No announcement yet.

Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etienne's the only OTFer I've never beaten - I don't know about being unlucky, I made mistakes with my underuse of medium pacers on that pitch. He'd probably have still won anyway mind.

I'm top of all my leagues, which says a lot about the strength or otherwise of the Netherlands players. Win on Monday and I'm up, win on Tuesday and I've only got to beat a bot to guarantee promotion (to the second division!), win on Thursday to keep a net run rate shoot out going, win on Friday and I'm up. Haven't lost a game in any format since August 11th!

Comment

Oh wow, hopefully you'll find you're level soon.

That was a rollercoaster. It might not look it from the result but I was sure I was going lose at 4 points and then felt I might win at 3.

Comment

My first season in proper leagues with nary a bot to be seen has been a bit of a mixed bag. The youth T20 league I'm comfortably mid table, to the point where I can play for experience. The other youth league I'm in the relegation zone - bit it's very tight. However the fact that my last two games are against the top two teams suggests I'm a but fucked there. Plus my best youth player got too old, just this week.

The senior T20 I'm 4 points above the relegation zone, but again my last two games are against tough teams so i am counting no chickens there. If I survive it will be because the teams below me are worse (I suspect I will, just about). The senior normal league, it will come down to the last game of the season in which I face my rival for the second relegation slot. If I only get relegated in one league I'll see it as a victory, and a season of learning a bit more about what i need to do to improve.

Comment

Aaaanyway - OTF III looks interesting, with the Flowers and the Baptists facing off in the last game for the title - winner takes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
            Aaaanyway - OTF III looks interesting, with the Flowers and the Baptists facing off in the last game for the title - winner takes it.
            I think all of the matches will have an impact on the table, nicely drawn up set of fixtures.

Comment

Hi all, thanks to this thread for introducing me to this wonderful game. I think it’s great, and has helped me no end to have something else to think about with all the current restrictions on the usual way of life. Also a perfect fit with working from home, having the matches on the browser in the background whilst working (or vice verse).

Anyway, to the point. I’m building my bowling attack around a “nuclear warhead” (as the late Bob Willis described the West Indies) of extreme pace. However I know the match engine gives a benefit for variety of bowling. I’m wondering if it’s better to have 4 x fast bowlers, or 3 x fast and 1 x fast medium. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Dragons had a player run out very first ball today. Which seems careless. Ducks needing 12 off 12.

Comment

I've been assuming that right and left of a type count as different so my primary attack is rf lf rfm lfm and lfs.

Fast bowlers do seem to be very good at taking wickets though, maybe that would outweigh the small bonus for having a mixed attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                    Hi all, thanks to this thread for introducing me to this wonderful game. I think it’s great, and has helped me no end to have something else to think about with all the current restrictions on the usual way of life. Also a perfect fit with working from home, having the matches on the browser in the background whilst working (or vice verse).

Anyway, to the point. I’m building my bowling attack around a “nuclear warhead” (as the late Bob Willis described the West Indies) of extreme pace. However I know the match engine gives a benefit for variety of bowling. I’m wondering if it’s better to have 4 x fast bowlers, or 3 x fast and 1 x fast medium. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
                    TopManager would know the answer.

Out of interest what's your team? I think you've just missed joining the OTF Yoof but there's got to be a senior OTF tournament coming soon.

Comment

It’s St. Marks Hill Strollers. Currently operating in the Scottish 4th Division. Just finishing my first full season, set for 2nd place in all but the youth t20 where, fingers crossed, I’ve staved off relegation.

If there is a space available in the OTF league I’m sure the lads would be made up to have the chance to play in it. It sounds as though it’s a reasonable standard so we may not be that competitive, and no probs if it’s already fully booked.

Comment

Most of us are in our second full season, so not much further along.

There are a couple who've been playing it longer.

Comment

Levin Wellworth
                          longeared Nuhiu Rules
                          Antepli Ejderha The Zeugma Ferrets
                          ad hoc The Csiki Nurdles
                          pebblethefish Village Flowers
                          Etienne Croesoswallt Dragons
                          Vicarious Thrillseeker Bagillt Baptists
                          Viktor Boskovic Danefieldshire
                          Favourite Worst Nightmare St. Marks Hill Strollers
                          ​​​​@jdsx Fuzzy Ducks

I think these are our teams.

The Purple Cow TopManager and Duncan Gardner have sides too I believe.
                          Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 22-10-2020, 04:36. Reason: Using information from Levin.

Comment

The Georgetown Runners are defunct and you missed jdsx 's Fuzzy Ducks. I'll get the league setup tomorrow.

Comment

Cor. Two Baptist Jr. centurions in my opening Y2 match against Longeared's nippers - and I still get soundly beaten by 33 runs....

Comment

I wondered whether I'd missed something with this talk of the new league season. I had in my mind that it doesn't start until next week.

Turns out that now I check, I was basically right, in that it doesn't start for me until next week

Comment

@Favourite Worst Nightmare

Interesting question. The short answer is I think you should limit yourself to 3 fast bowlers. However, this is my view and to some degree is subjective.

Let's say the benefit of 1 fast bowler compared to a fast medium is X. Whilst the maximum variety bonus if 5Y (for 5 different bowling types). It is not public knowledge the value of Y compared to X, but there is to some degree a consensus view within FTP.

FWT - you have essentially asked if (a) 3Y + X > (b) 4Y

* a is based on 2 RF's + 2 LF's + any other bowler type (3 bowling types in total = 3Y) + the added benefit of a fast bowler (X).
                                  * b is based on a number of combinations, but the 1 less fast bowler allows you to increase your variety bonus by 1 (4Y). However, at the expense of a Fastie (No X).
                                  * X is obviously on the basis your F's have similar skills to FM's

I would say 3Y + X > 4Y could be true on Hard, Uneven and maybe Green.
                                  However, X is not as strong on Slow, Dry or Crumbling. Hence. 3Y + X > 4Y is probably not true on half the pitches on FTP if not more.

