No announcement yet.

Cricketing Timewaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ad hoc seems to be buying virtually all the players I'm looking at....

Comment

bidding on =/= buying

(luckily, since I've bids in on about 15 players at the moment. Past experience suggests I'll end up with about 1 of them)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        I presume that today is the opening day of the season for all of us (and it seems to go Monday - Youth 20/20; Tuesday - Senior 20/20; Thursday - Youth one day; Friday - Senior one day)
        Yeah, it's first day of the new season for everyone and we all have a weekly calendar of fixtures as described above. We just play at different times of the day depending on what country everyone is in - some have obviously already played, whereas I'm not starting until 1pm (UK) and I presume delicatemoth in the West Indies will be later still. You can see what time all the events will occur by going to Office -> Schedule - if you're in the UK add one hour as times are in GMT (or use the clock in the top right to ascertain the current game time). So your financial update should take place approximately half an hour before your match starts.

Not especially looking forward to my match today, we're up against a human team and they've prepared a crumbling pitch. I don't really set up the youths to field two spinners so we could have some problems here. Though it's not as bad as my selection dilemma for tomorrow when I have to leave out either my highest paid player or the bloke who scored 178 last match, or play a fill in fifth bowler.

FWIW my wage bill was somewhere around $60k when I manually added it up last week, highest paid $4716 - I ran a similar principle to ad hoc in having a $3k limit with a couple of players outside the cap.

Comment

I hate the bidding thing. The reason I've never used EBay. You bid on someone, wait x hours, and then 30 seconds before the deadline someone outbids you, and if you happen to be doing something else at that precise time, you're fucked. Fucking infuriating.

Comment

For budgeting purposes, my gate money revenue for the last week of last season (the only full week I got after joining) was about 50k. So that's probably what I should be working on as a weekly budget once the sponsorship money disappears. Whoops. Though I still have a fair amount of money in the bank that I can draw on.

I agree with ad hoc about the bidding. I think Xpert Eleven's system is much fairer.

Comment

But I'm getting 150k a week from sponsors at the moment. Obviously 50k is about to drop off, but I should get 100k still. So a 150k weekly budget in normal times?

Comment

(still thinking alound)

And my weekly outgoings look something like:
                90k wages
                50k academies
                8k stadium upkeep

So I reckon I should be breaking even, more or less.

Comment

I quite like the bidding process, but maybe I’m not buying good enough players! Playing a human in a T20 in about 12 hours, the only human in my division. I’ve got almost all the new signings playing, including dm’s mate Seth.

Wages 38k, suggesting the squads really aren’t good enough.

Comment

*cough* Wages £199,000 *shuffles feet*

Comment

I guess gate money and sponsorship money may vary as we may be at different levels depending on which country we ended up in.

Comment

Thanks AE for the reminder. My team is Murali's Webbing albeit dormant so far

Comment

Great name, nice to see you here again.

Comment

Hmm. I haven't yet. I wonder if it is timed according to country like matches are
                            Think it must be, I haven't had mine. My team's fixture starts at 3 pm or thereabouts I think, guess the same's true for you.

IIRC I have two players earning over 10 grand, that might be three by the end of the day. If I get cashflow problems guess I'll just have to list/sack one or more of them. I'm concerned that the appeal might drop off when Pavilion membership runs out as if I understand right that gets you the lion's share of the stats, so I'm not playing a long game.

Sorry to go on about this, but are fast bowlers and wrist spinners as rare in real life as they seem to be here?

As a night owl with lots of time in my hands I have to sympathise with ad hoc regarding transfers. Not suggesting everyone should do the same, but if I see an OTF team is bidding on someone I'll move on. So I should probably memorise the team names list then...

Oh yeah, very impressed with the friendly attendance figures, I'm pretty sure they compare favourably to the non-festival county matches I've been to.

Comment

Of course if you’re only bidding on one player, you can leave your agent in charge with a maximum bid. I’ve done that for “tonight” (as I call it) on a Bermudan wicketkeeper.

Less stressful than the bidding war I just got into on an accomplished bowler. Far too easy to get carried away as the deadline closes in. I didn’t get him, and now I’m quite relieved.

Comment

Yes, i was bidding on him in the early rounds, but then it got too rich for my blood

Comment

Wear the wicketkeeper or the bowler I just missed out on?

Comment

The bowler. Went for approximately 25k in the end? (I dropped out before 10k)

Comment

I was bidding on a player called Stephen Baugh, intending to max out at about 25k. Got outbidded with about 40 minutes to go and took a deep breat and bid just over 30k for him. Outbid again and gave up. Looked again and with 10 minutes left he was going for 250k. 5 minutes later for 330k. Don't know what he finally went for. Also don't know whether I was really close to getting a real bargain or that unless you are online at the bidding deadline you are never going to get a player who is actually in demand.

Comment

Levin Wellworth in the West Indies
                                        longeared Nuhiu Rules in the Netherlands
                                        Antepli Ejderha The Zeugma Ferrets in Sri Lanka but moving to Ireland
                                        ad hoc The Csiki Nurdles in the West Indies
                                        Sits Kakanui Casuals in New Zealand
                                        pebblethefish Village Flowers in England
                                        delicatemoth Georgetown Runners in the West Indies
                                        Etienne Croesoswallt Dragons in New Zealand
                                        Duncan Gardner Murali's Webbing in Ireland
                                        Vicarious Thrillseeker Bagillt Baptists in Pakistan but moving to Ireland
                                        jdsx Fuzzy Ducks in Canada

An updated list of who's in and where they are located.

Comment

My two fast bowlers went elsewhere. I've just realised that my balance sheet looks bad because I spent 77k on transfers so we're probably at break even. The gate money is also useful, it's not much at the moment but could become quite important.

Comment

Your gate receipts will be higher when the senior team play - youth T20 have by far the lowest receipts, especially if you're away.

Lost my match by nine wickets. Frustrating that, we got into a reasonable position halfway through our innings then got tied down by their spinners. I see what pebble means about needing someone who can hit for power up the order. Then when they came to bat our second spinner went for 51 runs in his four overs, very much a case of "if I could actively change match instructions I would". Still we took it to the 18th over so not too horrific on the NRR.

Comment

I've just had a tournament invitation from a manager called Nepal, but wanting to go through Facebook or other social media, so I've declined. It just sounded a little weird.

Comment

They asked me as well.

My team are currently introducing some propriety to 20/20. Having made 108 for 4 we have the opposition 10 for 2 after 4 overs. I did set my tail to bat 'attacking' but none of them actually made it to the oche.

Comment

I got 238-3 in my 2020 match up, which seems like a total I ought to stand a chance of defending

Also i got the Nepal email

Comment

The bowler. Went for approximately 25k in the end? (I dropped out before 10k)
                                                    23k, but there were about 40 seconds on the clock and I just asked myself if I was really that bothered to keep going.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X