Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt J's "Word Racing" timewaster/game for the stay-at-home COVID-19 days of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moody tooth fairy.

Comment

Ended third twice.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
        Ended third twice.
        Very good!

Comment

Sheep snoop daily.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
            Only hot orange, who had started so brightly, decided to fall off the pace, stopping for a Gin and Tonic, a small bite to eat, and then the required loo break.
            I mean, how could you know?

Comment

Whiny Llull loser

[context: Ramon Llull was one of the earliest mathematicians investigating voting systems. The concepts of Llull winner and Llull loser are named after him. See G. Hägele & F. Pukelsheim (2001). "Llull's writings on electoral systems". Studia Lulliana. 41: 3–38.]

edit: the link is dead, but somehow I can't find my way around this editor. When I try to edit this post, I get the version including markup, instead of the version with bbcode; hence I cannot remove the link. If anybody has any pro tips on how to toggle between the two, I'll be much obliged.
              Last edited by Wouter D; 18-03-2020, 10:20.

Comment

Oooh, good turnout so far. I can only assume the missing racers are plotting strategy and tactics.

All entries deemed valid. Though some got a long side-eye from the judge in his early morning stupor.

Comment

Shave hairy beard

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                    I mean, how could you know?
                    The race reporter only reports what he sees or what he's told. or what he makes up. Only those three things.
                    Last edited by matt j; 18-03-2020, 17:32.

Comment

I expect I'll close the race/start tallying results about the same time today as yesterday, so 5-6 hours. I think we're still awaiting Vicarious Thrillseeker ad hoc and Kevin S, if my count is correct.

New racers are still welcome, lots of clues available by this point.

Comment

Unzip brain input

Comment

Zebra oozed booze

Comment

Carer emits odour

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                              Carer emits odour
                              damn, not sure how I missed you my earlier count. Also I hope this is an entry, not an actual complaint, in which case do tell us where to send soap and/or the authorities.

All entries deemed valid so far.

Comment

Okay......Pipes throw horse. Martin and David, of course.

Comment

Last call for new racers!

I personally have a feeling that someone may have broken at least part of the code for this season.
                                  Last edited by matt j; 18-03-2020, 17:34.

Comment

I'm gonna guess Wouter or Kevin.

Comment

Results of Race #3:

With the traditional spectacle of clog dancing, hair-braiding, and sampling of the local delicacy - burdock, fried, with a toadstool based dipping sauce - completed, the racers locked their landing gear into place and fired up the old generators for the hilly, snow-covered route ahead of them.

From the jump at the sound of the official flute trill, a handful of the racers looked primed for a good clean, chemically-enhanced, bad-tempered, in-the-trenches-combat, classic. Sean of the Shed and the ad hoc team looked particularly feisty, herring-boning their way through the snow like the seasoned veterans they are. Coming up with a decent first-leg was San Bernardhinault and Kevin S, the buzzing of their threadbare batteries noticeable for miles around.

Not getting the jump were sits and diable rouge, perhaps wary of the upcoming headwinds, perhaps enjoying an extra helping of burdock.

Into the second-leg, and the crashing lake waves made things difficult for almost every racer, causing intense slowdowns for everyone but the bear pennant, ursus arctos, ye olde minor league (TM) word racing champion delicatemoth, and the big "D" of Wouter D.

But crossing through the headwinds clearly took it's toll on the front three of ad hoc, Wouter D, and Sean of the Shed, each struggling and fighting to maintain their position, while the pack closed in behind them, using them for cover from the blasting frigid wind, cutting through parkas, anoraks, and ski masks as if they weren't even there. Lo, but it was cold. Like the depths of ancient Hades. Freezing even.

Already well off the pace, and now drifting even further back of the so-called peloton, were lambers, diable rouge, and Southport Zeb. Each nearly a full leg behind the leaders. It appears that success does go to racers heads, as lambers repeatedly stopped to take selfies with the local pedestrians, or should I say, penguins.

Into the last leg, where it was anybody's race! Unless the anybody was anybody not going by the name of "the ad hoc team"! Headwind penalty or no, the chugging of pistons and flapping of wings could not be stopped as the word racing season saw it's first winner who had led at each third of the of race. A easily phrased distinction that isn't at all made up for the purposes of this report! Behind them came the ever present Kevin S, dapper in tweed, deerstalker cap, and racing stripes, and in a much approved return-to-form by the two-or-three youngsters in attendance, the roaring, honking, furred pennant of ursus arctos.

The winner's curse struck again, as down at the bottom, barely having enough energy to slide to the finish line, lambers, trailing diable rouge and a frustrated Southport Zeb.

In the middle of the pack, was the middle of the pack. Mediocrity never wins fans gentle racers! A lesson to be learned for sure.
                                      Last edited by matt j; 19-03-2020, 13:09. Reason: "Ursos"

Comment

Team/User Place Race #3 Points Race #3
                                        ad hoc 1 36
                                        Kevin S 2 34
                                        ursus arctos 3 32
                                        sporting 4 30
                                        Sean of the Sead 5 28
                                        Wouter D 6 26
                                        San Bernardhinault 7 24
                                        nmrfox 8 22
                                        Andrew7160 9 20
                                        slackster 10 18
                                        Hot Orange 11 16
                                        delicatemoth 12 14
                                        elguapo04 13 12
                                        Vicarious Thrillseeker 14 10
                                        sits 15 8
                                        Southport Zeb 16 6
                                        diable rouge 17 4
                                        lambers 18 2
                                        Last edited by matt j; 19-03-2020, 13:09.

Comment

Team/User Points Race#1 Points Race #2 Points Race #3 Season Points
                                          andrew7610 18 32 20 70
                                          Wouter D 16 24 26 66
                                          Kevin S 2 26 34 62
                                          San Bernardhinault 8 30 24 62
                                          ad hoc 6 18 36 60
                                          delicatemoth 14 28 14 56
                                          sean of the shed 4 22 28 54
                                          ursus arctos 20 2 32 54
                                          lambers 12 36 2 50
                                          sits 34 8 42
                                          slackster 10 14 18 42
                                          Sporting 12 30 42
                                          Vicarious Thrillseeker 22 4 10 36
                                          hot orange 16 16 32
                                          nmrfox 6 22 28
                                          Southport Zeb 20 6 26
                                          elguapo04 10 12 22
                                          diable rouge 8 4 12

Comment

I feel like my race report gave short shrift to a very good showing from Sporting, so to make up for that, his sentence: "tanks flank yanks" scored 96.

Comment

The fourth race, also known as the Perec Memorial Race:

A long curving path that winds through unknown towns.
                                              Various hints of spring color,
                                              but fans stay away and visual artists not on call.
                                              A slowdown coming for any
                                              who fail to trust a warning.

Comment

Ok I'm going to continue to plough this furrow.

Actually ploughing implies some kind of intended straight line.... This is more of a pootle in a general direction.

Ozone zonks Nazis

Comment

Yucky virus kills

Comment

Poppy pizza chain

Comment

Working...
                                                    X