177483

Comment

Thanks a lot. So I'll look to add better players but by paying attention if they are LR and their bowling.

Comment

491/4 from my 50 overs. I'm liking my chances of staying up.

Comment

Rather disappointingly, I didn't get promoted on the basis of NRR. I've never liked the fact FTP uses NRR to determine the rankings of teams with equal points given there is nothing in the match engine which accounts for NRR. Head to head would be a much better metric in my view. I would not have been promoted on the basis of head to head either but at least that is a metric which you can influence.

The end of the season will bring some increased transfer activity. As there is a week layoff before next season starts, it's a good idea to pay extra attention to the transfer market as many managers will list players knowing managers have prizemoney to spend whilst also looking to clear out squads for a new campaign. Hence, some bargains could be out there.

Comment

They've run the season update overnight and it seems they've done so without problems for once. So I've got 505k in prize money, a 24% hike in the wage bill, no bots in any of my divisions to begin with, and I've got pebble's affiliates in my one day league.

Comment

I have Wellworth in my YT20 league, which I'm happy to see. (Not because I stand a chance of beating them, but because it's good to see a familiar face)

Comment

So Danefieldshire and St. Marks Hill Strollers will be raising the curtain on OTF 4 on Friday night. Can’t deny I’m a tad excited, and it’s on my birthday, which seems as good a way as any to spend it at the moment.

Comment

470k in prize money. I've increased the ground capacity to 14k and reupgraded my senior academy and have about half the money left.

I've put bids on 6 players and might ship out a few once I see what happens. ad hoc cheekily bid on two of my targets, I've outbid him now but will leave them if I get outbid again.

​​​​​​​Time to wait for a few days to see how things have settled.

Comment

Just had a look at my leagues, two have two zombies in so that's good to avoid relegation, two are completely full of human managers so that's a decent challenge. I'm hoping that means larger crowds and therefore more gate receipts and money.

Comment

We just missed out on promotion in both senior leagues. But we got 250,000 in prize money, and I managed to sell a brand new 16yo for 200,000 (first decent one I've received, I think).

I've upgraded both academies, now excellent (senior) and lavish (junior). I'd forgotten quite how much the wage bill goes up each season, though, so I expect to be broke again by Monday....

Comment

I've put bids on 6 players and might ship out a few once I see what happens. ad hoc cheekily bid on two of my targets, I've outbid him now but will leave them if I get outbid again.
                        I was seriously thinking about bidding for a player Vicarious Thrillseeker bought yesterday....didn't want to get into a bidding war though....

Comment

18% wage bill increase for me and $276,000 in prize money. I may wait a couple of weeks to see if I can afford to upgrade my academy. I don't think I'll be able to afford to improve my team from without unless I went the buy veterans route.

This season looks like it's going to be a grim slog. Especially as you get no prize money for finishing fifth and down.

Comment

Yes I'm beginning to regret my brave rearguard actions against relegation. I managed to stay up in all my leagues but no prize money (and little prospect of any next season) suggests I may have committed a schoolboy error

Comment

Gazumped by an OTFer in my hunt for a left handed batsman.

I've now put in multiple bids and set my limit to 20k transfer fee and 10k salary, no need to break the bank for this.

Comment

Is prize money only paid for top five finishers?

Makes sense to throw matches and get relegated rather than stay up in 6th.

Comment

Gazumped by an OTFer in my hunt for a left handed batsman.

I've now put in multiple bids and set my limit to 20k transfer fee and 10k salary, no need to break the bank for this.
                                  I did note that it was you I was outbidding and felt somewhat guilty - but I had bid 3000 on this particular player a couple of days ago so I felt like I could

But, anyway, sorry

Comment

No problem, I think it was the same player tbh. A decent buy by the looks of things.

Comment

I don't know what to do at the minute. I found a player who would walk in to my first team but not by much. Which seems like the perfect place to aim for. Small but concrete improvements.

He was going for 20,000 and as he'd be my only buy this off season I went for a 250,000 managed bid. Current top bid is 288,000 and there are 14 hours left to go.

Maybe I need to start looking players older than 24.

Comment

3 of the players I have in my "current transfer" list are now subject to hostile bids* by AE

(some might refer to these as simply bids)
                                        ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          3 of the players I have in my "current transfer" list are now subject to hostile bids* by AE

(some might refer to these as simply bids)
                                          ​​​​​
                                          Just let me have one. Go on.

Comment

I get way too attached to my players. I need to sell one of my high earners (ok, they're nearly all high earners), but it took me a good half hour to actually press the confirm button. And that's just for Joel Ohlstrom, who's not a particular favourite. If Nobes or Ratcliffe have to go, there may well be tears.

Comment

Just let me have one. Go on.
                                              I won't be pursuing my interest in that Tory guy. And not just because he's called Tory

Comment

I won't be pursuing my interest in that Tory guy. And not just because he's called Tory
                                                Very generous after another gazumping. Winky face.

Comment

Very generous after another gazumping. Winky face.
                                                  Don;t suppose it's going to make you any happier to note that one of the players I gazumped you, on scored 38 runs today in our match...

Comment

Don;t suppose it's going to make you any happier to note that one of the players I gazumped you, on scored 38 runs today in our match...
                                                    It's no bother, the worst thing you've done is given me a fucking Tory.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X