*Essentially, I don't think a bowling attack of 2 LF's + 2 RF's is better than 3 Fast bowlers + 1FM in the majority of circumstances. The benefit of 4 fast bowler compared to 3 is in the majority of times not preferable to the additional variety bonus, given the benefit of a fastie is both expensive and not that significant on a decent number of pitch types. I think there are better ways of spending your money than buying 4 fast bowlers. In FTP you will never need 4 Fast bowlers (in the same way you need 3 spinners on Dry) - moreover, 4 fast bowlers is often not desirable.

Therefore, given the expense of fast bowlers, especially given how rare LF's are, I don't think 4 fast bowlers is practical, given two good quality LF's and RF's is costly. Moreover, the vast majority of FTP club teams only have two fast bowlers for this reason. Moreover, in my view, 3 fast bowlers constitute an aggressive lineup which I would consider to be the FTP equivalent of the 'nuclear warhead' approach you have described. As Levin has said - whilst the variety bonus is significant it is not of the utmost importance. Nevertheless, when you couple the variety bonus with the practicalities of having 4 fast bowlers (who have similar skills to alternative FM's) I think it's best to stick to 3F's.

TM

Last edited by TopManager; 22-10-2020, 13:52. Reason: Text in bold so you can understand the point without mathematical notation

Comment

Yeah, I was about to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                      Cor. Two Baptist Jr. centurions in my opening Y2 match against Longeared's nippers - and I still get soundly beaten by 33 runs....
                                      You were a bit unfortunate there given that we had a nice flat deck and most of my runs came from Pedrotti who is off to the seniors (transfer list) soon and England who is potentially on the list of possible sales in the near future.

After I blagged on here at the weekend about not losing a match since August I managed to get beat in the T20 on Tuesday. Wasn't too upset about that as I got knocked off the top of the division and might not have to get my arse kicked in the second division now.

Comment

On the basis of that post, TopManager should be working as an analyst for a real team

Comment

Yeah, that's a very good post.

Invites are out.

I was very glad to see that I'd been outbid on a player when I logged on. I had a mind blank last night and bid 50k on a player I didn't really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                            Yeah, that's a very good post.

Invites are out.

I was very glad to see that I'd been outbid on a player when I logged on. I had a mind blank last night and bid 50k on a player I didn't really need.
                                            I've accepted mine, thanks for organising it.

Comment

TopManager

Some very simple questions to start with.*

What size should our stadium be?
                                              Mine is 10k capacity which I'm close to filling against human managers.

What level should the academies be at?
                                              My senior is good and my youth is excellent.

How big should a squad be and what should it be made up off?
                                              I've got 14 in both at the moment, with only one wicketkeeper in each.

What's the best training to select?
                                              I've gone for batting and bowling technique, all rounder and keeper batsmen since day one.

*possibly

Comment

Last week, I posed some orders in which I highlighted some good tactical ideas. For the fun, I'm going to explain some mistakes I made 5 seasons ago, which I now wouldn't make now. The pitch was Dry/Overcast

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/scor...gameId=4752514

1) My top 3 batsmen were on N, D & D. I gave too much thought to the weather. In hindsight, on Dry, it's best to ignore the weather in regards to your top 3 batsmen. Dry gives seam bowlers a slight disadvantage. Hence, it's important to get off to a flyer with the bat. As a result, my orders were too defensive and Zimbabwe could have scored more runs in the first 10 overs. Now, I never would have any of my top 3 batsmen on Defensive. Now I often go A/N/N or sometimes even A/N/A with defensive orders for the middle-order batsman.

2) With the Bowling orders, from the 10th over to the drinks break, the bowling side needs to stop the run flow, and take wickets. Often on Dry, you will see set batsmen on Aggesive/Normal continue to score at a good rate until well after the spinners come on. Therefore, wickets are the best way to curb the run rate. I should have had both my strike bowlers bowling earlier (Wikes an RWS was not introduced until the 20th over). In addition, I should have had more aggressive orders during this period.

3) Secondly, my two RWS rarely bowled in tandem with each other. This was an unnecessary complication. The variety bonus is calculated at the start of the innings and does not consider who is bowling in tandem with whom.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  TopManager

Some very simple questions to start with.*

What size should our stadium be?
                                                  Mine is 10k capacity which I'm close to filling against human managers.

What level should the academies be at?
                                                  My senior is good and my youth is excellent.

How big should a squad be and what should it be made up off?
                                                  I've got 14 in both at the moment, with only one wicketkeeper in each.

What's the best training to select?
                                                  I've gone for batting and bowling technique, all rounder and keeper batsmen since day one.

*possibly
                                                  1) Subjective - I expand my stadium by 2000 every time I reach full capacity a couple of times.

2) That seems fine. I would say if you plan to keep your players for a long time, have a higher academy level. I have a team of 21-year-olds and have a Lavish academy. However, this means I cannot afford to do anything with my youth team. However, my affiliate is a youth farm with a deluxe academy

3) No more than 16-17 players. You can always play a batsman as a keeper when you are expected to win easily to give your keeper a break.

4) If your players are young train Primaries ('batting, bowling technique, all-rounder, fielding and keeper batsmen) - Once your players get to 25-26 you need to consider Power and Endurance.*

* Power training because it's not that effective until players reach the age of 24. Endurance, because players fatigue quicker as they get older.
                                                  Last edited by TopManager; 22-10-2020, 14:25.

Comment

I've learnt more from 6 posts from TopManager (one of which was him saying hello) than I have in 3 years of playing the game.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X